How to enslave the IRMV to the TPOD?

RacoonE69

Given that there have been changes from 2.7, I ask you what changes have been with respect to the previous procedure:

Once a target is locked.

1. TDC Fwd (IRMV) is pressed

2. Press cage / uncage

3. Press TDC Down (repeatedly, until you lock)

It currently did the above, but failed to get the Mav to lock

Help is appreciated. Greetings

Fired a couple of IRMAV last night (TDC Action/No Action enabled in Special Settings) , but identified/locked the target with the DMT, I know, not the same thing but the procedure was exactly as you described... I don't think it would be different with the TPOD

Edited by Draken35

hace 42 minutos, Draken35 dijo:

Fired a couple of IRMAV last night (TDC Action/No Action enabled in Special Settings) , but identified/locked the target with the DMT, I know, not the same thing but the procedure was exactly as you described... I don't think it would be different with the TPOD

I have also been able to shoot the maverick directly, but going from the targets detected by the TPOD to being blocked by the mav, I have not succeeded

24 minutes ago, RacoonE69 said:

I have also been able to shoot the maverick directly, but going from the targets detected by the TPOD to being blocked by the mav, I have not succeeded

You got me curious so just did a quick test. Fired 2 IRMAV using the tpod with TDC Action/No Action ... Same process as before, no issues...

The only difference (and I didn't think about it in my prior post) between using DMT and TPOD is that if you are using the TPOD, you have to take it out of HOTAS mode (SSS Depress twice) before SSS Forward to box the IRMV in the HUD... (I just noticed that toy said TDC Fwd in your step 1, btw)

So:

1. Identify & track you target with the TPOD

2. SSS Depress twice (since you will most likely be in HOTAS mode)

3.  SSS Fwd

4. Cage/Uncage (LEFT MCPD must be on the stores page)

IRMV Seeker will be slaved to TPOD at this point

5. TDC down as necessary until IRMV lock

Hope this helps!

• Thanks 1

hace 30 minutos, Draken35 dijo:

You got me curious so just did a quick test. Fired 2 IRMAV using the tpod with TDC Action/No Action ... Same process as before, no issues...

The only difference (and I didn't think about it in my prior post) between using DMT and TPOD is that if you are using the TPOD, you have to take it out of HOTAS mode (SSS Depress twice) before SSS Forward to box the IRMV in the HUD... (I just noticed that toy said TDC Fwd in your step 1, btw)

So:

1. Identify & track you target with the TPOD

2. SSS Depress twice (since you will most likely be in HOTAS mode)

3.  SSS Fwd

4. Cage/Uncage (LEFT MCPD must be on the stores page)

IRMV Seeker will be slaved to TPOD at this point

5. TDC down as necessary until IRMV lock

Hope this helps!

Thanks for helping.

Do you have the TDC Action / No Action enabled from the Options? It's something I don't have.

The rest I think we do the same.

I will keep trying.

Thanks again

Note that you're going to get a bit of a curveball with a moving target. I reported it in bugs though truly it may not be, but as soon as you leave TPOD HOTAS the TPOD will revert to INR. This is fine for a stationary target, but if you had a PTRK going, the second you SSS down twice, the reticle will fall behind a moving target. When you SSS forward to take control of your IRMV, you may have to reposition the mav to re-obtain the target, which can be be pretty tricky with they way the Harrier handles direct Maverick control.

I'm having similer trouble. Once I've locked a targert with the TPOD and handover to the IRMV, if I slew the maverick at all, I can't seem to slave it back to the TPOD. I would've thought selecting the TPOD again as the SOI would reset the maverick and slave back to the TPOD. I'm confussed. 

Edited by SimpleSimon

"

On 4/23/2021 at 4:07 AM, LastRifleRound said:

Note that you're going to get a bit of a curveball with a moving target. I reported it in bugs though truly it may not be, but as soon as you leave TPOD HOTAS the TPOD will revert to INR. This is fine for a stationary target, but if you had a PTRK going, the second you SSS down twice, the reticle will fall behind a moving target. When you SSS forward to take control of your IRMV, you may have to reposition the mav to re-obtain the target, which can be be pretty tricky with they way the Harrier handles direct Maverick control.

This is exactly the problem I have been having.  I can lock up the target just fine, but once you change out of TPOD HOTAS control, the lock is gone and the TPOD wanders off into Kansas somewhere.  😞

On 4/23/2021 at 10:07 AM, LastRifleRound said:

In fact what I have seen is that the TPOD in PT mode is following the target automatically, but the "slaved" maverick is not. As soon as you move the TPOD to lose the target, the maverick starts to follow the TPOD again, until you reacquire the target. The TPOD follows it automatically again, but the maverick frozes in the last TPOD position where it reacquired the target O_O

• Like 1

15 hours ago, LastRifleRound said:

Did you hit uncage while still in TPOD HOTAS mode?

Yes of course. If you don't uncage the mav, you don't even get image from the MAV seeker head in the MFD.

1. set HOTAS mode. TPOD is "master"

2. set PT mode

3. slew TPOD to the target

4. TPOD acquires the target and follows it

5. Uncage mav. MAV seeker head is static on the position where the target was adquired. It doesn't follow the target/TPOD

6. move the TPOD to release target. MAV seeker jumps, magically, to the position of the TPOD

7. Slew TPOD to the target. Maverick seeker head follows TPOD

8. TPOD adquires the target and follows it. MAV seeker head freezes on the position where the target was re-acquired

etc...

17 hours ago, daemon1808 said:

Yes of course. If you don't uncage the mav, you don't even get image from the MAV seeker head in the MFD.

1. set HOTAS mode. TPOD is "master"

2. set PT mode

3. slew TPOD to the target

4. TPOD acquires the target and follows it

5. Uncage mav. MAV seeker head is static on the position where the target was adquired. It doesn't follow the target/TPOD

6. move the TPOD to release target. MAV seeker jumps, magically, to the position of the TPOD

7. Slew TPOD to the target. Maverick seeker head follows TPOD

8. TPOD adquires the target and follows it. MAV seeker head freezes on the position where the target was re-acquired

etc...

Got crossed up with the Hornet, you're right, MAV video won't come up in the Harrier unless you've uncaged. I'll test this out but if I recall I was getting tracking on the MAV.

Is there any heads up regarding this from someone knowledgeable? It's literally impossible to slave mav to tpod or dmt after you move it and it goes into ground stabilisation. The only way is to shoot it and switch to the next one. Is there a new correct way to do it?

• 7 months later...

If you move IRMAV sensor once uncaged it wil unslave from other sensors, it seems that you have to press DESG to undesignate on HSD - it will re-set the sensor to the center and slave it again. Not sure if this is how it supposed to work IRL.

Edited by hetman_

• 6 months later...
1 hour ago, EconomicSacks said:

DCS 2.7.15 openbeta, you must use the DMT because it will kick the TPOD off of the MFD and replace with the IRMAV seeker head

Nope, using the TPOD to ID and designate targets when armed with IRMAV is still a viable strategy.

This thread/post explains the basics

https://forum.dcs.world/topic/263292-trouble-with-irmav/?do=findComment&comment=4910059

While this video covers a more advance method using TPOD TOO target points to ripple fire 4x IRMAV's in a single pass.

However it should be noted that, doing so is somewhat of an anachronism as, by the time the TPOD could be mounted on the center line (2012?),  the USMC had stopped using IRMAV's and switched to exclusively using LMAV's i.e. using the DMT with IRMAV's is a better "historic" match.

Edited by Ramsay

i9 9900K @4.7GHz, 64GB DDR4, RTX4070 12GB, 1+2TB NVMe, 6+4TB HD, 4+1TB SSD, Winwing Orion 2 F-15EX Throttle + F-16EX Stick, TPR Pedals, TIR5, Win 10 Pro x64, 1920X1080