Secret manual missle launch mode?

I have this module already for some years, but I never used the manual weapon mode in the past. I did not notice it in the flight manual and maybe it is not really explained.

In fact it is a very important option and easy to be neglected as a beginner.

When you set the weapon mode from auto to manual it enables you to launch the Vikhar missles without a proper lock. This is very imortant when you can not get a lock due to bad lighting conditions for example at dawn.

Also it enables you to launch ripples of missles, which can be really deadly. You can launch a missle every few seconds and then slew one after the other manually onto the next target.

I hope this info is interesting for you and I am not the only one who did not know about this 😉

Edited by LotusDragon
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Yes, you can do this, but you should realize how the missile is guided.  It's not a laser tracker, it's a beam rider.  A cone of lasers is output, and the missile tracks the middle of this cone, from it's rear.  So, you can't really just launch without a lock because chances are the missile will miss flying into the cone.  That's why you have to aim well at the target before you launch.  The cone also tightens as the missile nears the target.  This is why if your going to fire two missiles at a target, you need to fire them rapidly, one after the other.

I've switched to manual when I couldn't fire for some reason, but still had lock.  Other than that, I would say it is an emergency switch to fire Vhikers at close range without lock ( like if your shkval is damaged ).  A Hail Mary shot, if you will.

• Thanks 1

@3WA you're right in it being a beamrider and the cone. But note you do not need a lock. Locking is purely a contrast (or at least in the sim fake-contrast) lock from the Shkval system and has nothing to do with the laser. All it's doing is ensure the laser keeps pointing at a moving target.

Automatic mode you can use medium/long burst to fire 2 Vikhrs by holding down weapon release and it will only fire the laser after the second launch. Manual mode it fires the laser immediately, but you can fire a second one with a different timing, e.g. 6 second delay which will of course ride that same beam.

By extension you don't even need to aim at the target at time of launch. It rides the beam. That's also why moving target isn't really relevant to the Vikhr - if your laser guides it to the target, it's likely to hit and doesn't calculate lead. You can even loft Vikhrs if you do so manually and skillfully. As long as you're gentle with your movements in guiding it onto target, otherwise it will detect itself at the edge of that cone/lose the laser and then veer off too strongly trying to re-acquire.

It does like a ranging though so it knows how to grow the laser over time.

For Black Shark tutorials, visit my channel:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-LgdvOGP3SSNUGVN95b8Bw

As I understand it, the Shkval is just a supplement system, to see better if you will.

The guidance comes from the laser.  If you slew the laser designator, the missile will follow accordingly within limits.

Maintain thy airspeed lest the ground rise up and smite thee!

YiizHx5.gif

I flip the override switch as part of my startup procedure.

• Like 1

Nvidia RTX3080 (HP Reverb), AMD 3800x

Asus Prime X570P, 64GB G-Skill RipJaw 3600

Saitek X-65F and Fanatec Club-Sport Pedals (Using VJoy and Gremlin to remap Throttle and Clutch into a Rudder axis)

It's possible to launch Vikhr without track with or without automatic handing. What turning to manual allows is launching beyond authorized range and beyond alignment angle limits. I would use it to engage Osa SAM which were a little beyond authorized but the extra ~1500m or so allowed me to out range it at low level.

9 hours ago, Baaz said:

+1

Nice to know I'm not the only one who does this.

I ascribe to the "Always do what I told you to do you little SOB" startup procedures :).

• Like 1

Nvidia RTX3080 (HP Reverb), AMD 3800x

Asus Prime X570P, 64GB G-Skill RipJaw 3600

Saitek X-65F and Fanatec Club-Sport Pedals (Using VJoy and Gremlin to remap Throttle and Clutch into a Rudder axis)

On 4/30/2021 at 2:20 AM, LotusDragon said:

Thanks for all the replies! Now I understand the Vikhr guidance system a bit better 😉

And if you want a REALLY longwinded explanation of it's guidance system, go look up my question on it in the Russian forums.  There were some really good answers from some pretty knowledgeable people.🙂