Tunguska shooting down Mavericks. Bug?

pimp

I thought my mav shots were missing their targets until I started following them in the F7 view. Turns out the SA-19 of the Tunguska is shooting them down. Is this something new or a bug?

i9 9900k @5.1GHz NZXT Kraken |Asus ROG Strix Z390 E-Gaming | Samsung NVMe m.2 970 Evo 1TB | LPX 64GB DDR4 3200MHz

EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra | Reverb G1  | HOTAS Warthog | Saitek Flight Pedals

• 1 month later...

I'm thinking that this is not a bug. I guess, since the SA-19 is an IR SAM, it should be able to detect a hot Mav inbound and defend. Just have to rethink strategy against them and other IR SAMs now.

i9 9900k @5.1GHz NZXT Kraken |Asus ROG Strix Z390 E-Gaming | Samsung NVMe m.2 970 Evo 1TB | LPX 64GB DDR4 3200MHz

Am 2.6.2021 um 17:01 schrieb pimp:

I'm thinking that this is not a bug. I guess, since the SA-19 is an IR SAM, it should be able to detect a hot Mav inbound and defend. Just have to rethink strategy against them and other IR SAMs now.

To my knowledge, the tunguska is an optical system (SACLOS) instead of an IR system. 

1 hour ago, Wychmaster said:

To my knowledge, the tunguska is an optical system (SACLOS) instead of an IR system.

So it should be a bug then. Mavs aren't that big that you'll see them and guide a missile to intercept a maverick. I could be wrong tho which is why I asked the question.🤷🏾‍♂️

vor 9 Stunden schrieb pimp:

So it should be a bug then. Mavs aren't that big that you'll see them and guide a missile to intercept a maverick. I could be wrong tho which is why I asked the question.🤷🏾‍♂️

Don't know the answer, but I am not so sure if it is a bug for the following reason: 

Mavericks aren't that small either and the Tunguska has at least a search radar which helps to locate the missile. The magnification should be enough to see the missile at a sufficient distance and mavericks aren't that fast. Since it is optically guided, you don't need a lock to launch which is a huge benefit. Finally, a Maverick has a predictable flightpath. Especially if you are close to the target, the missile is just running towards you. Keeping the targetting optic centered should be easy.

As I said, I don't know if my assumptions are correct, but I guess it is possible that a Tunguska can shoot down Mavericks under the right conditions.

Not a bug. The tunguska designs one feature was to be able shoot down all munitions regardless their size with either missiles or cannons. For Maverick it should use cannon when it is coming at its direction as it is fastest and easiest, and you can't really saturate tunguska easily. For longer ranges it uses missile first as it can only guide to one target at a time few missiles.

DCS doesn't simulate these SAM systems properly.

Example Tunguska can use either a radar, optical or combined guidance. The missiles are command guided, not IR or SARH missiles. 

The target doesn't get to know it is being targeted with optical guidance or mixed where radar is not either at all in use, or it is only in search mode. 

The missiles can be launched without radar emissions, and only be activated in the terminal phase. The guidance logic is different in such situations but target doesn't receive launch warning and be required visually spot the launch and track the missile.

You would have multiple SAM systems launching simultaneously at you from multiple directions and you would only see a one search radar somewhere far away.

This capability is almost on all Russian SAM systems and even in AAA. Where the AAA only utilizes their ranging radar just before firing, so you likely have nose inside cockpit looking RWR on the moment the shells or missiles are flying at you.

The skill level, methods for situation, weather etc should matter how they operate.

• Thanks 1

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.

Very good points. I hope someone from ED can confirm.

4 minutes ago, Fri13 said:

Not a bug. The tunguska designs one feature was to be able shoot down all munitions regardless their size with either missiles or cannons. For Maverick it should use cannon when it is coming at its direction as it is fastest and easiest, and you can't really saturate tunguska easily. For longer ranges it uses missile first as it can only guide to one target at a time few missiles.

DCS doesn't simulate these SAM systems properly.

Example Tunguska can use either a radar, optical or combined guidance. The missiles are command guided, not IR or SARH missiles. 

The target doesn't get to know it is being targeted with optical guidance or mixed where radar is not either at all in use, or it is only in search mode. 

The missiles can be launched without radar emissions, and only be activated in the terminal phase. The guidance logic is different in such situations but target doesn't receive launch warning and be required visually spot the launch and track the missile.

You would have multiple SAM systems launching simultaneously at you from multiple directions and you would only see a one search radar somewhere far away.

This capability is almost on all Russian SAM systems and even in AAA. Where the AAA only utilizes their ranging radar just before firing, so you likely have nose inside cockpit looking RWR on the moment the shells or missiles are flying at you.

The skill level, methods for situation, weather etc should matter how they operate.

Thanks for that info.