VRfree® gloves for DCS Open World beta 2.7 and beyond

Sensoryx is a small Swiss startup focused on precise and mobile 3D tracking specifically for virtual and augmented reality applications, but not only. Flight simulation and particularly functionality within DCS have been a key focus use case for us from when we started out back in 2017. As is the case with most new hardware solutions, it took us some time to advance to system to a series-ready state >and< ensure simulation support - in this case from Eagle Dynamics.

With today's 2nd generation VRfree® glove system users can operate pretty much all switches, buttons, rotary knobs and levers in the cockpit with their hands. The plugin as of today works via SteamVR/OpenVR, but ED is working on native support for Oculus headsets as well. We currently render the sim to our Oculus sets via SteamVR using the DCS Updater GUI utility by Skatezilla. 
Here is a recent video: 

We are committed to support DCS users and provide the best experience possible in flight. There are some who have doubted that our demo videos - all of which you can still access on our channel - are genuine even though we clearly show the desktop captured scene alongside the real scene - with the rendered scene on the monitor in the background. To anyone still in doubt: call us and we will do a live video session and demonstrate how you can use the system in-game.

Over the coming weeks and months we will compile additional videos in other planes and helicopters and we'll document the progress of the integration. We will also add haptic feedback in our next generation of gloves - in the same form factor. There is still much to achieve and improve from here. Stay tuned.        

• Like 4

It's great to see products like this reaching our hobby. 

i5 8400 | 32 Gb RAM | RTX 2080Ti | Virpil Mongoose T-50 base w/ Warthog & Hornet sticks | Warthog throttle | Cougar throttle USB | DIY Collective | Virpil desk mount | VKB T-Rudder Mk IV | Oculus Rift S | Buddy-Fox A-10 UFC | 3x TM MFDs | 2x bass shakers pedal plate| SIMple SIMpit chair | WinWing TakeOff panel | PointCTRL v2 | Andre JetSeat | Winwing Hornet UFC | Winwing Viper ICP

FC3 - Warthog - F-5E - Harrier - NTTR - Hornet - Tomcat - Huey - Viper - C-101 - PG - Hip - SuperCarrier - Syria - Warthog II - Hind - South Atlantic - Sinai - Strike Eagle

One of my greatest concern about VR is human-machine interaction (using the mouse to control things in cockpit in VR is a HUGE immersion breaker for me).

This tech is a promise to remove the need to use the mouse in the future days of VR (although it seems a little bit "in its early days" judging by the video 😉 ) .

Keep up the good work!

Very cool!  thanks for the post.  I'll be following for further updates.

MSI MAG Z790 Carbon, i9-13900k, NH-D15 cooler, 64 GB CL40 6000mhz RAM, MSI RTX4090, Yamaha 5.1 A/V Receiver, 4x 2TB Samsung 980 Pro NVMe, 1x 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD, Win 11 Pro, TM Warthog, Virpil WarBRD, MFG Crosswinds, 43" Samsung 4K TV, 21.5 Acer VT touchscreen, TrackIR, Varjo Aero, Wheel Stand Pro Super Warthog, Phanteks Enthoo Pro2 Full Tower Case, Seasonic GX-1200 ATX3 PSU, PointCTRL, Buttkicker 2, K-51 Helicopter Collective Control

Interesting but too pricey considering and HMD of 350€ offers a hand recognition that works pretty well, we only need support it by DCS

• Like 1

NZXT H9 Flow Black | Intel Core i5 13600KF OCed P5.6 E4.4 | Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo DDR5-6000 32GB C30 OCed 6600 C32 | nVidia GeForce RTX 4090 Founders Edition |  Western Digital SN770 2TB | Gigabyte GP-UD1000GM PG5 ATX 3.0 1000W | SteelSeries Apex 7 | Razer Viper Mini | SteelSeries Artics Nova 7 | LG OLED42C2 | Xiaomi P1 55"

Virpil T-50 CM2 Base + Thrustmaster Warthog Stick | WinWing Orion 2 F16EX Viper Throttle  | WinWing ICP | 3 x Thrustmaster MFD | Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals | Oculus Quest 2

DCS World | Persian Gulf | Syria | Flaming Cliff 3 | P-51D Mustang | Spitfire LF Mk. IX | Fw-109 A-8 | A-10C II Tank Killer | F/A-18C Hornet | F-14B Tomcat | F-16C Viper | F-15E Strike Eagle | M2000C | Ka-50 BlackShark III | Mi-24P Hind | AH-64D Apache | SuperCarrier

• 1 month later...

In this 2nd video of our DCS series we showcase the functionality of the VRfree® gloves within the DCS Ka-50 Black Shark cockpit. While integration is still ongoing, as of today (18 June 2021) the gloves work in the DCS Open World Beta 2.7 standalone game via our VRfree OpenVR plugin - switches, levers, buttons and rotary knobs can be controlled. This is not the SteamVR DCS sim, but the standalone DCS game.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Since the end of June Eagle Dynamics' internal plugin for VRfree® gloves is up and running. Their native support enables players to interact with the cockpit controls of all its high-fidelity models though at this point not all of those hi-fi models can be controlled with the index fingers' tips but rather with a laserpointer and a trigger gesture. We are confident this will change over the course of time and all models' cockpits will be controllable with the fingertips. It is just much more intuitive and also more precise.

Here is a video showing the functionality of the gloves within the F-14 Tomcat:

We explain the setup which is really simple on our website, here:
https://www.sensoryx.com/steamvr-games-with-vrfree/      

Edited by Sensoryx - VRfree
  • Like 1

Very cool concept,  I'd love to try it out. If I had a decent sized YouTube channel I'd ask for some review gloves. But sadly with 2 or 3 subscribers I can't claim that.

So I'll just have to wait to see the development and and if the price falls.

I'm curious how the gloves interact with the joystick and throttle if you are using a HOTAS. 

If this actually worked well I probably wouldn't buy Winwing control panels. 

i7 13700k @5.2ghz, GTX 3090, 64Gig ram 4800mhz DDR5, M2 drive.

More questions. 

Will you get to the point where you'll manipulate turn knobs with two fingers instead just pointing at them? If so will this come through software update or must we wait for a 2nd or 3rd generation glove?

And thirdly what about wear and tear.  Holding on to a joystick and throttle, will wear down the fabric inside the glove. How long can one expect it to last and is there any way to fix the wear?

As I said very interesting concept. I'd like to try out. But all reviews I find are a year or older. 

i7 13700k @5.2ghz, GTX 3090, 64Gig ram 4800mhz DDR5, M2 drive.

On 7/5/2021 at 2:30 PM, Sensoryx - VRfree said:

Since the end of June Eagle Dynamics' internal plugin for VRfree® gloves is up and running. Their native support enables players to interact with the cockpit controls of all its high-fidelity models though at this point not all of those hi-fi models can be controlled with the index fingers' tips but rather with a laserpointer and a trigger gesture….

So which are the models that can be operated using index fingers? F18, Ka50, and what else?

On 7/5/2021 at 10:44 PM, Gunfreak said:

Very cool concept,  I'd love to try it out. If I had a decent sized YouTube channel I'd ask for some review gloves. But sadly with 2 or 3 subscribers I can't claim that.

So I'll just have to wait to see the development and and if the price falls.

I'm curious how the gloves interact with the joystick and throttle if you are using a HOTAS. 

If this actually worked well I probably wouldn't buy Winwing control panels. 

Price: we are working on integrating our 3D tracking directly into the next generation of headsets. That way we can save the production cost of our headmodule and the system would have a more attractive price. Right now with 27 IMUs, several microcontrollers, transducers ... all of which have risen in costs it is difficult to lower the price without burning $ on each unit.
HOTAS: I believe you ask whether using a real HOTAS will interfere with the virtual HOTAS in those models where you can actually control the virtual stick/throttle with the gloves (that's not the case in various models): we didn't have much issue with this tbh in for example the F-18 since you'd have to grip the virtual stick in a slightly different way that you control your real HOTAS. 

On 7/5/2021 at 11:30 PM, Gunfreak said:

More questions. 

Will you get to the point where you'll manipulate turn knobs with two fingers instead just pointing at them? If so will this come through software update or must we wait for a 2nd or 3rd generation glove?

And thirdly what about wear and tear.  Holding on to a joystick and throttle, will wear down the fabric inside the glove. How long can one expect it to last and is there any way to fix the wear?

As I said very interesting concept. I'd like to try out. But all reviews I find are a year or older. 

Turning rotary knobs: The mode of interaction itself cannot be modified by us but has to be changed by EagleDynamics. The gloves would allow all virtual interactions that your real hands can perform. In fact in Aerofly our VRfree gloves can turn the rotary knobs just as you would in real life (minute 1:17): 

So this can definitely be done by ED - maybe if the community asks for it / supports it?
Wear & tear: You could fairly easily take out the electronics and put them into a new or even different glove (we offer the gloves separately/as a replacement). We can also offer leather gloves which are even longer lasting, but we have used our gloves here for well over a year and they are still fine. 

Is the material around the fingertips thick or can you still feel properly?

Is there a possibility/are there plans for a tipless version of the gloves? As far as I can see there are no electronics or sensors of any sort in the tips ... this would be a lot better for VR when having a HOTAS with a lot of different buttons, switches, knobs and so on.

I know I would be much more inclined to buy them if fingertipless. In fact, this question is the only thing stopping me from buying and using a pair.

Edited by Gnadentod

Your website says DCS native uses the laser pointer.

It then says the custom Open VR plugin uses fingertips, which is deemed more realistic, but that it only works with certain aircraft. 

Which aircraft does the plugin work with?

• 8 months later...
Il 9/7/2021 at 16:11, cordite ha scritto:

Your website says DCS native uses the laser pointer.

It then says the custom Open VR plugin uses fingertips, which is deemed more realistic, but that it only works with certain aircraft. 

Which aircraft does the plugin work with?

I have Official news about the Gloves from them:
As to the DCS models that can be controlled with the gloves, we have tested and found the following to be fully operable:
F-18
F-14
F-16
F-5
Ka-50
AV-8B
UH-1H
TF-51D
What does not work is the SU-27. 
Those above are actually the only models we have bought in DCS, so there should be more models that work.
Generally, all fully clickable models should be operable with the gloves.

So the ones above can be controlled >natively< with the Vrfree Gloves (all controls active) which means to can touch the controls with the tip of your stretched out index finger (rest of hand is clenched to a fist) and the switch will be clicked / the rotary knob can be turned (by moving the hand left or right) and a button can be pressed. What usually does not work is: you cannot hold the joystick or throttle with the virtual gloves (hands) which is fine because you do want to control those with your real joystick/throttle.

Edited by Piola

• 2 months later...
  • 5 months later...

I'd like some information please?  Will the gloves work well with Oculus quest 2 and a HOTAS?

Also, I'd like to see a video about the setup procedure.

I've emailed about this and received 1 reply a while ago but nothing since I replied.  How effective are your support services if sales emails aren't even answered?

The VRFree webpage is gone.

It appears this company/product has disappeared, along with several other varieties of glove, according to a "Ten best VR gloves" listing from 2018 where most are now crossed out. 

There is a $2000 option for the rich still available, but no sign of this technology being available for the rest of us anytime soon.

AMD 5600X in an ASUS ROG STRIX B550-E GAMING, 32GB RAM, with an MSI GeForce RTX 3070. HP Reverb G2

F/A-18C  -  F-14A/B  -  AV-8B  -  A-10C II  -  AH-64D  -  UH-1H  -  Spitfire LF Mk IX  -  Mosquito FB VI