DCS 2.7 Detailed 4K Benchmark with Settings

Hiob

Thanks Hiob!

Here's my first run at this one.

24-07-2021, 06:27:26 DCS.exe benchmark completed, 12158 frames rendered in 148.125 s - hiob Marianas
                     Average framerate  :   82.0 FPS
                     Minimum framerate  :   68.0 FPS
                     Maximum framerate  :   95.0 FPS
                     1% low framerate   :   68.4 FPS
                     0.1% low framerate :   66.5 FPS

2021-07-24 06_28_49-Window.png

With 4x MSAA that is impressive.

I have to try it with a lower resolution. Normally the fps don‘t scale with the resolution THAT much.

As we have pretty similar setups I wonder if I can reach those fps. 

Currently my 3080 is undervolted and power capped @ 90%

Can you show me your curve and settings for the 3080? Did you anything in the nvcp?

"Muß ich denn jedes Mal, wenn ich sauge oder saugblase den Schlauchstecker in die Schlauchnut schieben?"

Ok, I unleashed the power of my GPU and CPU 😅 and reduced the resolution to 1440p and was able to match those results (with 4x MSAA 🙂)

25-07-2021, 13:22:37 DCS.exe benchmark completed, 13132 frames rendered in 148.234 s
                     Average framerate  :   88.5 FPS
                     Minimum framerate  :   73.1 FPS
                     Maximum framerate  :  103.9 FPS
                     1% low framerate   :   74.2 FPS
                     0.1% low framerate :   72.9 FPS

I think next to the resolution, the forest factor of 0.8 contributed to that.

Edit: correction - missed that you had SSLR and SSAO "on". My results above are with them "off".

Here are my results with your exact settings:

25-07-2021, 13:40:18 DCS.exe benchmark completed, 12408 frames rendered in 147.922 s
                     Average framerate  :   83.8 FPS
                     Minimum framerate  :   70.1 FPS
                     Maximum framerate  :   97.5 FPS
                     1% low framerate   :   70.7 FPS
                     0.1% low framerate :   69.9 FPS

Edited by Hiob
  • Like 1

"Muß ich denn jedes Mal, wenn ich sauge oder saugblase den Schlauchstecker in die Schlauchnut schieben?"

On 7/25/2021 at 6:33 AM, Hiob said:

Ok, I unleashed the power of my GPU and CPU 😅 and reduced the resolution to 1440p and was able to match those results (with 4x MSAA 🙂)

25-07-2021, 13:22:37 DCS.exe benchmark completed, 13132 frames rendered in 148.234 s
                     Average framerate  :   88.5 FPS
                     Minimum framerate  :   73.1 FPS
                     Maximum framerate  :  103.9 FPS
                     1% low framerate   :   74.2 FPS
                     0.1% low framerate :   72.9 FPS

I think next to the resolution, the forest factor of 0.8 contributed to that.

Edit: correction - missed that you had SSLR and SSAO "on". My results above are with them "off".

Here are my results with your exact settings:

25-07-2021, 13:40:18 DCS.exe benchmark completed, 12408 frames rendered in 147.922 s
                     Average framerate  :   83.8 FPS
                     Minimum framerate  :   70.1 FPS
                     Maximum framerate  :   97.5 FPS
                     1% low framerate   :   70.7 FPS
                     0.1% low framerate :   69.9 FPS

Yeah, I've tried (MSAA 2x ), (MSAA 2x + SSAA x1.5), (MSAA off + SSAA x2) and to my eyes it just LOOKS better with MSAA 4x.

I've always ran with SSLR ON and just recently enabled SSAO after I saw a video of how it helps with clouds.  I'll have to test this more because I don't see a big difference in how the clouds look between HIGH and ULTRA.  Again, it could be my eyes. LOL 

When you changed your resolution to 1440 does it make everything look too compact compared to the resolution you had?

6 hours ago, Ozmandi said:

Yeah, I've tried (MSAA 2x ), (MSAA 2x + SSAA x1.5), (MSAA off + SSAA x2) and to my eyes it just LOOKS better with MSAA 4x.

I've always ran with SSLR ON and just recently enabled SSAO after I saw a video of how it helps with clouds.  I'll have to test this more because I don't see a big difference in how the clouds look between HIGH and ULTRA.  Again, it could be my eyes. LOL 

When you changed your resolution to 1440 does it make everything look too compact compared to the resolution you had?

With a lower resolution comes of course a decrease of sharpness and detail. 4x MSAA makes up for that - a little. But that was just for testing.

I will stay with the native resolution of my screen, which is 4K. I'm with you, that MSAA is a must. In 4K though, 2x is sufficiant (and 4x is too taxing).

SSAO and SSLR are not worth the FPS impact in my opinion. I can rarely detect any enhancements with them enabled (perhaps from an outside view), but certainly nothing that impacts my immersion. I'd rather go for more/better anti-aliasing than those "color/reflection-enhancer". And they CAN be very taxing on the FPS depending on the scene.

I have found that "Reshade VR" gives a very nice result in 2D, too. It adds a tiny bit to the colors and greatly improves the sharpness. Like taking a slight grey curtain from the scenery.

It costs like 1-2 FPS but it's worth it for me.

One of the probably most debateble things is probably (terrain)-shadows. It has a huge impact on default, especially on the mariana map, and personally I don't like the "moving border of LoD" that comes with it. I find that very distracting. In conclusion. Flat terrain-shadows look better (for me) and perform better. Only problem is the fragments-problem with the shadow of your own vehicle. If they could fix this I'd be perfectly happy.

Edit: I will check if SSAO makes any difference for me with the clouds. I never noticed it, but I haven't been looking for it.

Edited by Hiob

• 1 month later...
9 hours ago, BeoWolf_57 said:

Staircase?

Excuse me - if that was a question, you need to elaborate what you mean.

Otherwise - yes. The more anti aliasing, the less staircases and vice versa.

2 hours ago, BeoWolf_57 said:

There aren't any staircases on US Navy ships, only ladders, there was an escalator on the USS Constellation that went from the second deck to the O3 level on the Starboard side.  I was wondering exactly what you were referring to when you said Staircase... 

✌️

you got me…😅

• 1 month later...
On 7/23/2021 at 8:38 PM, Hiob said:

Instructions:

Load the attached file as "Replay". Use the integrated Benchmark recording function in Afterburner/Riva Statistics Server.

At the beginning of the scene I do some adjustments to the head position and fov. Immidiately after I give the Manifold Pressure a little jump, that is when you start the recording.

After roughly 150 sec. (148+/-) and a 360+ degree turn I rev the engine again (when crossing the runway), this is when you stop recording.

Your results should look something like this:

23-07-2021, 20:25:11 DCS.exe benchmark completed, 9847 frames rendered in 148.141 s (Marianas TF-51)
                     Average framerate  :   66.4 FPS
                     Minimum framerate  :   56.4 FPS
                     Maximum framerate  :   74.9 FPS
                     1% low framerate   :   56.7 FPS
                     0.1% low framerate :   55.9 FPS

Those are the Settings I used:

Settings for Benchmark.png

Update with 2.7.7: (Settings as above)

25-10-2021, 20:51:26 DCS.exe benchmark completed, 9889 frames rendered in 147.953 s
                     Average framerate  :   66.8 FPS     +0.4 FPS
                     Minimum framerate  :   57.6 FPS    +3.2 FPS
                     Maximum framerate  :   76.0 FPS   +1.1 FPS
                     1% low framerate   :   57.8 FPS       +1.1 FPS
                     0.1% low framerate :   57.1 FPS       +1.2 FPS

Same Settings, but Water to high:

25-10-2021, 21:02:12 DCS.exe benchmark completed, 9452 frames rendered in 147.875 s
                     Average framerate  :   63.9 FPS   -2.9 FPS
                     Minimum framerate  :   54.1 FPS  -3.5 FPS
                     Maximum framerate  :   73.7 FPS -2.3 FPS
                     1% low framerate   :   54.6 FPS    -3.2 FPS
                     0.1% low framerate :   53.5 FPS   -3.6 FPS

Edited by Hiob
  • Like 1

i cant make it to 150secs

the plane crashes into trees by houses alot less then that. i think around 130secs

has the benchmark track been changed or something or maybe the game not replaying the track file correctly?

from as far as i can make it (right when plane crashes i hit stop recording at about 130 seconds from when i hit the fly button

these are my results.

22-06-2022, 09:00:43 DCS.exe benchmark completed, 6020 frames rendered in 82.625 s
                     Average framerate  :   72.8 FPS
                     Minimum framerate  :   61.4 FPS
                     Maximum framerate  :   83.8 FPS
                     1% low framerate   :   61.7 FPS
                     0.1% low framerate :   60.1 FPS

i have Windows 11 + 5600x + 16GB ram (2x8 pc 3000mhz) + slow hard drive 5400 rpm 2.5" + 3080 ti

Edited by TDBONE1

16 minutes ago, TDBONE1 said:

i cant make it to 150secs

the plane crashes into trees by houses alot less then that. i think around 130secs

has the benchmark track been changed or something or maybe the game not replaying the track file correctly?

Hey, sorry - I haven't updated the thread. The Marianas Benchmark doesn't work anymore. They probably changed something in the map since it was pretty new and now the trackfile is haywire. The F-16 - Syria Benchmark still works though!

I'll make a new one for marianas....

But if you get already 78 fps in the Marianas, there is definitely a problem with the mission in caucasus. Normally the caucasus is much less demanding than the Marianas.

Edited by Hiob
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Hiob said:

Hey, sorry - I haven't updated the thread. The Marianas Benchmark doesn't work anymore. They probably changed something in the map since it was pretty new and now the trackfile is haywire. The F-16 - Syria Benchmark still works though!

I'll make a new one for marianas....

But if you get already 78 fps in the Marianas, there is definitely a problem with the mission in caucasus. Normally the caucasus is much less demanding than the Marianas.

thanks for quick reply.

with caucasus map on 4k low it hits me hard in instant action with su-25

yes please make new track not syria as i dont have that yet.

maybe a new thread too? i would def reply with my benchmarks if you did or just keep this one going is fine too but probably good idea to make a new one.

6 minutes ago, TDBONE1 said:

thanks for quick reply.

with caucasus map on 4k low it hits me hard in instant action with su-25

yes please make new track not syria as i dont have that yet.

maybe a new thread too? i would def reply with my benchmarks if you did or just keep this one going is fine too but probably good idea to make a new one.

Yeah sure, but it's special interest for only a few people anyway. I will make a Benchmark in the Caucasus with the SU-25. And I will test the IA-Mission you had the problem with. Maybe it's a problem in the mission itself. As mentioned. AI-scripting can tank the fps regardless of the muscle power of your system.

Edited by Hiob
  • Like 1

• Hiob changed the title to DCS 2.7 Detailed 4K Benchmark with Settings
Am 25.4.2021 um 07:42 schrieb flankerjun:

you can set MSAA off,because in 4K monitor,the MSAA will be no effect, i have an RTX2070 with 4K monitor, i also can get 60~90 FPS

When you have less than 27" display and 4k this might be correct. But not in general.

This thread reminds me of the wish to get a general benchmarking tool for DCS... this is just missing. And it would be such a great thing to fine tune settings for everyone. And with a light upload of system data and results, ED could quickly figure out bottlenecks and also performance bugs.

• Like 2

Windows 11 Pro 64Bit - AMD Ryzen 5800X3D - AMD 6900 XT - 64 GB RAM

VPC MongoosT-50CM2 Throttle, VPC WarBRD Base, VPC MongoosT-50CM2 Grip

Yes

32 minutes ago, Limaro said:

When you have less than 27" display and 4k this might be correct. But not in general.

This thread reminds me of the wish to get a general benchmarking tool for DCS... this is just missing. And it would be such a great thing to fine tune settings for everyone. And with a light upload of system data and results, ED could quickly figure out bottlenecks and also performance bugs.

Yeah, I would support that. Problem  with such makeshift benchmarks is, that they are complicated to operate and analyze. You need third party software like Afterburner/Riva or fpsVR.

Not everybody has the same Maps and Modules available and so on.

Also, the results depends heavily on the kind of Aircraft, the systems that are running (FLIR, TV, Mirrors)....

Theoreticly you would just need a Trackfile and some scripting, that starts and stops the measuring at certain points and reports the data.