CPU usage higher in 2.7

Gryzor

In some missions, flying at 120 fps with many units, I noticed some CPU usage reaching 40 or 45 % (only by DCS.exe), in my 5900x (so at least 12 threads are used!!!)... so now the sim is using more cores in comparison with 2.5.6? or its related to some bug? In my case the cpu reach 85 degrees in some situations (Ryzen boost...), I tested it and its completely related to DCS.exe process..

Edited by Gryzor

• Gryzor changed the title to CPU usage higher in 2.7

My game run fines in 2.7 my CPU is i5-7600K 4 Cores 4.5Ghz OC my usage is 45%-50% with 60-90FPS most of the time but when a lot of the new clouds are rendered in my CPU usage goes to 100% but no major FPS drops also my CPU temperature doesn't exceed 65 Degrees Celsius. You might want to look at your computer cooling if you reach 85 Degrees Celsius also you can limit to how many cores DCS uses if you don't want it use all cores.

2 hours ago, RosyPlays said:

My game run fines in 2.7 my CPU is i5-7600K 4 Cores 4.5Ghz OC my usage is 45%-50% with 60-90FPS most of the time but when a lot of the new clouds are rendered in my CPU usage goes to 100% but no major FPS drops also my CPU temperature doesn't exceed 65 Degrees Celsius. You might want to look at your computer cooling if you reach 85 Degrees Celsius also you can limit to how many cores DCS uses if you don't want it use all cores.

Issue is not my CPU temps (with Ryzen 5900x boost with these tems are normail). What it surprise me is the higher % of CPU usage with 2.7, it seems to me that more threads are used.

I attach two pictures and the trk file.

Mission instant action "A10A Close Air support"

No antivirus, no other background programs (my CPU 5900x idles in W10 at 28 ºC).

What you can see is %CPU occupied (only DCS, no background, and % with spikes to 50%. That means 12 threads used of 24 that has my CPU...).

The most interesting thing: 30-40-50% spikes occours when high AOA turnings happens. In fact, the picture shows CPU usage only during this mission.

Edit: this happens with a sustained FPS about 100-110 fps, 4K, MSAA and ultra details. If I set my TV refresh rate about 60hz (60 fps), CPU spikes are normal.

A-10A HIGH CPU USAGE_1.jpg

A-10A HIGH CPU USAGE_2.jpg

A-10A HIGH CPU USAGE.trk

Edited by Gryzor
  • Like 1

please devs look at it. It is not normal such % CPU used (I believe DCS use only 2 cores).

% spikes about 50% means 12 threads in my PC, and no, no background activities (% only occupied by DCS.exe)

• 1 month later...

Just switched from Stable release 2.5. to Stable Release 2.7.1 and have noticed the same. GPU usage seems to be down a little (thank you!), but CPU usage seems to be up (eek). Considering that I'm more CPU bound with complex missions - the update for me is actually costing me FPS due to the CPU usage.

Same here. I have a few missions I use to benchmark, and whereas before the max CPU temp would be in the 65-70 range, now it's 80-85, along with stuttering and FPS drops. Before 2.7, I could run at 60 FPS unless I was low level with mirrors on. Now, I cant even fly at a few thousand feet without cooking the CPU and stutters.

Well, I guess DCS is going on the back burner. I just got this computer (2060 RTX, i7-10750H, 32gb ram, 1TB M.2 SSD) and while it's not state of the art, I certainly am not about to upgrade my computer again, for clouds and a few goodies. 

What a shame. Was expecting some performance loss, but certainly not THIS.

Edited by mtpiperpilot
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, mtpiperpilot said:

What a shame. Was expecting some performance loss, but certainly not THIS.

Depending on your existing system - I'm not sure upgrading your computer will fix this issue anyway. 

I'm no hardware expert but from what I can tell Overclocked CPU's have been floating around the 5GHz mark for a while now. From what I read the latest Intel chipsets actually run slightly slower on a per thread basis - so upgrading your system if you're already running close to these speeds probably won't make much difference if you're already running at 5Ghz.

I believe they're working on multi-threading with Vulcan (?) - and if so, hopefully that brings some much needed relief to the CPU side of things because we're at our limit at the moment with CPU - and I highly doubt that CPU's will get any faster clockspeeds - I think they're very close to the limit of the speeds that can be done on conventional chips. 

Until multithreading - I suspect any future enhancements in development will slowly continue to take more CPU usage, and we'll see more hits - especially with more complex multiplayer missions.

Interesting! 

I'm not that bothered by the reduction in performance (that can and likely will be solved in time). My system is not super high end, but I can run the High preset at 60fps 90% of the time, and that makes me happy. But I dont like the CPU spikes and high temperatures. After more simming last night, I'm averaging around 70 degrees for the CPU, and 65 degrees for the GPU. The GPU utilization is very steady, like before 2.7. 

But the CPU utilization is another story. Its sitting around 35-45% and 65-75 degrees for a few seconds, and then a spike to 70-90%, with associated temperature spike into the upper 70s and lower 80s. The highest I've seen so far was 85 degrees. I dont like that at all. Yeah, the Tj of the card is 105, but anything above 80 is cookin' hot. I'm not comfortable with that.

I never experienced anything like this behavior in any 2.5 iteration of DCS. CPU was always steady, and never got about 70 degrees. 

Is there any way to mitigate these spikes, until they can figure this out? Which...hopefully is their plan. I've tried playing around with the in-sim graphics settings. I still get the spikes on low-medium settings, so it does appear to be a core sim issue. 

Edited by mtpiperpilot

My Ryen7 5800X often goes up to 80℃ because of the high CPU usage of DCS 2.7...And when you pause the DCS, the CPU usage decreases and the temperature goes to normal.

I guess the DCS might use our CPU to do something like mining...