Parachute lock

draconus

Last night I was training on NTTR IA Gen III mission and what happens very often was that I look around for targets, see a black dot (no labels, VR), try to lock it with VSL or PAL, but I get only TCS lock from Jester, then it turns out it's a parachute - ejected pilot! Never had this before. Is it correct behavior?

🖥️ Win10  i7-10700KF  32GB  RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M  TWCS  TFRP   ✈️ FC3  F-14A/B  F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR  PG  Syria

On 4/27/2021 at 4:55 AM, draconus said:

Last night I was training on NTTR IA Gen III mission and what happens very often was that I look around for targets, see a black dot (no labels, VR), try to lock it with VSL or PAL, but I get only TCS lock from Jester, then it turns out it's a parachute - ejected pilot! Never had this before. Is it correct behavior?

There weren’t any examples of F14 RIO’s hanging around to see if they could lock up parachutes after Mig Kills. 😉

The radar would easily lock the spreader bar on a towed gunnery banner using VSL or PLM, so perhaps that is a useful reference. I also think I had a RIO lock up a parachute flare for a sidewinder shot, but that’s a metallic object compared to a human pilot under a silk chute.

Maybe if he had a lot of low quality dental work?

Edited by Victory205

Viewpoints are my own.

There are some small metal parts in the harness and pilot equipment... but what about TCS? Its search mode area is very small afaik. I'll have to look again - maybe it gets locked when I put it at ADL or below (some default TCS direction).

🖥️ Win10  i7-10700KF  32GB  RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M  TWCS  TFRP   ✈️ FC3  F-14A/B  F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR  PG  Syria

Not that I think this was intended by us it's also not an issue as it seems to be realistic to me! 🙂

Locking onto a human dangling in a parachute with a radar would be quite hard as he's unlikely to give off enough of a radar return. The TCS however would be able to lock onto the contrast of the human and the parachute given the right conditions.

• Thanks 3

Actually from what I know its somewhat realistic. When we visited our helicopter base once as a school trip (Mi-17s, 24s) when I was still at school, we had oportunitty to talk to ATC operator at the tower, and he told us that when paratroopers were jumping out of Mi-17 few clicks away he could see radar returns of the metal parts in the parachute harness just like draconus said (he could not recognize individual paratroopers, but them from Mi-17, if im remembering correctly, it was some time ago). It was an ATC radar and they were pretty close, so how stable the lock would be for targeting is a question.