Analog Axis for Radiator Flaps?

Turner

The axis command "Radiator Flaps" is actually available for the TM Warthog throttle, but it doesn't work. I could bind and tune it; but when I move the slider I've bound to it I see no movement of the flaps on the cowling.

That command is not even available for other game controllers. So we have 2 problems here. Since you found the problem(s), I suggest you report it in the sub-forum "Bugs and Problems".

LeCuvier

Windows 10 Pro 64Bit | i7-4790 CPU |16 GB RAM|SSD System Disk|SSD Gaming Disk| MSI GTX-1080 Gaming 8 GB| Acer XB270HU | TM Warthog HOTAS | VKB Gladiator Pro | MongoosT-50 | MFG Crosswind Pedals | TrackIR 5

• 1 month later...

I don't know Dora (have just downloaded her as a part of this new free trial), so excuse me.

You know what saddens me? It takes literally 15 seconds to discover it 😞 15 seconds.

However... does Dora really have automatic cowl flaps? If so... how can anybody have an axis for it? You can't have both at the same time... I mean... you can't have an "absolute" axis, you can have only "incremental" axis, which is no better than buttons - for cowl flaps at least.

Anyway, the axis seems to be available, but as "Button_13" in Lua file rather than Button_15 (picture attached). It IS an "incremental" axis (not "absolute"), so you can map it to a minijoystick, but not to the "steady" axis such as throttle, friction lever, a classic potentiometer etc. Hence, I guess, it didn't find its place in default.lua.

Apart from that... something's wrong with this axis anyways - it moves cowl flaps in "jerky increments", not at all smooth (as do keyboard commands). I don't know why.
So... even if one changes Button_15 to Button_13, I don't think you'll be happy with it. Buttons/keyboard just work better for this.

I'm sorry - I may be missing something here - but if it's true she's got some kind of auto cowl flaps, you basically CAN'T have a nice, absolute axis for it. (Of course absolute would be very nice to have as you'd see the position of flaps by simply looking at your hardware control assigned to it).

dora_cowl_flaps.PNG

Edited by scoobie

i7-8700K 32GB 2060(6GB) 27"@1080p TM Hawg HOTAS TPR TIR5 SD-XL 2xSD+ HC Bravo button/pot box

On 5/2/2021 at 2:17 AM, Gadreel said:

You open them fully and close them a little bit. That should put them back to automatic.

what tells the pilot or shows that the cowling flaps are back in auto-matic. especially if external views are set to off.

10 hours ago, Porkie said:

what tells the pilot or shows that the cowling flaps are back in auto-matic. especially if external views are set to off.

From my experience, automatic system engages when coolant temp hit 100C. Just watch coolant temp, it should maintain 100C if it lower you can close a little bit and system will engage.

Cowl flaps are in automatic if coolant temp stays at 100C, no other indicators.

Edited by grafspee
  • Thanks 1

System specs: I7 14700KF, Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Elite, 64GB DDR4 3600MHz, Gigabyte RTX 4090,Win 11, 48" OLED LG TV + 42" LG LED monitor

As for seeing the very flaps (in automatic or not), you can actually see them, provided you're flexible as a snake (and have TrackIR with quite a bit of "amplification" in "lean left-righ" axis; I think VR could do the trick as well). If canopy is open, you may stick your head outside the cockpit left or right and see them. If canopy is closed, you can kind of bend yourself over the gun sight and see the flaps from above. However, I find it not so much neccessary as during flight you simply set flaps looking at the coolant temperature gauge (it seems to "snap" into automatic at about 100 °C, as grafspee explained).

I also found TM Warthog throttle to be helpful helpful here. I assigned autopilot mode toggle switch to cowl flaps. It's a latching switch - that's the trick (double latching: ON-OFF-ON). During start-up & warm-up, cowl flaps are to be closed so I flip the switch and leave it there, so I'm guaranteed flaps remain fully closed and I don't have to think about it. After the warm-up - flaps must be open, so I flip the switch into the opposite position and - again - I leave it there. Then, after the take-off, you need to play with the switch a little bit until the tempertarute settles at about 100 °C (automatic mode kicks in, so it seems) and leave the switch in the off position (the middle one).

Edited by scoobie
  • Thanks 1

i7-8700K 32GB 2060(6GB) 27"@1080p TM Hawg HOTAS TPR TIR5 SD-XL 2xSD+ HC Bravo button/pot box