Upgrade from 1080 to 1080ti or 2x1080 SLI?

Having gone the SLI route myself in the past with dual 980ti, it is usually not all it's cracked up to be. It also doesn't work with VR at all, or DCS (at least not reliably).

You are pretty much always better off having one better card than two SLI'd cards. It's likely the whole concept will die off within the next few years anyway from how it sounds.

• Like 1

Де вороги, знайдуться козаки їх перемогти.

5800x3d * 3090 * 64gb * Reverb G2

Having gone the SLI route myself in the past with dual 980ti, it is usually not all it's cracked up to be. It also doesn't work with VR at all, or DCS (at least not reliably).

You are pretty much always better off having one better card than two SLI'd cards. It's likely the whole concept will die off within the next few years anyway from how it sounds.
True. Was working fine for me with double the frames. But the last update (clouds broke it).

Sent from my MAR-LX1A using Tapatalk

With a 1080ti you can all the way to 4K (with reasonable settings), I had this card for many years until just the end of last year and played DCS on a 4K TV.

If you can't afford or get your hands on a 2080 ti or 3080.... It's the best option in my opinion!

• Like 2

"Muß ich denn jedes Mal, wenn ich sauge oder saugblase den Schlauchstecker in die Schlauchnut schieben?"

On 4/24/2021 at 7:07 PM, Skwirl865 said:

Which way should I go?

SLI sucks, and DCS isn't coded for it anyway. It only works in games/apps that are specifically written for it.

So, don't bother with it. Just get one good card instead of two lesser ones and you'll have a good experience. The 1080 Ti is substantially better than the regular 1080 and it's still very good despite being old.

Graphics cards have gotten good enough these days that SLI isn't really needed anyway. If you don't mind saving and burning the cash, the RTX 3090 (if you can find one!) is supposed to be mighty kickass. Don't bother with 20X0 cards, they were expensive and not much better than the previous generation.

AD

• Like 2

Kit:

B550 Aorus Elite AX V2, Ryzen 7 5800X w/ Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE, 2 x 16GB Kingston Fury DDR4 @3600MHz C16, Gigabyte RTX 3070 Windforce 8GB, EVGA SuperNova 750 G2 PSU, HP Omen 32" 2560x1440, Thrustmaster Cougar HOTAS fitted with Leo Bodnar's BU0836A controller.

--Flying is the art of throwing yourself at the ground, and having all the rules and regulations get in the way!

If man was meant to fly, he would have been born with a lot more money!

2 hours ago, Aluminum Donkey said:

SLI sucks, and DCS isn't coded for it anyway. It only works in games/apps that are specifically written for it.

So, don't bother with it. Just get one good card instead of two lesser ones and you'll have a good experience. The 1080 Ti is substantially better than the regular 1080 and it's still very good despite being old.

Graphics cards have gotten good enough these days that SLI isn't really needed anyway. If you don't mind saving and burning the cash, the RTX 3090 (if you can find one!) is supposed to be mighty kickass. Don't bother with 20X0 cards, they were expensive and not much better than the previous generation.

AD

Too late.  I ordered a 2080 super. Hoping it’ll do me ok. Seems like a decent upgrade from a 1080. 
definitly got my fingers crossed

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Skwirl865 said:

I paid 950 plus tax so it wasn’t cheap but not quite as bad as some I’ve seen

I don't know in which currency but if it was USD, Euro or British Pound....

Ouch!

...mad times! 🙁

"Muß ich denn jedes Mal, wenn ich sauge oder saugblase den Schlauchstecker in die Schlauchnut schieben?"