VR controller enforce laser beam for everyone.

Fri13

The 2.7 update made great progress in immersion and usability by hiding the laser beams in the cockpit.

There was discussion that old laser beam should come as opt-in choice to VR settings so those who need it can enable it.

The hotfix patch in 22.04 does enforce the laser beam even when not enabled and there is no way to disable it.

This is how the 2.7 feature worked:

• Like 1

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.

13 hours ago, Dannyvandelft said:

No. Hiding the laser beam was stupid. Has nothing to do with immersion.

So, your argument is that real pilots has these magical laser beams coming from their pilot gloves (that must cost a lot...) so they can press button, flip switches and all without touching them but just pointing at them from other side of the cockpit and "pull a trigger" to click them?

Or your argument would be that real pilots has mouse/trackball in their cockpit and they use it to click things as well....

As it can not be more immersive if it is more realistic.... ?

The VR gloves immersion is that you need to use your hands to operate proper sides of the cockpit. Meaning you are not going to use your right hand to reach a switch at your left side. Or you are not going to press a right MFCD buttons with left hand when you can't easily reach there. You are not going to take your right hand off from the stick and use left hand to hold stick, just so you can flip a landing gear lever with your right hand.... 

It is just more immersive when you need to use proper hands on proper places and you need to move hands around and push the buttons, flip the switches without magical laser beams from your finger.

Of course people disagree with that, but they need to show the videos from real cockpit where pilots has these magical laser beams...

13 hours ago, Dannyvandelft said:

You have to be able to throw a switch in an instant, not dick around for 3 minutes trying to get the right switch lined up. THAT kills immersion.

I can throw any switch in an instant, I just point my finger on it. The problem is the another bug that makes it annoying experience because you start to flip the switches and press buttons faster than Speedy Gonzales on speed... 

It is faster to flip a switch or press buttons with a finger tip than using a laser beam or mouse. You don't need to try align things up as it is right there on your finger.

But that brings a another bug report about the current glove system, the misaligned glove (you get to it quickly but should be fixed):

3 hours ago, ptisinge said:

I certainly disliked having the laser beam hidden without an option to have it and I'm glad it's back (in the mean time I had switched back to trackball instead)

Why it should be a opt-in for those who want to have the unrealistic laser beam for what ever reason they have... But it should be disabled by the default for VR hands (or at least allow to disable it) as no real pilot has such laser beams going from their index fingers. 

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.

On 4/22/2021 at 10:12 PM, Dannyvandelft said:

No. Hiding the laser beam was stupid. Has nothing to do with immersion. You have to be able to throw a switch in an instant, not dick around for 3 minutes trying to get the right switch lined up. THAT kills immersion.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Dear Sir,

I agree.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Commanding Officer of:

2nd Company 1st financial guard battalion "Mrcine"

See our squads here and our

Croatian radio chat for DCS World

I'm the I like the laser beam for my G2 controller,  I can't 'flip' a switch due to  the physical layout of my desk and laser lets me.

Different question, the laser is back but now the hat on the controller doesn't work like it used to to throw a switch or know up or down,  now all I can get is one way, so I can't even get the battery on, since it only flips to test.  Not how it used to work.  Am I doing something wrong or did something change?  thanks in advance

• Thanks 1