WMR Tray Tweaker Tool

zildac

This looks like an interesting tool from the author of the OTT. Not had a real dig into it as yet but looks useful for setting service and exe priorities plus other potentially useful tweaks.

https://apollyonvr.wixsite.com/vrtools/windows-mixed-reality-tray-tweaker

Update released, can be grabbed from the authors site above or via the in App update function. Having used it for a bit now I can say I had zero qualms about donating, it's very useful.

Edited by zildac
Version update
  • Like 1

12900KF | Maximus Hero Z690 | ASUS 4090 TUF OC | 64GB DDR5 5200 | DCS on 2TB NVMe | WarBRD+Warthog Stick | CM3 | TM TPR's | Varjo Aero

9 minutes ago, zildac said:

This looks like an interesting tool from the author of the OTT. Not had a real dig into it as yet but looks useful for setting service and exe priorities plus other potentially useful tweaks.

https://apollyonvr.wixsite.com/vrtools/windows-mixed-reality-tray-tweaker

Excellent news, I loved using his Oculus Tray Tool back when I was using Rift.

• Like 1

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

15 hours ago, dburne said:

Excellent news, I loved using his Oculus Tray Tool back when I was using Rift.

Likewise 👍 I'm getting a .NET error on launch unfortunately, so I need to have a rummage to see what the issue is before I can do any real testing. The readme is well worth a look through too.

Update: Had an email exchange with the author and the issues I was experiencing now seem resolved. Super quick!

Edited by zildac

12900KF | Maximus Hero Z690 | ASUS 4090 TUF OC | 64GB DDR5 5200 | DCS on 2TB NVMe | WarBRD+Warthog Stick | CM3 | TM TPR's | Varjo Aero

nice! thanks for sharing!  I was also a big OTT user when I used my Rift.

• Like 1

MSI MAG Z790 Carbon, i9-13900k, NH-D15 cooler, 64 GB CL40 6000mhz RAM, MSI RTX4090, Yamaha 5.1 A/V Receiver, 4x 2TB Samsung 980 Pro NVMe, 1x 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD, Win 11 Pro, TM Warthog, Virpil WarBRD, MFG Crosswinds, 43" Samsung 4K TV, 21.5 Acer VT touchscreen, TrackIR, Varjo Aero, Wheel Stand Pro Super Warthog, Phanteks Enthoo Pro2 Full Tower Case, Seasonic GX-1200 ATX3 PSU, PointCTRL, Buttkicker 2, K-51 Helicopter Collective Control

This will so be worth it just to be able to use it for disabling those pre-allocated virtual monitors I have to go in and disable in the registry after each WMR update. I always forget where it was and how to disable.

Edited by dburne
  • Like 3

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

9 hours ago, dburne said:

This will so be worth it just to be able to use it for disabling those pre-allocated virtual monitors I have to go in and disable in the registry after each WMR update. I always forget where it was and how to disable.

..I had no idea the pre-allocated virtual monitors were coming back after WMR updates but just tested and sure enough, they're back !

Thanks for the tip!

..So I just checked in the registry, and I still have the PreallocateVirtualMonitors flag set to 0, but I'm now getting 3 preallocated virtual monitors created when I turn my G2 on, which I definately wasn't getting when I originally set that flag a few months back

image.png

image.png

am I missing something ?

Edited by ShaunX

RYZEN 5900X | 32GB | ASUS Strix RTX3090 | 500GB NVMe OS 1000GB NVMe DCS | Warthog HOTAS | HP Reverb G2 | VA & ViacomPRO

My DCS Apps:    Radio KAOS for DCS      KB Quick - Quick and Easy Kneeboards

8 hours ago, ShaunX said:

..I had no idea the pre-allocated virtual monitors were coming back after WMR updates but just tested and sure enough, they're back !

Thanks for the tip!

..So I just checked in the registry, and I still have the PreallocateVirtualMonitors flag set to 0, but I'm now getting 3 preallocated virtual monitors created when I turn my G2 on, which I definately wasn't getting when I originally set that flag a few months back

image.png

image.png

am I missing something ?

I am not sure, mine had re-enabled so just had to go back in and change it back to 0 which took care of it.

Don B

I checked mine and it had not re-enabled.  Registry entry is still there.

i9 10900KF 3.70GHz (5.30GHz Turbo), MSI RTX 4090 OC 24GB, ASUS Z590-E GAMING Motherboard, CORSAIR Vengeance 64GB DDR4 3600MHz, 2TB Intel 660P M.2 NVMe SSD, Virpil Alpha Joystick, T-50CM3 Throttle, MFG Xwind rudder pedals, Pimax Crystal VR.

Well, I don't appear to be able now to prevent the additional 3 virtual monitors being created when I switch on my G2. Tried deleting the registry entry, rebooting and adding it again. Still 3 additional monitors.

RYZEN 5900X | 32GB | ASUS Strix RTX3090 | 500GB NVMe OS 1000GB NVMe DCS | Warthog HOTAS | HP Reverb G2 | VA & ViacomPRO

1 hour ago, ShaunX said:

Well, I don't appear to be able now to prevent the additional 3 virtual monitors being created when I switch on my G2. Tried deleting the registry entry, rebooting and adding it again. Still 3 additional monitors.

Very strange.

You could always try an uninstall and re-install of WMR, bit of a PITB but does not take too long.

Those virtual monitors always drove me crazy.

Edited by dburne

Don B

Just now, dburne said:

Very strange.

You could always try an uninstall and re-install of WMR, bit of a PITB but does not take too long.

Thanks, yeah I guess I'll give that a go in the morning

2 hours ago, ShaunX said:

Interesting I'm seeing this behavior as well.  Registry entry is in there unchanged and toggling back & forth and/or deleting and re-creating doesn't seem to make a difference... those extra monitors keep reappearing.  I guess I'll give the WMR uninstall/reinstall a try <eek>

• Like 1

i9-9900K @ 5.0GHz, ASUS ROG Z390 MAXIMUS XI HERO, ASUS GeForce RTX 2080Ti 11GB, 32GB DDR4 @ 3866MHZ, 1TB Intel 660P M.2 NVMe SSD, 1TB WD Black SN750 NVMe SSD, Oculus Rift S

I don't see this issue, which is odd. I have uninstalled WMR at least twice I think. And the registry entry remains as is and no extra monitors. I have a single monitor, guess you do too so not a factor?

3 hours ago, ShaunX said:

So I fixed it but potentially unhelpful update here as it’s not clear exactly what did the trick.  

• I uninstalled and reinstalled WMR.  (No immediate fix)
  • I DDU’d & reinstalled nVidia driver 465.89 (No immediate fix)
  • i DDU’d and installed nVidia driver 457.30 (no immediate fix)
  • as a last resort I went into updates and applied all outstanding updates there were only 4-5 if I recall.  The odd thing is it looked like the recently publicized KB5001330 update which I uninstalled earlier this week re-applied (and took forever to do so) and once completed the pre-allocated setting once again seemed to suppress the extra monitors.  Note I’m on Win10 Pro 20H2 service pack.   

Doesn’t make a ton of sense but I guess I was successful... good luck 

• Like 1

i9-9900K @ 5.0GHz, ASUS ROG Z390 MAXIMUS XI HERO, ASUS GeForce RTX 2080Ti 11GB, 32GB DDR4 @ 3866MHZ, 1TB Intel 660P M.2 NVMe SSD, 1TB WD Black SN750 NVMe SSD, Oculus Rift S

Ok, so what is the purpose of this Utility?  (I don't have experience with the Oculus tool)  Does it do something beneficial?

Edited by DerekSpeare

Derek "BoxxMann" Speare

derekspearedesigns.com 25,000+ Gaming Enthusiasts Trust DSD Components to Perform!

i7-11700k 4.9g | RTX3080ti (finally!)| 64gb Ram | 2TB NVME PCIE4| Reverb G1 | CH Pro Throt/Fighterstick Pro | 4 DSD Boxes

Falcon XT/AT/3.0/4.0 | LB2 | DCS | LOMAC

Been Flight Simming Since 1988!

Useful VR settings and tips for DCS HERE

Ok, so what is the purpose of this Utility?  (I don't have experience with the Oculus tool)  Does it do something beneficial?
Have a read of the release notes. Gives a good outline of what it offers.

On 4/23/2021 at 6:48 PM, dburne said:

Very strange.

Tried the following today. I deleted the PreallocateVirtualMonitors registry entry, cleared WMR environmant data, rebooted, uninstalled WMR, rebooted, re-installed WMR, added the registry entry again, rebooted..

Still getting the 3 preallocated monitors !!!

Not sure where to go from here. I've been putting off the 20H2 upgrade, perhaps I should install and see if that makes the difference.

Anyone had problems with 20H2 and DCS ?

33 minutes ago, zildac said:

Been running 20H2 for some time, no noticeable issues for me.

Same here.

Don B

26 minutes ago, zildac said:

Been running 20H2 for some time, no noticeable issues for me.

Thanks, my reluctance is because I've had many week of Windows update problems in which both my Intel and AMD machines fail when trying to implement KB5001330 (which I belive can cause performance problems for some anyway). Tried every troubleshooting method available to no avail. Its failed presence was then causing any other new update to fail to install too, including 20H2.

Finally came across this Microsoft utility - https://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/wushowhide.html which allows you to permanently hide queued updates (Not available direct from MS any more - presumably because they want you to install all their updates!)

Ran that, hid KB5001330 on both machines and all other updates ran through nicely.

So now I guess no excuse and I'll give 20H2 a go

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ShaunX said:

Thanks, my reluctance is because I've had many week of Windows update problems in which both my Intel and AMD machines fail when trying to implement KB5001330 (which I belive can cause performance problems for some anyway). Tried every troubleshooting method available to no avail. Its failed presence was then causing any other new update to fail to install too, including 20H2.

Finally came across this Microsoft utility - https://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/wushowhide.html which allows you to permanently hide queued updates (Not available direct from MS any more - presumably because they want you to install all their updates!)

Ran that, hid KB5001330 on both machines and all other updates ran through nicely.

So now I guess no excuse and I'll give 20H2 a go

Useful tool. Yeah, can't say I noticed any huge issue with that update but given the amount of bad press it got for causing stutters I uninstalled it anyway. I'll give the above a go and hide it for the time being 👍