Any thoughts on bombing???

rkk01

Specifically aiming and putting them on the target???

I’ve had a play with the level and dive bombing settings, but in reality as an intruder your arriving over the target at low level... kind of guess and drop

Edited by rkk01

I think it is a lot about trying out what works for you. I only do dive bombing and try to dive about 45 degrees and fly as stable as possible. I aim with the low end of the reticle, which I still place somewhat above the target. Well, sometimes I hit the target, sometimes I don´t. 

for me the biggest problem is dropping the bombs too low and get an explosive splash back that damages the aircraft. The .08 seconds delay is truly annoying when there was a field modification that introduced a multisecond delay (6 or 12 I think, I may be wrong).

I remember seeing a bombing manual/diagram for the A series. The main points were:

- 45 degree dive

- 600-650 km/h speed

- release at 600m (to avoid the splashback)

I train on ships and I'm ~60% effective with the above approach, need to keep on training. Remember, do NOT use the rudder for corrections during the bombing approach.

600-650...!  

In the Anton!!!  Well you did say in a 45 degree dive

I struggle to get it going that fast 🤔

Anyway sounds like I need to pop up well before the target, give myself enough altitude to drop the bomb in a dive

52 minutes ago, rkk01 said:

600-650...!  

In the Anton!!!  Well you did say in a 45 degree dive

I struggle to get it going that fast 🤔

Anyway sounds like I need to pop up well before the target, give myself enough altitude to drop the bomb in a dive

found the diagram, check it out:

Bombing-in-FW190.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, rkk01 said:

Anyone use the cluster munitions bomb?

not getting the desired effect on soft targets at the mo... poor accuracy probably the main issue, but I thought using a CBU might compensate 🤣

None of the cluster munitions are working correctly in the A8. They all have incorrect trajectories and do not damage targets appropriately. In some cases (SD2 submunitions) they have incorrect fuses too. ED have now removed all mention of cluster munitions from the store page for the A8, so I do not think they have any intention to address these issues any time soon, if at all (NRLTH).

Your best bet is to stick with the SD500A (or SC500J... these are both actually identical, as far as the Lua is concerned). Use the "oV" fuse (the "mV" fuse has bugs). Wagerecht and Sturz makes no difference. Practice by equipping an A8 with an SD500A, unlimited ammunition, first pointing your aircraft gunsight directly at a target (any piece of distinguishable scenery will do), and release at a certain altitude. The exact altitude doesn't matter too much. Lower is more accurate, although too low will risk being caught in the blast damage. I personally use 800m, but anywhere from 500m to 1000m is fine - the important thing is to dive at the same angle and release at the same altitude each time.

Now note how far short the bomb falls. Get back up to the same starting position and repeat the exercise, but this time aim at a point on the ground as far ahead of the target, as the previous shot fell short. Practice this until you get comfortable with hitting the target.

The trick is making your approaches consistent. Then you can start applying a set offset to correct for shortfall. Also bear in mind the wind direction and adjust accordingly but, of course, you can start training in a mission with no wind to get started.

• Thanks 1

Well, that worked a treat...😀

(although I did forget to set unlimited ammo)

I have a few training mission scenarios set up on NTTR - Luftwaffe operating out of Tonopah, Allies from Beatty

First run in, SC500 dropped with two P47s, 6 trucks and several buildings damaged or destroyed - blast damage certainly works for that bomb

Very accurate fire from a 50cal quad inflicted some heavy engine damage, but I limped across the hills for a diversionary landing at Pahute Mesa

Edited by rkk01
  • Like 1

• 6 months later...

"
Here follows the description of a such an attack by an Fw-190F pilot:

Against the enemy tanks and armoured vehicles we usually made skip bombing attacks, running in at speeds of around 485 k.m./h. [300 m.p.h.] at between 4 and 10 m [15 and 30 ft] above the ground and releasing the bomb just as the tank disappeared beneath our engine cowling. The 250 kg bombs used during these attacks would either skip off the ground and into the tank, or else smash straight into the tank, the bombs were fused with a one second delay to give us time to get clear before they went off. It was a very accurate form of attack and we used it often against tanks we caught in open country
"

-Kursk 1943: A Statistical Analysis

For a comprehensive post on fuze timings for the 25C type fuze (which should be the implemented fuze), see here on rel4y's post- it covers everything I see relevant. What DCS is lacking is either a seperate bomb in the loadout menu that differs only in the Zündstellung I & II setting (such as "SC250 Z1" and SC250 Z2"), or for a single SC250 to have a ground crew option (like changing equipment on BF-109K4) that is "change Zündstellung I & II" to adjust the screw for 14 or 0.8s delay

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1