What to do with 'problem' keywords

DOMlNO

Any tips on how to handle keywords that just can't be understood? I tried the Editor | Keyword Training but it doesn't really seem to do anything. The Microsoft Speech Recognition just says 'What was that'? Then 'Moving'. Not really sure how that is supposed to work anyway?

Anyway, have done the voice training several times. Here's an example of one I'm struggling with. I want to give the command Go Wedge, but it recognizes it as Go Wage.

keyword-problem.PNG

Edited by DOMlNO

You can record your own prononciations in the Windows speech dictionary for words that are hard to get recognized. When doing so you should think through if you should add them with the first letter capitalized, for airbase names for example. You can also add words to a block list to prevent them from beeing picked up. For example "tree" could be good to block to avoid getting mixed up with "three" for your nr 3 wingman. 

The big problems are non-english airbase names in combination with using english Windows speech recogition. "Novorosyisk" is impossible to get recognized, for the impossible ones you may need to add another alias in Vaicom as substitute.

Also, make sure that your microphone records audio with enough volume. I have a Sennheiser headset with a good microphone but had major problems in the beginning because when using the mic port on the motherboard the volume was always to low. Bought a cheap USB sound card for just the microphone and never had any problems since.

Edited by Fisherman82
  • Like 2

Thanks for the quick reply. I didn't understand what you meant by Dictionary so it did prompt me to go back and read the manual again... lol, so 👍

I found the Microsoft Dictionary thing in the manual so will give that a try.

Edited by DOMlNO
  • Like 1

Also, a little tip. When "wedge" is understood as "wage" all the time, add "wage" as an alias to "wedge" in the keywords editor.
Apart from that, mostly what Fisherman82 wrote. But I have a 100 percent success rate with airfields after I add them to the Dictionary with a recording. It's just too bad we can't train individual words several times.
One more thing for the future. IF you change the microphone. Remember to make a new profile for it it the Speech Recognition Control Panel and train again. This is best practice according to Voice Attack.
Cheers!

Sent from my MAR-LX1A using Tapatalk

• Like 1

One more tip, I keep a Word-file for my self with all the words I added/recorded/blocked in the Windows speech dictionary and if I added them with capital letter in the beginning and so on. Because I dont think you can backup your changes to the Windows speech dictionary, there was some kind of small software you could download from Microsoft before but that dont work anymore for me.

So if I would loose it somehow I think the only way to restore it is to put add it again, if so the Word-file of exactly what I had there before would make that much faster.

• Like 1

One more tip, I keep a Word-file for my self with all the words I added/recorded/blocked in the Windows speech dictionary and if I added them with capital letter in the beginning and so on. Because I dont think you can backup your changes to the Windows speech dictionary, there was some kind of small software you could download from Microsoft before but that dont work anymore for me.

So if I would loose it somehow I think the only way to restore it is to put add it again, if so the Word-file of exactly what I had there before would make that much faster.
It is possible to backup/copy the Dictionary manually, though I I've never tried to test it on another computer though. So I don't know if it works. Some guy over at the VA Discord made an app, but I don't know if that works as well.
Cheers!

Sent from my MAR-LX1A using Tapatalk

What worked best for me regarding tricky airfields names is using the alias: traffic or atc. 

i5 8400 | 32 Gb RAM | RTX 2080Ti | Virpil Mongoose T-50 base w/ Warthog & Hornet sticks | Warthog throttle | Cougar throttle USB | DIY Collective | Virpil desk mount | VKB T-Rudder Mk IV | Oculus Rift S | Buddy-Fox A-10 UFC | 3x TM MFDs | 2x bass shakers pedal plate| SIMple SIMpit chair | WinWing TakeOff panel | PointCTRL v2 | Andre JetSeat | Winwing Hornet UFC | Winwing Viper ICP

FC3 - Warthog - F-5E - Harrier - NTTR - Hornet - Tomcat - Huey - Viper - C-101 - PG - Hip - SuperCarrier - Syria - Warthog II - Hind - South Atlantic - Sinai - Strike Eagle