Weapon panel build

Oakes

Ok, here is the first prototype of my weapons panel.

The back is made from 6mm acrylic which will be painted black, the front overlay is printed on a laser printer and then laminated for durability. No backlighting as this point.

The switches, displays and LED's are connected to an IOCard MasterCard + DisplayCardII.

Todo:

• Make the final front overlay (note the mismatch between the holes and LEDs etc on the pictures below) and glue it to the acrylic.

• Paint the acrylic.

• Rewire the the displays for a neater look (notice the wires sticking out of the top). For the next panel I'll definitively make a custom PCB instead of the current spaghetti approach :)

• Make the round safety covers on a lathe(one red,one black) for the jettison switches.

• Connect all the switches.

/Oakes

Some pictures:

The acrylic + the overlay.

panelfrontqu0.jpg

Testing the first display

test9hb4.jpg

Testing the displays

testnumberdisplaycf7.jpg

Testing the full panel.

testprototypepf3.jpg

Edited by Oakes
Update with new pictures
  • Like 3

What you guys are doing with these control boards are great, I'm going to have to learn how to get these working with the sims. I know I can make the panels, I jsut don't know how to import and export the data to the panel.

The above has been based loosely upon my own opinions. :pilotfly:

Thank you all for the kind words.

Here are some more pictures with the all switches mounted + a new overlay.

I'm not completely happy about the jettison safety covers, they are to long I think.

Also two small demo vids can be found here:

wpanelfronthpns8.jpg

wpanelfrontnnun8.jpg

wpanelbackfj0.jpg

wpanelfrontleftnnpp3.jpg

/Oakes

Sorry littlejohn, these are handmade (no CNC) and I don't have any plans to manufacture these commercially.

I've attached the panel file below so you can make your own. I've used InkScape (http://www.inkscape.org/) for the design.

[ATTACH]19733[/ATTACH]

/Oakes

thats way over my head there mate .

thanks all the same though .

you have fun with your new toy there .

give yaself a pat on the back mate .

its a fantastic job .:thumbup::thumbup:

cheers from here .

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• 1 month later...

Great work! Keep it up and soon you'll have full Ka-50 cockpit!)

It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice © Scooter

Intel Core i7 8700K, Gigabyte Z370 AORUS Gaming 5, 32Gb DDR4 CORSAIR Vengeance LPX 3200MHz, Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2080Ti Extreme, VKB Gunfighter MkII + TM HOTAS Warthog + TM MFD Panels, TrackIR5

Great Work! :thumbup:

What kind of interface do you use between opencockpits (sioc?) and DCS:BS?

-Is it the SIOC KeyboardEmulator for inputs towards BS?

How do you get data from BS to drive your OC-outputs?

Thank you very much!

Sniper

Hi

Right now I use the SIOC KeyboardEmulator for inputs, which works kinda OK for simple commands. Hopefully the PCIP will allow us to send switch position directly to the sim i.e. "put switch 52 to position 4" or similar.

Today with key-emulator since most keyboard commands only allow you to toggle switches you have to make sure that the physical switches are in the correct position when you start the sim or you will be out of sync.

For outputs, I have no idea at this point how this is going to work, again well see what the PCIP contains I guess.

For me the ideal solution would of course be if ED implemented the IOCP protocol into BS *Hint* *Hint* :music_whistling:

And again, thank you all for the kind words of encouragement.

/Oakes

• Like 1

Hi Oakes, excellent work!

Did you use the SOIC to preset those values for the 7 segments when you flick those toggles? I wonder what kind of controls you have right now without the PCIP on outputs.

Yep, currently I have no feedback from the sim. I just wanted to show that when we get the PCIP I can get the info up on the displays etc.

/Oakes