Aerodrome Data and Frequencies - Updated 24 February 2024

Minsky

This is likely the final version of this page.

I made two variants:

The first one, based on the 13-204 document dated 2015, is very accurate but outdated.

The second one is based on the latest Jeppesen MIL charts, Navy's MITT EIS publications, and a bunch of other sources that are up-to-date, but lack a lot of details. So I had to guesstimate certain things (such as the location of the AAR tracks and entry/exit points). It should still be accurate enough for a relatively realistic DCS training though.

05_AC_Day_Marianas_01B.png      05_AC_Day_Marianas_01A.png

Edited by Minsky
  • Thanks 3

Dima | My DCS uploads

• 2 weeks later...

Making my way through the ILS charts.

I've decided to skip the dedicated RNAV plates, as these approaches are unnecessarily complicated for DCS.

What I did instead is augmented the ILS waypoints with coordinates. This will allow certain aircraft that don't have ILS (e.g. the Hornet) to fly a pseudo-ILS approach. Not realistic, but simple and efficient.

05_AC_Day_Marianas_Andersen_07-preview2.png

Edit: And the final plate:

05_AC_Day_Marianas_Andersen_08-preview2.png

Edited by Minsky
  • Like 1

Dima | My DCS uploads

• Minsky changed the title to Aerodrome Data and Frequencies - Updated 01 May 2022
4 minutes ago, Minsky said:

01 May 2022
- Syria: reworked to include the recently added locations (six airfields, three heliports, and two airstrips). Frequencies, IDs and other data revised and updated as well.

>> Download here <<

forum_syria_preview_010522-1.jpg

Awesome, thanks for your work on these cards, they're all excellent (F18 suite too)!

• Like 1

1A100.png?format=1500w  

Virtual CVW-8 - The mission of Virtual Carrier Air Wing EIGHT is to provide its members with an organization committed to presenting an authentic representation of U.S. Navy Carrier Air Wing operations in training and combat environments based on the real world experience of its real fighter pilots, air intercept controllers, airbosses, and many others.

Yep, great work. It’s just a pity that we can’t use it in the Syria Kneeboard, as it’s still not working after all this time!

• Like 2

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

• 1 month later...
  • Minsky changed the title to Aerodrome Data and Frequencies - Updated 14 June 2022
1 hour ago, Minsky said:

Thanks!

All kneeboards already have ILS frequencies.

Oh, I was only looking on the kneeboards with Lite images (maps), and not on the list. Would it be possible to add on the Lite as well?

ps: Just noticed that Nevada has ILS info on Lite version. Other maps don`t have.

Edited by skywalker22

One more thing I found, its about the difference in degrees between true and magnetic for Syria, its 5 degrees, not 4 degrees, as you stated on your stats.

image.png

image.png

One more thing, why in DCS is stated as negative, while here on this website is specifically stated thats positive? Do you have any clue?

---

Although this guy here takes -5 (subtracts from 291-5=286). Hmm, why not adding, if its positive (291+5=296 then).

Edited by skywalker22

@skywalker22: Note that the declination depends not only on the global position but also on the date/time.

29 minutes ago, skywalker22 said:

Although this guy here takes -5 (subtracts from 291-5=286). Hmm, why not adding, if its positive (291+5=296 then).

When the declination (between magnetic and true) is +5, then you have to subtract 5 from the magnetic to calculate the true heading. That's how I understand declination, but I may be wrong.

Edited by AstonMartinDBS

[Modules] A-10C, A-10C II, AH-64D, F-14A/B, F-16C, F/A-18C, FC3, Ka-50, P-51D, UH-1H, CA, SC
[Maps] PG, NTTR, Normandy, Sinai, Syria, TC

[OS] Windows 11 Pro
[PC] MSI Pro Z790-A, i9-13900K, 64 GB DDR5-5200, RTX 4090 24 GB GDDR6X, 2 x SSD 990 PRO 2 TB (M.2), Corsair 5000D Airflow, HX1500i, H150i RGB Elite, Acer X28, TM HOTAS Warthog (Grip@WarBRD Base), MS SW FFB2, Thrustmaster TFRP, TrackIR 5 & TrackClip Pro
[Checklists] A-10C, F-16C, F/A-18C, AH-64D, Ka-50, UH-1H

2 hours ago, AstonMartinDBS said:

When the declination (between magnetic and true) is +5, then you have to subtract 5 from the magnetic to calculate the true heading. That's how I understand declination, but I may be wrong.

It's the opposite, a magnetic declination of +5°E means you ADD +5° to a magnetic compass to get the TRUE bearing.

In the video, he subtracts 5° from TRUE to calculate the MAGNETIC  heading of Akrotiri RWY 28.

3 hours ago, skywalker22 said:

Because he's using the F10 map ruler to measure Akrotiri RWY 28's true bearing = 291°T i.e.

He knows the TRUE and  want's to calculate the MAGNETIC bearing the compass in the aircraft should read to fly the final approach.

Magnetic = True - MagVar = 291°T - (+5°) = 291° - 5° = 286°M

Edited by Ramsay
  • Thanks 2

i9 9900K @4.7GHz, 64GB DDR4, RTX4070 12GB, 1+2TB NVMe, 6+4TB HD, 4+1TB SSD, Winwing Orion 2 F-15EX Throttle + F-16EX Stick, TPR Pedals, TIR5, Win 10 Pro x64, 1920X1080

36 minutes ago, skywalker22 said:

Shouldn`t IRL have to add 5?

No, IRL most of the time you'll measure a bearing using a magnetic compass and want to compare the bearing you measured to a Survey Map aligned to TRUE North i.e if you were to stand at the start of  Akrotiri RWY 28 and measure it's magnetic bearing you'd read 286°M.

To get it's TRUE bearing, you'd add the local MagVar

TRUE = MAGNETIC + MagVar = 286°M + (+5°) = 286°M +5° = 291°T

... and use that to draw the runway/final approach on the Survey Map.

Aviation approach charts are an exception as they are usually aligned to Magnetic North except in countries like Russia or near the magnetic poles where MagVar has large changes over short distances/periods of time.

Edited by Ramsay
  • Like 1

i9 9900K @4.7GHz, 64GB DDR4, RTX4070 12GB, 1+2TB NVMe, 6+4TB HD, 4+1TB SSD, Winwing Orion 2 F-15EX Throttle + F-16EX Stick, TPR Pedals, TIR5, Win 10 Pro x64, 1920X1080

32 minutes ago, Ramsay said:

No, IRL most of the time you'll measure a bearing using a magnetic compass and want to compare the bearing you measured to a Survey Map aligned to TRUE North i.e if you were to stand at the start of  Akrotiri RWY 28 and measure it's magnetic bearing you'd read 286°M.

To get it's TRUE bearing, you'd add the local MagVar

TRUE = MAGNETIC + MagVar = 286°M + (+5°) = 286°M +5° = 291°T

... and use that to draw the runway/final approach on the Survey Map.

Aviation approach charts are an exception as they are usually aligned to Magnetic North except in countries like Russia or near the magnetic poles where MagVar has large changes over short distances/periods of time.

You are right, IRL you would 1st get a data (measurement) of actual (magnetic) bearing. As an example F-16, you don`t even need any True bearing data, but only Magnetic.

In DCS this whole thing is a bit misleading, compared to RL needs. But thx for awesome explanation.

10 hours ago, skywalker22 said:

One more thing, why in DCS is stated as negative,

Because the author of these charts has chosen to display DCS "TRUE (F10 map) to MAGNETIC" conversion values rather than the Magnetic Declination/Variation.

SyriaChartsByMinsky.PNG

10 hours ago, skywalker22 said:

... while here on this website is specifically stated thats positive? Do you have any clue?

The website calculates RL MagVar's across the globe using the World Magnetic Model WMM2020 which uses historical data to predict past and future MagVar's.

Note: DCS uses WMM modelling data from 1985 - 2020 to calculate/extrapolate it's magnetic compass readings.

Edited by Ramsay
  • Like 2

• Minsky changed the title to Aerodrome Data and Frequencies - Updated 25 July 2022
  • Minsky changed the title to Aerodrome Data and Frequencies - Updated 24 August 2022
  • Minsky changed the title to (Temporary on hold) Aerodrome Data and Frequencies

Hi, do you think it'll be possible in the future to add decimal value for magnetic deviation/variation into your charts ?!

thanks

System specs: Win10 x64 | i7-9700KF / i9-12900KF | 48/64 GB | GTX 1080 Ti 11 GB / RTX 3090TI 24GB | *NvME PRO 2To | HOTAS Warthog/Virpil | MFG Crosswind Pedals | Button Box