Has Ram usage been improved?

twistking

Hello,

me and my buddy are deciding whether to get PersianGulf or Syria. We liked both maps quite a lot (when testing with the free trial last year) and would only go for Syria because it's a bit more impressive technically and has better price per square kilometer of terrain.

However i am concerned with performance, especially ram usage. I am on 16gb ram (8gb vram) and while fps were decent on syria, loadtimes were terrible and i had terrible lag when switching units, or even when simply looking at the F10 map. So i was clearly ram limited - and that was in a very light mission, with only 2 or 3 aircraft and a handful of ground units.

I've seen in the patch notes that ram footprint has been improved and would like to know if this improvment was significant enough to make syria run well on 16gb systems on light to medium complexity missions (i'm not interested in big, public MP).

Not that much interested in fps or graphics settings, but more if you can now switch trough units, toggle the F10map, without the pc choking on file swap.

Also i'm not interested in updating my system at the moment. If syria turns out to still be a bit too much for my 16gigs, i will go for the persian gulf first and simply buy syria next year when i hopefully have a new pc.

Would be great if someone with 16gb could chime in on this. thanks!

E-shop selling these terrains indicates both should be good with 16gb ram.  It also states for heavy missions you should have 32gb.  This of course also depends on

your graphics settings....more eye candy, more memory.  Lower graphics should insure 16gb for either.

laz

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, twistking said:

Would be great if someone with 16gb could chime in on this. thanks!

Unfortunately I don't have the free space for the Syria map on my 16GB install.

I can say that in 2.7, Syria appears to use a little less RAM\VRAM (~1 GB), a little more CPU/GPU (~10%) and have smoother frames on my main install but YMMV, so I'd wait for a free play trial or more feedback.

Note: Running the map off a SSD (due to NVM space), I find loading times good in SP but some MP servers have been long (Weapons_Training_Freeflight_sy) while others good (4YA_Syria_Capture_Bases_BLUE).

The main performance change appears to be in it's Video memory footprint.

J2qKdKb.jpg

Edited by Ramsay
  • Thanks 1

i9 9900K @4.7GHz, 64GB DDR4, RTX4070 12GB, 1+2TB NVMe, 6+4TB HD, 4+1TB SSD, Winwing Orion 2 F-15EX Throttle + F-16EX Stick, TPR Pedals, TIR5, Win 10 Pro x64, 1920X1080

44 minutes ago, lazduc said:

E-shop selling these terrains indicates both should be good with 16gb ram.  It also states for heavy missions you should have 32gb.  This of course also depends on

your graphics settings....more eye candy, more memory.  Lower graphics should insure 16gb for either.

laz

you are right, however i believe that it already stated 16gb for light missions, when i tested it back in decembre: as i wrote above, it was indeed playable back then, but simply not good enough for me to enjoy it properly.

17 minutes ago, Ramsay said:

Unfortunately I don't have the free space for the Syria map on my 16GB install.

I can say that in 2.7, Syria appears to use a little less RAM (~1 GB), a little more CPU (~10%) and have smoother frames on my main install but YMMV, so I'd wait for a free play trial or more feedback.

Note: Running the map off a SSD (due to NVM space), I find loading times good in SP but some MP servers have been long (Weapons_Training_Freeflight_sy) while others good (4YA_Syria_Capture_Bases_BLUE).

ok. thanks, that helps. from my experience one gb of ram is soemthing that you can quickly fill up even with simpler missions, so i assume that 2.7 will not deliver the headroom that i would want. i think i will go for persian gulf then. it's a map that i also liked a lot and that leaves syria as soemthing for me to look forward to.

Edited by twistking

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/24/2021 at 4:29 PM, twistking said:

i assume that 2.7 will not deliver the headroom that i would want.

I had the opportunity to install Syria onto my lower spec install, so for info this is what a single hot start Mi-8 looks like

iTkkdui.jpg

DCS Open Beta 2.7.0.5118

System spec. i7 860, 16GB DDR2, GTX 1050ti (1TB SSD for OS, 2TB HD for programs, data and DCS)

Syria's RAM footprint was between 13 and 15.5 GB

Edited by Ramsay
  • Thanks 1

i9 9900K @4.7GHz, 64GB DDR4, RTX4070 12GB, 1+2TB NVMe, 6+4TB HD, 4+1TB SSD, Winwing Orion 2 F-15EX Throttle + F-16EX Stick, TPR Pedals, TIR5, Win 10 Pro x64, 1920X1080