DCS Dedicated Server 2.7 BSODing Windows

TFV - Shepard

Hello,

I'd like to report a bug experienced on our dedicated server running DCS 2.7.0.5118 Open Beta.

We've been experiencing BSODs daily since the release of 2.7. The DCS logs are not useful and end abruptly. I analyzed the minidumps and Windows is faulting DCS.exe for causing the BSOD. There doesn't appear to be any pattern in the BSODs in terms of time or server runtime, they've happened at all hours of the day.

I've included a zip file containing the latest minidump, an analyze output from Windbg which shows that DCS.exe is faulting, the DCS.log for that crash, and a System Info. 

@ED Please let me know what additional information would be helpful in resolving this bug.

Thank you,

Shepard
CSG-8

Dedicated Server-BSOD-2.7.zip

CSG8-roundel-fullcolor-2048.webpdmjJAJv.png
 Carrier Strike Group 8
M. "D20" Shepard

Hello. I know we're talking about a dedicated DCS server here, but I think 2.75 GB is a very small pagefile size. W10 usually gives a default minimum of 4 GB. Have you set the 2.75 GB pagefile manually? Try letting Windows define its size automatically.

Is that a virtual machine?

One of the attached log says this:

IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL (a)
An attempt was made to access a pageable (or completely invalid) address at an
interrupt request level (IRQL) that is too high.  This is usually
caused by drivers using improper addresses.
If a kernel debugger is available get the stack backtrace.

Edited by Flappie

Don't accept indie game testing requests from friends in Discord. Ever.

11 minutes ago, Flappie said:

Hello. I know we're talking about a dedicated DCS server here, but I think 2.75 GB is a very small pagefile size. W10 usually gives a default minimum of 4 GB. Have you set the 2.75 GB pagefile manually? Try letting Windows define its size automatically.

Is that a virtual machine?

This is a physical machine, and the page file is Windows managed. It's been given a maximum size of 16GB. Windows shows it recommends 2.8GB. There were no changes made to the server preceding or after the update and the BSODs started regularly after 2.7. Memory usage seems about the same as it was. 

-- I have just realized and was notified by a group member that this server is currently running on 16GB of physical RAM after a stick tested bad a while ago. I don't think this is sufficient for our use case and we're going to install more and test, and in my experience with dynamically allocated memory on VMs, Windows + DCS likes to sit at 18GB minimum so I'm wondering if 2.7 just tipped us over the edge. 

Edited by TFV - Shepard

Carrier Strike Group 8
M. "D20" Shepard

I thought W10 would allow recommend "4096MB" as a minimum but I've just found out it's not always true. Seems it depends on the machine it runs on.

Yes, I've seen 16 GB in the logs. Let us know if adding more RAM fixed the issue. I thought 16GB was enough for a DCS server. Again, if you add more pagefile, DCS should be at ease.

Don't accept indie game testing requests from friends in Discord. Ever.

On 4/24/2021 at 12:48 AM, Flappie said:

I thought W10 would allow recommend "4096MB" as a minimum but I've just found out it's not always true. Seems it depends on the machine it runs on.

Yes, I've seen 16 GB in the logs. Let us know if adding more RAM fixed the issue. I thought 16GB was enough for a DCS server. Again, if you add more pagefile, DCS should be at ease.

So in our case, I feel confident enough saying that reinstalling the Samsung NVMe drivers for our EVO 970 Pro stopped the BSODs. Not sure why they started the day of the 2.7 update. 

• Thanks 1

Carrier Strike Group 8
M. "D20" Shepard

Not to derail the thread here but does anybody happen to know why ED decided to incorporate the multiplayer server as a Windows program and not a Linux one? Not talking about stability here, the obvious one, but also the network stack of Linux made competitive online shooters possible in the first place. Among so many reasons I shouldn't mention because then I derailed this thread FOR SURE.