Nose wobble any time stick is used AT ALL

Awesomejlee

Why does the nose wobble so badly in this thing? I understand at high AOA it is supposed to, but I can't shoot down a plane flying straight because the nose just wobbles back and forth CONSTANTLY. I'm not going too slow. 200 knots. I've tried it all all speeds. It's trimmed out. None of the other WW2 birds do this. I've never seen it do it in gun cam footage in real jugs. What's going on with it?

Are you sure that you are not over controling your plane, very often issue with standard joystick available for gamers.

Edited by grafspee

System specs: I7 14700KF, Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Elite, 64GB DDR4 3600MHz, Gigabyte RTX 4090,Win 11, 48" OLED LG TV + 42" LG LED monitor

17 hours ago, Awesomejlee said:

Why does the nose wobble so badly in this thing? I understand at high AOA it is supposed to, but I can't shoot down a plane flying straight because the nose just wobbles back and forth CONSTANTLY. I'm not going too slow. 200 knots. I've tried it all all speeds. It's trimmed out. None of the other WW2 birds do this. I've never seen it do it in gun cam footage in real jugs. What's going on with it?

Having the cowl flaps open at >200mph causes buffeting.

I experienced the same twitching and wobbling.  I added some curve to my joystick settings.

I flew the P-47 again and it still twitched... but not as bad.  I added more curve... but I was disheartened because I didn’t think I should have to add so much curve and I was afraid maybe DCS did something wrong..... until I saw this video that explains why WW2 birds feel twitchy in DCS:

https://youtu.be/Gs2m-xlyK7o

I added a little more curve (about as much as in the video) and it flew more solid... but still had a bit of twitch to it.

looking in the external view I noticed my rudder would flop over when I was moving my ailerons.  I checked my joystick settings and realized there’s a sharp spike in the rudder axis near the dead zone of my joystick.

I think it’s a worn pot or maybe a dirty pot.  I added (I think) 15 to the dead zone and now it flies perfectly with my old ass $20 joystick.

From NACA raport

mAwmq0T.png

And this is exactly what we do with short sticks. I have big problem with this in warthog stick, centering spring is so strong that i can not control my stick movement there. I think i need to change this spring to be a little weaker.

Edited by grafspee

System specs: I7 14700KF, Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Elite, 64GB DDR4 3600MHz, Gigabyte RTX 4090,Win 11, 48" OLED LG TV + 42" LG LED monitor

1 hour ago, grafspee said:

From NACA raport

mAwmq0T.png

And this is exactly what we do with short sticks. I have big problem with this in warthog stick, centering spring is so strong that i can not control my stick movement there. I think i need to change this spring to be a little weaker.

I have the same problem with my Warthog on a 20cm extension if my rudder coordination is bad (which is most of the time). 

9 hours ago, grafspee said:

From NACA raport

mAwmq0T.png

A short extension will make all the difference, 7-10cm. Makes the standard spring perfect. You need to mount below your desk though.

On 4/22/2021 at 11:08 PM, Barrett_g said:

I experienced the same twitching and wobbling.  I added some curve to my joystick settings.

I flew the P-47 again and it still twitched... but not as bad.  I added more curve... but I was disheartened because I didn’t think I should have to add so much curve and I was afraid maybe DCS did something wrong..... until I saw this video that explains why WW2 birds feel twitchy in DCS:

https://youtu.be/Gs2m-xlyK7o

I added a little more curve (about as much as in the video) and it flew more solid... but still had a bit of twitch to it.

looking in the external view I noticed my rudder would flop over when I was moving my ailerons.  I checked my joystick settings and realized there’s a sharp spike in the rudder axis near the dead zone of my joystick.

I think it’s a worn pot or maybe a dirty pot.  I added (I think) 15 to the dead zone and now it flies perfectly with my old ass $20 joystick.

excellent video, and explanation.  I've used this with my Jug, and it sure helps with the twitchy-ness.  thanks for the link.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gs2m-xlyK7o

MSI MAG Z790 Carbon, i9-13900k, NH-D15 cooler, 64 GB CL40 6000mhz RAM, MSI RTX4090, Yamaha 5.1 A/V Receiver, 4x 2TB Samsung 980 Pro NVMe, 1x 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD, Win 11 Pro, TM Warthog, Virpil WarBRD, MFG Crosswinds, 43" Samsung 4K TV, 21.5 Acer VT touchscreen, TrackIR, Varjo Aero, Wheel Stand Pro Super Warthog, Phanteks Enthoo Pro2 Full Tower Case, Seasonic GX-1200 ATX3 PSU, PointCTRL, Buttkicker 2, K-51 Helicopter Collective Control

Are you using a twist grip for rudder?

🇺🇦  SLAVA UKRAINI  🇺🇦

MoBo - ASUS 990FX R2 Sabertooth,     CPU - AMD FX 9590 @4.7Gb. No OC
RAM - GSkill RipJaws DDR3 32 Gb @2133 MHZ,   GPU - EVGA GeForce GTX 1660Ti 6Gb DDR5 OC'd, Core 180MHz, Memory 800MHz
Game drive - Samsung 980 M.2 EVO 1Tb SSD,    OS Drive - 860 EVO 500Gb SATA SSD, Win10 Pro 22H2

Controls - Thrustmaster T-Flight HOTAS X,   Monitor - LG 32" 1920 X 1080,   PSU - Prestige ATX-PR800W PSU

• 3 weeks later...