MFDs are difficult to read in mid day conditions.

Rhayvn

Well remember, 2.2 is default (mine has been set to 2.1 since the 2.0 days)

Also that Gamma is more about contrast than actual light/dark, and by having such a low gamma, you're decreasing all midtones down into very dark colors (which would be those entire displays).

From those pictures though, the sky looks equally as bright, the ground loses some contrast, but I'm definitely not seeing whatever it is you are. It's entirely possible your monitor is brighter than it should be or you have something else going on.

But gamma... is not... a brightness slider, and it is not linear.

This is what I mean by telling you two that having gamma in the wrong place is 100% the culprit.

If the game is too bright or looks wrong, adjust your monitor, NOT the game's gamma, if you are doing that, then it entirely means your monitor is out of spec and either too bright or too low contrast or whatever; but the fact remains... gamma is once again, NOT supposed to be used for increasing / decreasing your brightness.

Gamma is logarithmic, and shifts all midtones to be much darker, or much brighter than they should be.

Gamma does NOT increase nor decrease pure whites, or pure blacks.

Hence why in those two photos you just shared, nothing looks blown out, the clouds look virtually the same.

Edited by XCNuse

The outside world is too bright in relation to the cockpit, those 2 instances need to be evened out. I know gamma is not brightness, it affects the shades of gray, but if you increase it the image (grays in the image) appears to be brighter same as if you decrease it the image goes darker.

I have all other games and stuff perfectly right with colors and gamma, monitor brightness etc, I didn't need to set up anything for those games, only DCS that needs tweaking so I assume its DCS then that needs tweaking right?

Can confirm. mfd's are WAY harder to read after the 2.7 patch. I also upgraded my pc, which forced a format, reinstall of windows, and DCS. This happened pre upgrade with 2.7, and also after with a brand new install. It is very frustrating again. It seems like it has been reverted back to the issues the mfd's had when the viper first released or so.

• Like 2

Intel i7 8700K @ 4.8Ghz, Asus RoG Maximus X Formula, 32GB G.Skill Trident Z 3200, EVGA Geforce 2080 Super, 1TB Samsung Evo 970 M.2, 500GB Samsung Pro 860 SSD.

TM Warthog, Saitek Pro Rudder Pedals, Acer 23" x2, Oculus Rift S, FSSB3 Lighting

On 4/22/2021 at 3:05 PM, BIGNEWY said:

please include screenshots / video, your dcs settings and a track replay showing the issue. 

thanks

I've sent you multiple screenshots, multiple times

On 4/22/2021 at 4:39 PM, Rhayvn said:

I have changed nothing since the 2.7 patch and had no issues at any time of day prior to this.  Again, all of my group are having the same issues and we  are a mix of hardware, VR/Track IR and settings.  It's based entirely on time of day.

I realize my gamma is low, but every other aspect of the sim looks great and this was the setting I found helps the most with visually finding other aircraft.  I have to turn the gamma above 2 in order to read the MFD, which makes everything else in the game look overly bright and washed out.

Settings:

image.png

7AM local time.  MFD is easily readable.

image.png

1300 local time.  MFD is barely readable.

image.png

Gamma turned over 2.  MFD is still a bit hard to read and the rest of the sim looks overly white and not crisp on detail.

image.png

This is exactly what my entire squadron sees as well

1. in VR

2. without VR

3. without MODS

TOD  and 2.7 lighting issues - was fine before 2.7

• Like 1

On 4/22/2021 at 4:39 PM, Rhayvn said:

I have changed nothing since the 2.7 patch and had no issues at any time of day prior to this.  Again, all of my group are having the same issues and we  are a mix of hardware, VR/Track IR and settings.  It's based entirely on time of day.

I realize my gamma is low, but every other aspect of the sim looks great and this was the setting I found helps the most with visually finding other aircraft.  I have to turn the gamma above 2 in order to read the MFD, which makes everything else in the game look overly bright and washed out.

Settings:

image.png

7AM local time.  MFD is easily readable.

image.png

1300 local time.  MFD is barely readable.

image.png

Gamma turned over 2.  MFD is still a bit hard to read and the rest of the sim looks overly white and not crisp on detail.

image.png

This is exactly what my entire squadron sees as well

1. in VR

2. without VR

3. without MODS

TOD  and 2.7 lighting issues - was fine before 2.7

edit:  I normally use 1.8 gamma, in these TOD like shown above, I have to turn it to gamma 3 just to see the red datalink contacts on SA and radar mfd's

Edited by USA_Recon

HUD projection in front of the new clouds is also kind of the same deal in VR at the moment.

• Like 1

Lincoln said: “Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power."

Do not expect a reply to any questions, 30.06.2021 - Silenced by Nineline

• 2 weeks later...

duplicate report of by the looks of it

Lincoln said: “Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power."

Do not expect a reply to any questions, 30.06.2021 - Silenced by Nineline

• ED Team

We have reported the MFD brightness to the team for improvement.

thanks

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2