AI going nuts: impatient take off, refusing to fight, going bingo thus ejecting and crashing into each other on landing

Hello folks,

doing the MiG-29 campaign right now and well... my wingmen are going nuts.

- Holding short, I requested take off clearance. Entering the runway slowly while suddenly my wingman almost bumped into me, thought to use the left half of the runway when suddenly he went full afterburn past me like an impatient maniac...

- I choose "Flight" and told them to engange Bandits. Wingman 2 and 4 said: ok... why did Wingman 3 said negative (they were enough targets)? They all still appeared to be glued to my wing while under attack... it was as if they did'nt understand me.

- After the strange fight... few wingmans called out they're bingo. 1 dude ejected near our target waypoint. No fuel management?

- While landing, I noticed that one maniac was glued to my wing, didn't see the other. Upon landing, I saw that another wingman just crash-landed onto the one who was glued to my wing.... my god.

Stuff like this seems to be happening all the time and kills the immersion if they suddenly goof around and "take it real".... What is going on? I saw a thread from 2019 mentioning that AI runs out of fuel and ejects.... this problem seems to still exist. 

Greetings,

Cabal

• Like 4

FC3, Ka-50, A-10C, AJS-37, MiG-21bis, F-14A/B, F/A-18C, F-16C, NTTR, Persian Gulf, Super Carrier, TacView Advanced

Next in line: F-5 II , MiG-19 , MiG-23 MLA

Wishlist: PA-100 Tornado, F-104 Starfighter, MiG-25 Foxbat, A-6 Intruder

hi

i confirm 1 and 4. the take off and landing ai is disfunctional right now. i even had a wingman as if landing in formation with me, touching down but not braking, so he just drove into trees past the runway. lol

in regards to 3, there is an ancient bug that wingmen call out bingo when they have like 2% fuel left. the bingo calls dont work for some 3 years now.

Edited by dorianR666

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 1600X

GPU: AMD RX 580

It's perfectly realistic AI--if your country's Air Force is manned by drunk 5-year olds 🙂

Usually when I issue any command to my wingmen I just get the usual rubbish:

"2: Unable"

"3: Unable"

"4: Unable"

And then they all call bingo and just eject 🙂  I just have wingmen for the sake of the eye-candy in the sim. They're just about useless for actual missions 🙂

AD

• Like 4

Kit:

B550 Aorus Elite AX V2, Ryzen 7 5800X w/ Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE, 2 x 16GB Kingston Fury DDR4 @3600MHz C16, Gigabyte RTX 3070 Windforce 8GB, EVGA SuperNova 750 G2 PSU, HP Omen 32" 2560x1440, Thrustmaster Cougar HOTAS fitted with Leo Bodnar's BU0836A controller.

--Flying is the art of throwing yourself at the ground, and having all the rules and regulations get in the way!

If man was meant to fly, he would have been born with a lot more money!

Is that all something which is going to be adressed? 

Recently:

- I landed. My wingman had some in-air spasms lowering/raising the gear. He always tried to make an approach and aborted all the time. Well, I quit quickly because I knew that he can eject any second because of BINGO (after two wingmans already crashed because of the same reason about 100nm away (Target WP ofcourse).

@dorianR666
Horrible... 🎻

Edited by TheCabal

FC3, Ka-50, A-10C, AJS-37, MiG-21bis, F-14A/B, F/A-18C, F-16C, NTTR, Persian Gulf, Super Carrier, TacView Advanced

9 hours ago, enigma6584 said:

The inability of the AI to manage it's fuel properly has been around for a very, very long time and many here have asked ED to fix it.  We're still waiting.

Imagine the dynamic campaign. It will be a mass suicide of BINGO'd jets with only and exclusively lots of SAR missions available.

• Like 5

On 4/23/2021 at 8:30 AM, TheCabal said:

- Holding short, I requested take off clearance. Entering the runway slowly while suddenly my wingman almost bumped into me, thought to use the left half of the runway when suddenly he went full afterburn past me like an impatient maniac...

Think this is still present in 2.5, unless of course I am slower with engines needing an overhaul. Get to around 100kts in an A10c2 and the wingman suddenly hammers past me as if he's got an extra engine! By wheels up he is around 0.5 mile in front...

Flying the Georgian Hammer Campaign.

Edited by Leg2ion

AMD Ryzen 5 5600X; ASUS ROG Strix X570-F, Corsair Vengeance 64 GB (2x 32GB) 3600MHz; Seagate FireCuda 510 500GB M.2-2280 (OS); Samsung 860 EVO 2TB M.2-2280 (DCS); MSI GeForce RTX 3090 SUPRIM X 24GB OC GPU. TM Warthog Hotas; T.Flight Pedals; DelanClip/Trackhat.

On 4/26/2021 at 5:59 PM, enigma6584 said:

The inability of the AI to manage it's fuel properly has been around for a very, very long time and many here have asked ED to fix it.  We're still waiting.

I don't know how they do it, I start out with half fuel and give my wingmen full internal fuel and possibly an external tank as well. 5 minutes into a mission, "BINGO!" Then they eject.

Any kind of orders given to wingmen are usually met with a response of "Unable." Sometimes they do follow orders, but usually just shrug them off. They almost always run out of gas anyway and bail out 🙂

I guess it'll be a while before AI wingmen are more in the sim than just decorations.

AD

• Like 1

Kit:

B550 Aorus Elite AX V2, Ryzen 7 5800X w/ Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE, 2 x 16GB Kingston Fury DDR4 @3600MHz C16, Gigabyte RTX 3070 Windforce 8GB, EVGA SuperNova 750 G2 PSU, HP Omen 32" 2560x1440, Thrustmaster Cougar HOTAS fitted with Leo Bodnar's BU0836A controller.

--Flying is the art of throwing yourself at the ground, and having all the rules and regulations get in the way!

17 hours ago, TheCabal said:

Imagine the dynamic campaign. It will be a mass suicide of BINGO'd jets with only and exclusively lots of SAR missions available.

Exactly this!!!!

All the talk about the dynamic campaign revolves around its design, the RTS engine, how logistics will work etc. The huge elephant in the room is the in game AI unit behaviour. Without this getting a fundamental overhaul, the dynamic campaign simply won’t work as expected. I think it’s going to be a substantially longer and bumpier road ahead than many people expect.

• Like 4

Are there more crazy/funny stories when "taking it real" ends like a goofy comedy show thanks to the AI? 

Edited by TheCabal
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/27/2021 at 7:18 PM, Aluminum Donkey said:

I don't know how they do it, I start out with half fuel and give my wingmen full internal fuel and possibly an external tank as well. 5 minutes into a mission, "BINGO!" Then they eject.

Any kind of orders given to wingmen are usually met with a response of "Unable." Sometimes they do follow orders, but usually just shrug them off. They almost always run out of gas anyway and bail out 🙂

It's due to primarily two reasons which are related.  One, the more you maneuver, the more gas they use to get into what-ever formation you have ordered and two they are usually using after-burner to catch up and change positions.

One of the things I do when creating my own missions for my own flight that I control is put in some "optional" waypoint tasks at the takeoff waypoint of my flight.  For example, I will always put in the option of restricting their use of afterburner.  I also add (in the mission editor) a radio trigger for my F10 menu that allows me to tell my flight they can now use afterburner which in reality tells my flight to cancel the "restriction of after-burner use."  So on my way to the AO I keep the restrict after-burner option going but when we are about to get into combat, I use the F10 trigger I had set up and cut them loose with the option to use afterburner.  It tends to give them more time in flight and I usually can send them to the tanker then to refuel before they freak out and tell me "Bingo, Returning to base."

It's not a fix but a band aid.  ED needs to fix this issue.

• Like 2

I haven't used AI as part of my flight in over a year and I'm keeping it that way until...

I use them mostly as cannon fodders. Well, they do SEAD and other tasks with varying success rate and for the most part they fulfill their role as long as I have them set up as separate flights. The 'star' of the show (moi :matrix:) is always tasked with the main objective of the mission.

• Like 2

sadly, "2, return to base" asap into vaicom if i have an AI wingman.

just recently, a-10c mission where i didn't send them back to base, final approach on landing, wingman goes in front of me and starts oscillating vertically +/- 100ft at like 2hz. then disappears below. then i land and they run into me from behind and took off my right wing.

imo AI is by far the biggest weak spot of DCS and it adversely affects every single part of the experience outside of cockpit familiarization and solo training.

• Like 5

• 2 months later...

Imagine this level of AI in an F1 racing simulator. It would be a multimillion-dollar demolition derby 🙂

AD

• Like 2

Kit:

• 10 months later...
  • ED Team
On 4/23/2021 at 12:30 AM, TheCabal said:

Hello folks,

doing the MiG-29 campaign right now and well... my wingmen are going nuts.

- I choose "Flight" and told them to engange Bandits. Wingman 2 and 4 said: ok... why did Wingman 3 said negative (they were enough targets)? They all still appeared to be glued to my wing while under attack... it was as if they did'nt understand me.

- After the strange fight... few wingmans called out they're bingo. 1 dude ejected near our target waypoint. No fuel management?

- While landing, I noticed that one maniac was glued to my wing, didn't see the other. Upon landing, I saw that another wingman just crash-landed onto the one who was glued to my wing.... my god.

Stuff like this seems to be happening all the time and kills the immersion if they suddenly goof around and "take it real".... What is going on? I saw a thread from 2019 mentioning that AI runs out of fuel and ejects.... this problem seems to still exist. 

Greetings,

Cabal

We need tracks of these issues and it should be one issue per report, please. 

64Sig.png
Forum RulesMy YouTube • My Discord - NineLine#0440• **How to Report a Bug**

1146563203_makefg(6).png.82dab0a01be3a361522f3fff75916ba4.png  80141746_makefg(1).png.6fa028f2fe35222644e87c786da1fabb.png  28661714_makefg(2).png.b3816386a8f83b0cceab6cb43ae2477e.png  389390805_makefg(3).png.bca83a238dd2aaf235ea3ce2873b55bc.png  216757889_makefg(4).png.35cb826069cdae5c1a164a94deaff377.png  1359338181_makefg(5).png.e6135dea01fa097e5d841ee5fb3c2dc5.png