Wrong RWY in use at Bassel Al-Assad

VMFA117_Poko

What you see in Google maps is a 17R runway while it's on the works, who knows what exact date, because the Hemmeimin (something like that) Russian base was being build on the same place as Bassel Al-Assad International airport. TBH I've been operating there with MiG-21 and I've search for some info on how the base work but I couldn't find a thing, so we don't even know how ops are or were carried out from that place IRL now or before the RL update.

S!

"I went into the British Army believing that if you want peace you must prepare for war. I believe now that if you prepare for war, you get war."

-- Major-General Frederick B. Maurice

• 4 weeks later...

Per Google Earth, the image is from 3/10/2020 via Maxar Technologies. You can clearly see that the east runway is used, with the west only used as taxiway. The west runway has no runway markings, no scarring from tires, and can be clearly seen as the northern third is still under construction. I would say that Poko24 is clearly right in this situation, and the AI should be adjusted to use the eastern runway. 

Edited by patpatpowercat

Theres several conflicting data points on this, Bassel Al-Assad is noted as having one strip, Khmeimim is noted as having two. 

The Drive indicates the second is being expanded as of 2017: https://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zone/39113/what-does-russia-have-planned-for-its-lengthened-runway-at-its-air-base-in-syria

I dont believe Google earth is a conclusive source myself. 

• Like 1

Hornet, Super Carrier, Warthog & (II), Mustang, Spitfire, Albatross, Sabre, Combined Arms, FC3, Nevada, Gulf, Normandy, Syria AH-6J

i9 10900K @ 5.0GHz, Gigabyte Z490 Vision G, Cooler Master ML120L, Gigabyte RTX3080 OC Gaming 10Gb, 64GB RAM, Reverb G2 @ 2480x2428, TM Warthog, Saitek pedals & throttle, DIY collective, TrackIR4, Cougar MFDs, vx3276-2k

Combat Wombat's Airfield & Enroute Maps and Planning Tools

cw1.png

There's Russian vids on YT (RT channel, English subs) where they speak on the secrecy of the base and ops carried from there and everything yet they show lots of images from the place 🤣, and you can see Su-25s and other aeroplanes operating from and onto 17L, that's for sure, though on the other hand current civil charts (Jeppesen) says that at least for civil use, 17R is the only available and operating runway. I haven't the faintest on how many, if any, civil flights operate right now there, but I guess they really don't mix up civil and military ops at all so maybe they use different runways for that or the like. I can't blame Ugra for making this particular airport/airbase with the very limited info they could find.

For the record, my problem with Google Earth pic is that it shows something being worked on, and following the scarce info available those works started in 2015, so 2020 sounds a bit too much recent for a pic showing still works being done while current Jeppesen chart I mention is dated 2019, so all of it is confusing info. On top of that, I haven't seen any pic on how it was before the Russian base works, how it was before the war started, or anything so I don't really know where all this comes from before that. Double runway with no taxiways? Weird…

S!

"I went into the British Army believing that if you want peace you must prepare for war. I believe now that if you prepare for war, you get war."

-- Major-General Frederick B. Maurice