High Digit SAMs - A community asset pack for DCS World

Auranis

Image2.png

High Digit SAMs (HDS) is a simple, IC-compliant asset pack for DCS that adds more air defense systems to the game, both modern and historical. The pack is intended for use in a PVE environment, and offers a variety of assets which perform somewhat differently from their DCS analogues. Our hope is to provide assets that provide enhanced realism and gameplay variety from those included in the base game. HDS is supported by Skynet IADS by Waldair, for additional challenge and mission diversity.

Mod Authors:

• @Auranis (original mod author: S-300PS, S-300PMU1, 5V55RUD, 5V23, 5V27, HQ-2, 9K317 Buk-M1-2)
  • ERO (all custom 3D models)
  • @Hextopia (SON-9 Fire Can AAA Director & KS-19 AAA Gun)
  • @LetMePickThat (S-300PMU2, S-300V, S-300VM and Polyana-D4M1)

How to Install

1. Download the latest release from the GitHub repository,
  2. Extract and copy the Mods folder into your C:\Username\Saved Games\DCS folder, or use OVGME to install the files there.

Currently featured systems:

• S-300PMU-1 (SA-20A Gargoyle) Complex

This upgraded version of the S-300 added ABM capability and the long range 48N6 missile to the advanced S-300 complex. All components labelled as SA-20A in the mission editor. On top of the 48N6-equipped TELs, the complex can also accommodate launchers for the legacy 5V55RUD missiles. The S-300PMU1 includes a truck-mounted 30N6 radar than can be used in place of the mast-mounted variant.

• S-300PMU-2 (SA-20B Gargoyle) Complex

This incremental upgrade from the S-300PMU-1 features improved ABM capability and increased range. All components labelled as SA-20B in the mission editor.

• S-300PS (SA-10B Grumble) Complex

This variant of the SA-10 is a remake of the S-300PS included with DCS. The version from the mod features improved guidance and kinematics, as well as a brand-new set of 3D models by ERO. All components labelled as SA-10B in the mission editor.

• S-300V (SA-12 Gladiator/Giant) Complex

The S-300V is a tracked, mobile area defense SAM with a particular focus on countering tactical ballistic missiles. It was specifically designed to protect Soviet Army HQs from Pershing II and Lance nuclear strikes near the frontline. The system features both the long-range 9M82 missile and the shorter-ranged 9M83 round.

• S-300VM (SA-23 Gladiator/Giant) Complex

This upgraded variant of the S-300V features Track-Via-Missile guidance and the extremely capable 9M82M anti-ballistic missile, in addition to the 9M83M missile, all on a tracked chassis. Unlike the S-300V, the S-300VM saw some success on the export market, with batteries sold to Venezuela, Egypt and India. All components labelled as SA-23 in the mission editor, complete with custom 3D models.

• 5V55RUD Missile for the S-300PS (SA-10c), S-300PMU1 (SA-20A) and S-300PMU2 (SA-20B) systems

This upgraded missile has improved guidance from the original 5V55R, increasing its effective range vs. aircraft significantly, up to 90km. Available in the mission editor via the dedicated SA-10 (5V55RUD) launchers. Can be used with either the SA-20A/B or SA-10B complexes.

• 9K317 Buk-M1-2 (SA-17 Grizzly) Transporter/Erector/Launcher and Radar, 9A310M1-2

This upgraded Buk TELAR carries a more capable radar, and fires the 9M317 missiles, which is longer-ranged and more agile than the original 9M38 Buk missile. This variant has an improved ability to defend itself from anti-radiation missiles.

• V-759/5V23 Missile for S-75 (SA-2) Complex

This late-production missile for the SA-2 has an improved warhead, maneuverability and G-tolerance compared to previous versions, and was widely exported in the 1970s.

Note: The DCS version of the SA-2 is able to maneuver at up to 17G at the time of this writing. The V-759 is modeled with a 6-G limit; the historical missile could pull up to 9G, which will be simulated when an advanced flight model is created.

Add to your SA-2 complex by selecting the launcher for the V-759 in the mission editor.

• V-601P/5V27 Missile for S-125 (SA-3) Complex

This upgraded missile for the SA-3 features a number of improvements to the guidance and rocket motor.

Note: This version performs much more closely to the historical SA-3 than the DCS version, and as such it is generally much less dangerous to face.

Add to your SA-3 complex by selecting the launcher for the V-601P in the mission editor.

• HQ-2 Missile

This Chinese-developed copy of the S-75 makes several upgrades to its performance, particularly guidance, overload capability and kinematic performance.

Note: Associated radar systems not included until we can figure out a way to add RWR symbology without breaking IC.

Add to your SA-2 complex by selecting the HQ-2 launcher in the mission editor, available to China, Iran, and CJTF Red.

• 9K338 Igla-S (SA-24) MANPADS

The 9K338 system features significant kinematic and countermeasure resistance improvements from the previous 9K38 Igla. It fires the 9M342 missile which has an average speed of 650 meters per second.

Selectable in the mission editor as the SAM SA-24 Igla-S.

• 9K34 Strela-3 (SA-14) MANPADS

The 9K34 system was a major improvement over the previous 9K32 Strela-2, featuring a limited all-aspect engagement capability and improved fusing. It saw service around the world from the late 1970s onward.

Selectable in the mission editor as the SAM SA-14 Strela-3.

• SON-9 Fire Can AAA Director with KS-19 AAA Gun

The SON-9/KS-19 combination was a potent Soviet heavy AAA system with radar guidance. Selectable in the mission editor as: AAA SON-9 Fire Can, AAA 100mm KS-19. Currently using 3D models from the Silkworm radar and Flak 18.

• Polyana-D4M1 C2 Vehicle

This wheeled command vehicle is perfect for Skynet users to use as a node for their IADS.

A manual describing how all units are to be used, including examples of site layout, can be found below. If you have any question or suggestion, please do not hesitate. Feedback is welcome!

175863714_761721504710737_853525349042498572_n.png

HDSM_S300_Variants_Explained.pdf

• Like 13
  • Thanks 19

Thanks for this .. I will give it a try over the week-end. I intend to use them without using Skynet, hopefully that can be done.

Best regards,

Eduardo

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

3 minutes ago, Rudel_chw said:

Thanks for this .. I will give it a try over the week-end. I intend to use them without using Skynet, hopefully that can be done.

Best regards,

Eduardo

You can use all the systems from the mod like any other SAM from the base simulator. Skynet only adds more challenge by simulating a complex IADS network. 

• Like 2

Are those revetments included, or will be?

- Jack of many DCS modules, master of none.

- Personal wishlist: F-15A, F-4S Phantom II, JAS 39A Gripen, SAAB 35 Draken, F-104 Starfighter, Panavia Tornado IDS.

| Windows 11 | i5-12400 | 64Gb DDR4 | RTX 3080 | 2x M.2 | 27" 1440p | Rift CV1 | Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS | MFG Crosswind pedals |

Do they work with the code based PB mode for the harm in the hornet? And if so, which codes do they have?

I have use them with skynet's iads on custom missions previously, but haven't try them with that new harm mode yet. Also, thanks for the awesome work!

Enviado desde mi POCOPHONE F1 mediante Tapatalk

2 hours ago, Darcaem said:

Do they work with the code based PB mode for the harm in the hornet? And if so, which codes do they have?

I have use them with skynet's iads on custom missions previously, but haven't try them with that new harm mode yet. Also, thanks for the awesome work!

Enviado desde mi POCOPHONE F1 mediante Tapatalk

For the PS, PMU1 and PMU2, use the default codes from the S-300PS. For the SA-12, codes 105 ans 106 should work. I'll make sure that all codes are working as intended tomorrow. 

2 hours ago, -=Grumpy=- said:

You guys develop one of the best and most needed mods because the SAMs systems is one of the Eagle Dynamics weaknesses...

Thanks. 

@Auranisis the one who has been doing the heavy lifting, and deserves all credit.

• Like 5

• 4 weeks later...
17 hours ago, Razorback said:

Same issue as Anduriel.

Tested with S-300PS and SA-12 sites.

They don't engage any ennemi aircrafts.

Last version of 2.7 OB is installed (not via OVGME)

screenshot in Ann

SA-12 site.JPG

11 hours ago, flag02004 said:

Same for me, using it with Skynet, radar is going on, looking at the targets but no actions.....I put all the S300 types, but the only one that react as intended is the original (the DCS one)....

I'll be happy to take a look if you guys send me a .miz file. Without it, the issue is quite hard to find.

@flag02004What do you mean by "the DCS one"? Are you refering to the S-300PS from the mod?

Also, are you guys using the Main or Dev version of the mod?

EDIT: I ran some testing on the Main version, and it works fine here. See enclosed pictures:

SA-12/S-300V

Digital Combat Simulator  Black Shark Screenshot 2021.05.26 - 11.10.30.83.jpg

SA-20A/S-300PMU1Digital Combat Simulator  Black Shark Screenshot 2021.05.26 - 11.14.40.32.jpg

SA-20B/S-300PMU2

Digital Combat Simulator  Black Shark Screenshot 2021.05.26 - 11.11.52.71.jpg

SA-23/S-300VM

Digital Combat Simulator  Black Shark Screenshot 2021.05.26 - 11.17.52.95.jpg

Edited by LetMePickThat

I do have a couple questions regarding this mod:

1. I understand that there a number of items in DCS locked away deep in the game files, does this mod unlock some of those assets?
  2. How does this mod fair in Multiplayer? I know you said it's built for PVE, but I am curious to know how it handles in Multiplayer
  3. Is there any plans to add additional SAM systems to DCS, such as the Patriot Pac-3, and other NATO CAA?

1 hour ago, Tank50us said:

I understand that there a number of items in DCS locked away deep in the game files, does this mod unlock some of those assets?

No, these units were written from scratch and imported in DCS via an entry.lua file. We reused code (and even some 3D models) from other units but we did not unlock unused items. We did however used old RWR codes still in the game butr unused because the units needing them got cut at some point. For instance, the SA-12 has the right RWR codes and HARM IDs because an SA-12 used to be present in LOMAC and the bits we needed were still in the game. 

How does this mod fair in Multiplayer? I know you said it's built for PVE, but I am curious to know how it handles in Multiplayer

It works as any other AI unit. All players need to have the mod installed though: if a player doesn't have it, he or she won't be able to see the system (and be engaged by it). The mod does not break the IC.

Is there any plans to add additional SAM systems to DCS, such as the Patriot Pac-3, and other NATO CAA?

I know that Auranis spoke of upgrading the default Patriot system, but I am pretty confident that this won't come any time soon.

On my end, I have been working on the SAMP/T and SAMP/T NG french-italian SAM systems. I am still writing the code as of now, but most of the 3D work (done by ERO) is done. Below are a few WIP images. Of course, in the end, it is up to Auranis as the original mod author to decide what makes it to the public release and what does not, so apart from the SAMP/T, I won't tell you what I am working on as I can't guarantee that it will be released.

Digital Combat Simulator  Black Shark Screenshot 2021.05.26 - 16.50.48.60.jpg

Digital Combat Simulator  Black Shark Screenshot 2021.05.26 - 16.54.02.67.jpg

Digital Combat Simulator  Black Shark Screenshot 2021.05.26 - 16.54.40.41.jpg

Digital Combat Simulator  Black Shark Screenshot 2021.05.26 - 16.58.15.84.jpg

Digital Combat Simulator  Black Shark Screenshot 2021.05.26 - 17.01.32.70.jpg

1 hour ago, banana888999 said:

Thank you for your work! If you can add the Iron Dome air defense missile, it would be great!

Unfortunately, DCS SAMs can't engage artillery rockets or shells at the moment.

I've been wanting to make an Iron Dome for quite some time, yet I wasn't able to figure out a way to have it engage the threats it was designed to counter IRL.

Edited by LetMePickThat
  • Like 9

Hi LetMePickTha

To answer your question, I was referring to the S300 PS from ED,not from the mod....and of course i'm using the main version of the mod.

So to be clear about what i was expecting from this mod, an upgrade / better version of the original S300 version, with a better acquisition range and a bigger kill zone....but that not the case....to demonstrate the problem i created a simple mission with 2 aircrafts flying along the Caucasus coast with different S300 model along this coast....the 2 aircraft are of course entering the kill area of these S300....
result: 1 aborting shot from the SA23 at about 100km....and nothing else....see by yourself...

mission_Test_SAM_S300_SKYNET.trk SU27_CAUCASE_ESSAI-3.miz

11 hours ago, flag02004 said:

Hi LetMePickTha

To answer your question, I was referring to the S300 PS from ED,not from the mod....and of course i'm using the main version of the mod.

So to be clear about what i was expecting from this mod, an upgrade / better version of the original S300 version, with a better acquisition range and a bigger kill zone....but that not the case....to demonstrate the problem i created a simple mission with 2 aircrafts flying along the Caucasus coast with different S300 model along this coast....the 2 aircraft are of course entering the kill area of these S300....
result: 1 aborting shot from the SA23 at about 100km....and nothing else....see by yourself...

mission_Test_SAM_S300_SKYNET.trk 858.26 kB · 2 downloads SU27_CAUCASE_ESSAI-3.miz 101.15 kB · 2 downloads

I think you misunderstood the role of these long range SAMs.

For starter, the acquisition range and kill zone is vastly superior on the V, VM, PMU1 and PMU2 than on the PS, both ED and the mod's. These parameters are defined in the system and missile performance files, and are hard-coded.

Secondly, your mission is a clear example of why you're encountering this issue. I see various problems.

1- The long-range variants of the S-300 aren't meant to enforce a 200+km no-fly zone around them, they're supposed to force potential targets to fly lower, hence in range of lower-tiers systems. At more than 130-ish kilometers, LOS issues caused by radar horizon alone prevents any system (be it a PMU1, a PMU2 or an S-400) to acquire and track a target if it flies below approximately 1500 feets AGL. Your targets being figthers, they are able to change altitude very fast, so the air defenses must wait for them to be closer so that this radar horizon problem doesn't come into play should the targets decide to go for the deck. Similar kinematic limitations exist as well, see point #2.

Capture.PNG

2- You put the plane on an almost perpendicular path relative to the SAMs. The systems will not engage high-agility targets coming with such angle unless they're relatively close (a behavior you can also test with default units). Taking these two points into account, I suggest you set up two SEAD missions, one again the default S-300PS and the other against the 300VM or the 300PMU2. You'll see the difference in performance between those systems. If that't too long to put in place, just altering the target aspect and speed will make the SAMs much more active. See for instance below this 91nm shot against an F-16 flying at FL400 and Mach 1.6 (interception occurred at 79nm). This is basically as far as it gets for a Mach 1.5-class target engagement. Had I used a faster plane or a less maneuevrable one (say, for instance, a B-1B), then the range would have been even larger.

image.png

Edited by LetMePickThat
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Dagger52 said:

How are the SAM systems showing up on a RWR? Because I tried a SAM mod a while ago and all new SAM systems showed up as unknown on the Viper RWR.

On the F-16C, all S-300Ps (PMU1, PMU2, PS) are using the same codes as the S-300PS from the base game, and can be targeted using the same HARM IDs. The S-300V is labelled as follow:

• 9S19 High Screen: RWR "HS", HARM ID#106
  • 9S15 Bill Board: RWR "BD", HARM ID#105
  • 9S32 Grill pan: RWR "12", HARM ID #112

Hope this helps. 🙂

• Like 1

15 hours ago, LetMePickThat said:

I think you misunderstood the role of these long range SAMs.

For starter, the acquisition range and kill zone is vastly superior on the V, VM, PMU1 and PMU2 than on the PS, both ED and the mod's. These parameters are defined in the system and missile performance files, and are hard-coded.

Secondly, your mission is a clear example of why you're encountering this issue. I see various problems.

1- The long-range variants of the S-300 aren't meant to enforce a 200+km no-fly zone around them, they're supposed to force potential targets to fly lower, hence in range of lower-tiers systems. At more than 130-ish kilometers, LOS issues caused by radar horizon alone prevents any system (be it a PMU1, a PMU2 or an S-400) to acquire and track a target if it flies below approximately 1500 feets AGL. Your targets being figthers, they are able to change altitude very fast, so the air defenses must wait for them to be closer so that this radar horizon problem doesn't come into play should the targets decide to go for the deck. Similar kinematic limitations exist as well, see point #2.

Capture.PNG

2- You put the plane on an almost perpendicular path relative to the SAMs. The systems will not engage high-agility targets coming with such angle unless they're relatively close (a behavior you can also test with default units). Taking these two points into account, I suggest you set up two SEAD missions, one again the default S-300PS and the other against the 300VM or the 300PMU2. You'll see the difference in performance between those systems. If that't too long to put in place, just altering the target aspect and speed will make the SAMs much more active. See for instance below this 91nm shot against an F-16 flying at FL400 and Mach 1.6 (interception occurred at 79nm). This is basically as far as it gets for a Mach 1.5-class target engagement. Had I used a faster plane or a less maneuevrable one (say, for instance, a B-1B), then the range would have been even larger.

image.png

Ok I totally agree with your analysis of the fonctionnality of these systems in an integrated air defence system, and as you said, they are covering areas full of ground units needing an large air defence to operate...but upgrading a system and still engaging target at the same distance than before has no interest ( maybe it's relatied to the S300 DCS version), but I read somewhere that's a system like the S400 (another S300 upgrade) was intended to shoot down AWACS far away from the battlefield, so to enforce a 200++km no-fly zone around them........

you were right about my mission and the trajectories i created for my fighters, so i modified it a little to take in count your elements, and to make it a more demonstrative mission:

Maybe it's me, but a thing that i saw is that all these systems are only firing below 100km, whatever the aspect angle or altitude or type of the target.... I think that's strange for missiles with a range around between 200 et 250 km (SA20B et SA23....)

In the last part of the mission you can now see that there is a problem with a system like the SA20B not firing at a B52H flying straight inbound the site untill is reaching a distance about 40 km from the site at an altitude above 1000 m....You cannot say that's a good behavior for a SA20B...

SU27_CAUCASE_ESSAI-3.miz mission_Test_SAM_S300_SKYNET-2.trk

5 hours ago, flag02004 said:

Ok I totally agree with your analysis of the fonctionnality of these systems in an integrated air defence system, and as you said, they are covering areas full of ground units needing an large air defence to operate...but upgrading a system and still engaging target at the same distance than before has no interest ( maybe it's relatied to the S300 DCS version), but I read somewhere that's a system like the S400 (another S300 upgrade) was intended to shoot down AWACS far away from the battlefield, so to enforce a 200++km no-fly zone around them........

you were right about my mission and the trajectories i created for my fighters, so i modified it a little to take in count your elements, and to make it a more demonstrative mission:

Maybe it's me, but a thing that i saw is that all these systems are only firing below 100km, whatever the aspect angle or altitude or type of the target.... I think that's strange for missiles with a range around between 200 et 250 km (SA20B et SA23....)

In the last part of the mission you can now see that there is a problem with a system like the SA20B not firing at a B52H flying straight inbound the site untill is reaching a distance about 40 km from the site at an altitude above 1000 m....You cannot say that's a good behavior for a SA20B...

SU27_CAUCASE_ESSAI-3.miz 106.04 kB · 1 download mission_Test_SAM_S300_SKYNET-2.trk 1.36 MB · 1 download

Thanks for the new tracks, I'll take a look at them. However, before even doing so, I find it peculiar that you "saw is that all these systems are only firing below 100km, whatever the aspect angle or altitude or type of the target". See the image below, from previous testing, which shows an AWACS engaged at various ranges by the different systems. You might have ran into an interesting edge case (that, or you're expecting the S-300 to overperform. If your target was barely above 3000fts, a 40km shot would be stellar).

300ranges.png

Anyway, I'll look at what you sent and report.

EDIT: I can't open the track and miz files because I'm lacking a bunch of mods. Can you rerun your test without them?

Edited by LetMePickThat

17 hours ago, Razorback said:

Here is my file...
No engagements from my SA-12 and SA-10 SAM sites....and I really don't know why....

If someone could help me....Many Thxxxxx

TESTS.miz 10.09 kB · 2 downloads

I'll look at that tomorrow and report.

EDIT: from what I can see, your SA-10 is lacking a command post. Try adding it. 🙂

Edited by LetMePickThat
  • Like 1