DCS World 2.8.6 Graphics Explanation and Optimized Settings For Better FPS! + Mariana Islands.

Go to solution Solved by RosyPlays,

Terrain Textures: Low to High, I didn't notice any FPS or Graphical change

This is very noticeable on the NTTR map at least. I vaguely remember seeing the same effect on Syria (& your memory consumption will be higher with High), but don't have screenshots to prove it 🙂 

Low:

sgYYnbv.jpg

High:

LHkhnY3.jpg

Spoiler

Low:
dmHIpxL.jpg

High:
4lCpqN5.jpg

Dima | My DCS uploads

I'm with Dimi on this - specially when you fly a groundpounder and are rather low most of the time it's very noticable and takes away some of the joy of DCS...but also your FPS. 

Come fly with us : https://discord.gg/tawdcs  TAW CJTF 13 - EU TZ MilSim Squadron

Ryzen 5 5600X | 32GB DDR4 3733| ASUS Radeon RX 6700 XT  | ASrock B550 Phantom Gaming 4 | HP Reverb G2 | Thrustmaster Warthog Throttle , F16 & F18 grips , TFRP Rudders |  Win 10

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Every Optimization discussion done before today deals with the perspective of PLANES thousands of feet in the sky.  With the upcomming AH-64D Apache comming soon, we have never ever discussed the optimization for this new theater of play.... 300 feet and below.  The same rules I would think MAY NOT APPLY, with trees and buildings as a major part of the equasion close up, no longer 5 thousand feet away and now the clouds thousands of feet away as now the polar opposite.

That‘s not really true. 
It‘s pretty pointless to make a benchmark 20K feet above the ground in blue sky, and I think most of the guys that invest their time in benchmarking DCS take that into account. (me included).

"Muß ich denn jedes Mal, wenn ich sauge oder saugblase den Schlauchstecker in die Schlauchnut schieben?"

1 hour ago, Hiob said:

That‘s not really true. 
It‘s pretty pointless to make a benchmark 20K feet above the ground in blue sky, and I think most of the guys that invest their time in benchmarking DCS take that into account. (me included).

I’m not too sure about this Hiob. There are many guides recommending low ground textures and flat shadows. Some are even quite dismissive of the effect of those settings. I’d venture they are largely concerned with higher alt flying. 

@gdotts New theatre of play?  There are a good few of us for whom this is and has been the only theatre of play for many years. There is no “may” about it. The demands on the system will be higher and cutting back on the usual jet jock settings will not be graphically pleasing. Sucks to be us. 

MSI Tomahawk X570 Mobo, Ryzen 5600X undervolted on Artic Freezer E34 Cooler, RTX3080 FE, 32GB (2x16GB Dual Ranked) GSkil 3600 CL16 Trident Neo RAM, 2X 4th Gen M2 SSDs, Corsair RM850x PSU, Lancool 215 Case. 

Gear: MFG Crosswinds, Warthog Throttle, Virpil T50CM gen 1 stick, TIR5, Cougar MFD (OOA), D-link H7/B powered USB 2.0 Hub all strapped to a butchered Wheel stand pro, Cushion to bang head on, wall to scream at.  

4 hours ago, Boosterdog said:

I’m not too sure about this Hiob. There are many guides recommending low ground textures and flat shadows. Some are even quite dismissive of the effect of those settings. I’d venture they are largely concerned with higher alt flying. 

@gdotts New theatre of play?  There are a good few of us for whom this is and has been the only theatre of play for many years. There is no “may” about it. The demands on the system will be higher and cutting back on the usual jet jock settings will not be graphically pleasing. Sucks to be us. 

Maybe. My 4K-Benchmark is certainly aimed at low and slow and I'm a sucker for ground gfx.

"Muß ich denn jedes Mal, wenn ich sauge oder saugblase den Schlauchstecker in die Schlauchnut schieben?"

1 hour ago, Hiob said:

Maybe. My 4K-Benchmark is certainly aimed at low and slow and I'm a sucker for ground gfx.

Low and Slow Baby - its the future!

• Like 1

MSI Tomahawk X570 Mobo, Ryzen 5600X undervolted on Artic Freezer E34 Cooler, RTX3080 FE, 32GB (2x16GB Dual Ranked) GSkil 3600 CL16 Trident Neo RAM, 2X 4th Gen M2 SSDs, Corsair RM850x PSU, Lancool 215 Case. 

Gear: MFG Crosswinds, Warthog Throttle, Virpil T50CM gen 1 stick, TIR5, Cougar MFD (OOA), D-link H7/B powered USB 2.0 Hub all strapped to a butchered Wheel stand pro, Cushion to bang head on, wall to scream at.  

• 5 months later...
  • 9 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Update for DCS World 2.8.6 Multi-Threaded Benchmark

PC Specifications:

CPU: i9-9900K @ 4.7GHz

RAM: 32GB (2x16) Memory @ 2800MHz CL14

Page File: 64GB

STORAGE: 2TB M.2 NVME PCIE GEN 4 SSD

GPU: RTX 4080 16GB VRAM

MONITOR: 1920x1080 Resolution and 240Hz Refresh Rate G-SYNC

=================================================================

The following benchmark was tested on DCS World Version Multi-Threaded Preview 2.8.6.41363
Caucasus Free Flight (DAY) mission flying the F-15E S4+ with the following CUSTOM High settings.

Digital_Combat_Simulator_Black_Shark_Scr

Edited by RosyPlays

• RosyPlays changed the title to DCS World 2.8.6 Graphics Explanation and Optimized Settings For Better FPS! + Mariana Islands.
On 9/22/2021 at 6:42 PM, Minsky said:

This is very noticeable on the NTTR map at least. I vaguely remember seeing the same effect on Syria (& your memory consumption will be higher with High), but don't have screenshots to prove it 🙂 

Low:

sgYYnbv.jpg

High:

LHkhnY3.jpg

Reveal hidden contents

Low:
dmHIpxL.jpg

High:
4lCpqN5.jpg

For if i use the Terrain Textures to High my VRAM can't handle and I have VRAM Swapping when looking at textures of the ground, ReBar doesn't help and I loose around 60-90Fps when the VRAM SWapping occurs, so I litterally can't use ground textures on High, witch is the only setting that I want on DCS (Trees and Scenery buildings are at 0.1 I don't care about thoses).

I love that my GPU is not the issue but VRAM is, even tho I reduced a Lot my VRAM usage...

My Setup : i5-4690 3.50GHz + 24GB RAM DDR3 1600MHz + MSI RTX 2060 Super Ventus OC + 2 SSD + 4 HDD + Oculus Rift CV1 + TM T.16000M Hotas

Super Etendard for Life !

18 hours ago, Loukuins said:

For if i use the Terrain Textures to High my VRAM can't handle and I have VRAM Swapping when looking at textures of the ground, ReBar doesn't help and I loose around 60-90Fps when the VRAM SWapping occurs, so I litterally can't use ground textures on High, witch is the only setting that I want on DCS (Trees and Scenery buildings are at 0.1 I don't care about thoses).

I love that my GPU is not the issue but VRAM is, even tho I reduced a Lot my VRAM usage...

Can you list your computer specs in detail and screenshot of your in game settings?

Edited by RosyPlays

15 hours ago, RosyPlays said:

Can you list your computer specs in detail and screenshot of your in game settings?

Ryzen 7 5800X3D
32GB 3000MHz CAS 16
RTX 3080 10GB OC
2xMX500 1TB SSD
SSD SanDisk Plus (no DRAM cache, not used)
Windows 11 Pro
AW3423DW 3440x1440

null I might have fixed my freeze issue with putting more stable settings on my RAM, but yes ground textures can't be put on High because of low my VRAM is... 

image.png

My Setup : i5-4690 3.50GHz + 24GB RAM DDR3 1600MHz + MSI RTX 2060 Super Ventus OC + 2 SSD + 4 HDD + Oculus Rift CV1 + TM T.16000M Hotas

On 6/28/2023 at 11:37 PM, Loukuins said:

null I might have fixed my freeze issue with putting more stable settings on my RAM, but yes ground textures can't be put on High because of low my VRAM is... 

I think it's because you are overclocking your computer, I have an RTX 3070 8GB VRAM, I7-9700K, 16GB 3600MHZ RAM and it runs perfectly fine even in VR.

Also check your components temperatures if they are over heating.

Also I'm using maxed settings on my RTX 3070 build.

8 hours ago, RosyPlays said:

I think it's because you are overclocking your computer, I have an RTX 3070 8GB VRAM, I7-9700K, 16GB 3600MHZ RAM and it runs perfectly fine even in VR.

Also check your components temperatures if they are over heating.

Also I'm using maxed settings on my RTX 3070 build.

The only "Overclock" was putting a 200MHz higher speed on my RAM aswell increasing the voltage to have more stable RAM, but it might make the RAM less stable at the end, the increase of performance was not worth it at the end

The issue was fixed just thanks to putting back the XMP profile of my RAM, temps are all below 70°C during benchmark

Edited by Loukuins
  • Like 1