P47 vs DCS competitors, IE K4 and D9

Awesomejlee

Where does the 47 perform better than the K4 and D9? I’m having trouble finding information on those two German planes as far as turn performance and altitude performance. From what I could find, it sounds like the D9 can maintain power up at high altitudes (can it do so as well as the 47 can?) and I have no idea about the K4’s altitude performance. Anyone have any idea?

P-47 in DCs from my experience, is able to pump 52" up to 34k ft, where K-4 starts loosing ATA around 24k ft. But both D-9 and K-4 are latest axis planes, which have solved most of problems and they are performing extremely well. P-47 wont get huge advantage at very high alt, i think P-47 wong get any advantage at all.

Fighting at 30k ft is extremely difficulty, very easy to stall, only very gentle turns are possible, don't even thing about looping plane at 30k. Only plane which is able to do it is probably spitfire.

Edited by grafspee

System specs: I7 14700KF, Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite, 64GB DDR4 3600MHz, Gigabyte RTX 4090,Win 11, 48" OLED LG TV + 42" LG LED monitor

P-47 is not a turn fighter, nor is it very good at dogfighting. It's just too big and heavy.

Proper A to A attack is boom and zoom and energy fighting.

The P-47 is better suited for A to G attack with bombs and rockets.

🇺🇦  SLAVA UKRAINI  🇺🇦

MoBo - ASUS 990FX R2 Sabertooth,     CPU - AMD FX 9590 @4.7Gb. No OC
RAM - GSkill RipJaws DDR3 32 Gb @2133 MHZ,   GPU - EVGA GeForce GTX 1660Ti 6Gb DDR5 OC'd, Core 180MHz, Memory 800MHz
Game drive - Samsung 980 M.2 EVO 1Tb SSD,    OS Drive - 860 EVO 500Gb SATA SSD, Win10 Pro 22H2

Controls - Thrustmaster T-Flight HOTAS X,   Monitor - LG 32" 1920 X 1080,   PSU - Prestige ATX-PR800W PSU

23 hours ago, rayrayblues said:

P-47 is not a turn fighter, nor is it very good at dogfighting. It's just too big and heavy.

Proper A to A attack is boom and zoom and energy fighting.

The P-47 is better suited for A to G attack with bombs and rockets.

I disagree on two of those points.

It's not the best dogfighter but it can be very good. It actually has one advantage that I missed in my previous post that I think is somewhat underrated: better instantaneous turn. It takes some practice to learn and requires you to constantly watch your speed but it is enough to score a kill. Plus its guns are devastating if shot at convergence.

On the other hand I found it to be not as good at boom and zoom and energy fighting. It's outclassed by 2 out of 3 German fighters. You can win if you have a large energy advantage at the start and manage to exploit it quickly but that can even be said about the Spitfire.

It is very good at A-G but saying it's purely A-G would be doing it a disservice IMHO.

• Like 2

Problem with energy fighting in the Jug is that it can't climb at all to regain energy from the "boom" phase of zoom and boom. One pass then you might as well disengage. Fighting low-skill A8s is a struggle in the Jug, whereas in the Mustang they can easily be torn to shreds in less than a minute. 

Edited by Nealius

10 hours ago, Nealius said:

Problem with energy fighting in the Jug is that it can't climb at all to regain energy from the "boom" phase of zoom and boom. One pass then you might as well disengage. Fighting low-skill A8s is a struggle in the Jug, whereas in the Mustang they can easily be torn to shreds in less than a minute. 

That's exactly my experience as we'll. On the other hand if you can manage to end up in a turn-fight a kill is just a matter of time (and your marksmanship).

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/2/2021 at 4:04 AM, Nealius said:

I feel different way, Fw190A8 Ace AI just like Sunday driving.

Sorry for my bad flying and shooting 😛

Edited by grafspee

System specs: I7 14700KF, Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite, 64GB DDR4 3600MHz, Gigabyte RTX 4090,Win 11, 48" OLED LG TV + 42" LG LED monitor

The water injection of the P-47 is not bad. Using it in the right moment, it could be an advantage in a dogfight to close the gap to the opponent and brings the Jug in a good fire position.  

F-14b Tomcat   /   AV-8B Harrier   /   F-16C Viper  /   KA-50 Black Shark   /   Mi-24 Hind   /   MiG-21bis   

P-47 vs K-4 Ace AI. Much harder but still even if you start same energy you still have couple opportunities to make a shot.

But this is fighting AI nothing extra ordinary, dogfight against good player is whole different story.

I noticed that some ppl expect that every new  ww2 plane released by ED will be faster then Dora and turn better then Spitfire.

I know where this comes from, other free to play games, uses this logic, so every new plane is faster and better. 

Yes P-47 is not a best diving top low  level speeding, best turning plane, it is just P-47 you need to learn how to fly it.

Edited by grafspee