NZXT Build - 2 failed Nvidia 3070's

I purchased a build from NZXT this past December 2020, which shipped with a Nvidia ZOTAC RTX 3070 TWIN EDGE OC.  After a few weeks of minimal use, I noticed a small amount of artifacting on my screen (small black squares, in random locations on my screen), and then my display resolution reverted to a larger scale on reboot.  I didn't know the significance of this issue at the time, so I reinstalled my Nvidia graphics drivers, and the resolution went back to normal for a while.  Then a short time later my computer locked up while playing DCS and crashed.  I ran the OCCT tool on reboot and the VRAM test on the graphics card failed.  So, turns out the graphics card was failing.

I contacted NZXT and dealt with their tech support multiple times on chat.  Couldn't reach anyone on the phone.  I ended up shipping my whole rig back to them to have everything checked out and the graphics card replaced.  It was a big hassle dealing with their tech support and super frustrating. Many people I chatted with while trying to get my rig repaired and shipped back to me in a timely manner were clueless, and couldn't tell me the status of my rig or when it would be sent back to me. I asked to speak with a manager multiple times and  a manager never contacted me.

Finally after a few weeks, my rig was shipped back to me with a new graphics card and no charge to me.  This time with a Nvidia MSI RTX 3070 VENTUS 2X OC.  Once again after a few weeks of minimal use while playing DCS I saw artifacting on my display and the computer crashed.  So there went graphics card number 2. Kaput, no bueno, piece of junk.

Once again I contacted NZXT on chat after multiple conversations, It was agreed that they would send me a new 3070 in a few days after I sent them payment for the new card. I asked them to expedite the process and I hope to receive the new card today.  They said that my money for the new card will be refunded once I ship the failed card back to them.  They also sent me a $50 refund, as a gesture of good faith for the hassle I have been through.

This time I will replace the graphics card myself instead of shipping the whole rig back.

The NZXT tech support told me that Nvidia and AMD are having a lot of problems with their manufacturing process and that they have seen a lot of failed 3000 series cards.

So I just wanted to share my experience with purchasing a rig build from NZXT, and am wondering if anyone else has heard about this situation or experienced failed Nvidia 3070 -> 3090 cards?

I had wanted to buy a 3070 recently and my local vendor had Zotac 3070s and Gigabyte 3060 Tis (and 3090s but I'm not convinced that is a good use of money $/value wise given latest, inflated prices - there's better toys to spend $3k upon).

They tried really hard to steer me away from the Zotac and really firmly suggested I get their 3 year, no questions warranty if I went with the Zotac.

I ended up doing the Gigabyte because if that was the expectation I can't be bothered with the hassle for the sake of a few FPS.

I bought the warranty on the Gigabyte as well because if you've heard anything about the Gigabyte RMA process it likely hasn't been positive.

Now, no questions asked is one thing but if I show up to the store with a failed card I doubt they will have any stock to get me rolling again the same day... but, hopefully it won't come to that.

$0.02

Edited by reece146

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry to hear about your bad experience, Chops! My Asus RTX 3060 Ti was defective and had artifacts out of the box too. I think it was memory related like yours. This was in February when they were much cheaper too 🙂. I took a picture of the screen and returned the card to the online retailer in Turku, Finland and got it replaced with no hassle at all. A replacement card of the same model took a month to arrive. I didn't have to pay for its shipping or anything else. The price had gone up too while I waited. The chat personnel at Jimm's PC Store were very knowledgeable (they always are) and kept me informed. Will definitely shop there again.