Plane to start in DCS ?

GCDV31

Hello,
I start in DCS and I’m looking for a nice plane to start.

I hesitate to take the Mirage 2000C (I love this plane) or flaming clif 3 but I’m open to other proposals.

Here is my specifications:
- A plane compliant with my hardware (I have an old GTX 1050Ti 4GO) and I do some tests in VR (Oculus Quest 2)
- Not too complicated airplane/weapon system because I ll just play 2 or 3 hours by week
- A module that contains tutorials/training
- Module with campaign and missions
- Currently I don’t plan online
- A versatile aircraft because I don’t know yet if I prefer air/air or air/ground
- A module not too expensive 40 euros (there are promos at the moment)
- For the moment I am staying in 2.5 because I am afraid that 2.7 will kill my poor graphics card

Thank you

F-5 is your candidate.

• Like 3

Phanteks Enthoo Evolv Tempered Glass, Asus ROG Maximus IX Hero, Intel i7 7700K @ 4.8, Corsair HX 1000i, Nzxt Kraken 62, 32gb DDR4 3000Mhz Corsair Dominator Platinum, Nvme SSD Samsung 960 Evo 1Tb, Asus Strix OC 1080ti, Philips 43" 4K Monitor + 2 x Dell 24" U2414H, Warthog HOTAS, Track IR 5, Obutto R3volution, Buttkicker Gamer 2, MFG Crosswind pedals, Occulus Rift CV1, Windows 10 Pro.

56 minutes ago, GCDV31 said:

(I have an old GTX 1050Ti 4GO) and I do some tests in VR (Oculus Quest 2)

And how is it going? Low performance card will struggle with such high res headset, unless you're used to low res and fps like me 🙂 And no, 2.7 doesn't kill cards. It finally puts them to good use!

If you don't mind non-clickable cockpit and simplified systems FC3 is the way to go for a great start and lower learning curve.

🖥️ Win10 i7-10700KF 32GB RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M HOTAS   ✈️ FC3, F-14A/B, F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR, PG, Syria

3 hours ago, draconus said:

And how is it going? Low performance card will struggle with such high res headset, unless you're used to low res and fps like me 🙂 And no, 2.7 doesn't kill cards. It finally puts them to good use!

Yes in fact I use low res and play with 30 fps... But I like VR!

Ok I ll try 2.7.

FC3 aircraft are simplified, but rely heavily on keybinds rather than clickable cockpit controls.  For a VR user this is very inconvenient and make the FC3 aircraft far less accessible than the full-fidelity modules IMHO.  You spend your time memorising keys rather than learning systems.

The F-5 is a good shout, as is the AV-8B if you want multi-role and the novelty of naval ops and VSTOL.  Don't discount the M2000 though, that was one of my first FF modules and it is a capable A/A platform with some A/G ability, though very little commonality with the American aircraft if you plan on changing aircraft later on.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Laptop Pilot. Alienware X17, i9 11980HK 5.0GHz, 16GB RTX 3080, 64GB DDR4 3200MHz, NVMe SSD. 2x TM Warthog, Hornet grip, Virpil CM2 & TPR pedals, FSSB-R3, Cougar throttle, Viper pit WIP (XBox360 when traveling). Rift S.

NTTR, SoH, Syria, Sinai, Channel, South Atlantic, CA, Supercarrier, FC3, A-10CII, F-5, F-14, F-15E, F-16, F/A-18, F-86, Harrier, M2000, F1, Viggen, MiG-21, Yak-52, L-39, MB-339, CE2, Gazelle, Ka-50, Mi-8, Mi-24, Huey, Apache, Spitfire, Mossie.  Wishlist: Tornado, Jaguar, Buccaneer, F-117 and F-111.

If you're into Russian aircraft, then the MiG-19. I can't really recommend the MiG-21 right now due to bugs and lack of SP content, but the -19 is easy to fly, fast, turns well and has powerful guns. It's outdated, but a really fun aircraft to use.

Mirage 2000 is great, and the campaigns are top-notch. It's more advanced than the MiG, but it's not hard to learn at all.

• Like 2

Many people have recommended the F-5, but I feel it's a poor choice for a first module, unless the F-5 is your favourite aircraft. The F-5 is not a poor module. It's very good actually, but it's extremely limited in capabilities.

My suggestion is get the M2000. It's a 4th fighter, with some air to ground capability, but is not as overwhelming system wise, that the F-18 for example is. Since you've already got your eye on the M2000, I feel it's a no brainer to go for it. The mirage 2000 is more capable than the F-5, and has a much more free and paid content available than the F-5, and lastly with the M2000 you will be competitive in most MP servers, both PVE and PVP.

• Like 2

Thing is the F5 is so limited in both roles . AG role is essentially the same as WW2 tech , making it very difficult to actually place bombs on target . AA mode is guns and sidewinders only (integrally) , making it a sitting duck for any bvr-equipped aircraft .

Yes the Hornet is a systems-heavy aircraft , but those systems are intuitive and semi-automated , and make things much easier for the pilot , not harder . Further , not all the available weapons / screens have to be learned at once . A new pilot can bomb effectively on his first mission . There is no comparing the accuracy of CCIP vs angle-rate bombing , for example , and the FBW makes the aircraft much easier to fly for a newbie than a stick-and-rudder aircraft like the F5 . A Newb would appreciate the rugged gear of the Hornet as well .

In short , the F5 requires far greater pilot skills to fly and fight , while being far less effective , and with a much more limited mission set .

• Like 2

9700k @ stock , Aorus Pro Z390 wifi , 32gb 3200 mhz CL16 , 1tb EVO 970 , MSI RX 6800XT Gaming X TRIO , Seasonic Prime 850w Gold , Coolermaster H500m , Noctua NH-D15S , CH Pro throttle and T50CM2/WarBrD base on Foxxmounts , CH pedals , Reverb G2v2

8 hours ago, GCDV31 said:

Hello,
I start in DCS and I’m looking for a nice plane to start.

I hesitate to take the Mirage 2000C (I love this plane) or flaming clif 3 but I’m open to other proposals.

Here is my specifications:
- A plane compliant with my hardware (I have an old GTX 1050Ti 4GO) and I do some tests in VR (Oculus Quest 2)
- Not too complicated airplane/weapon system because I ll just play 2 or 3 hours by week
- A module that contains tutorials/training
- Module with campaign and missions
- Currently I don’t plan online
- A versatile aircraft because I don’t know yet if I prefer air/air or air/ground
- A module not too expensive 40 euros (there are promos at the moment)
- For the moment I am staying in 2.5 because I am afraid that 2.7 will kill my poor graphics card

Thank you

Hello, may I suggest not to kill peoples eyes next time you post, they are trying to help you after all, ty ;D

Well since you are at 40€ limit, I'd go for F-5 but add 15€ and you can have Hornet or Viper which are amazing, and really not that hard to fly.

And 2.7 wont kill your gpu don't worry:P

First off, I'd highly recommend getting on the 2.7 Open Beta. The clouds don't tax the hardware that much actually and for many the new version actually runs smoother and I noticed that as well with a rather oldish system which is pretty much CPU bound in DCS though (as probably most are).

As for the module, you do like and would like to get the Mirage already. That is one good reason already. The next one being you wanting to fly SP campaigns/content. Now here that exact module is very special as the campaign that comes with it basically is a continuation of the tutorial missions, all of which are very well made by Baltic Dragon. So you'd literally get an in-depth tutorial as the campaign after the basic tutorials, giving you plenty of time and oportunity to learn all the things. It is a full-fledged DCS module with all the switchology involved, but probably the easiest one to get into that because of those missions and campaign. And you'll get into the basics fairly quickly, especially when you really want to fly that plane. Also on the plus side is it's FBW system, so you get some good assistance in the flying itself and can't do wrong too much, and you'll even have a very cool synthetic runway with your ILS system on the HUD that makes it a lot easier to do the approach in bad weather or low vis conditions - you will learn to love that for sure. Also, though not being a master at anything, you can do AA and AG alike, it just doesn't bring fancy guided stuff for ground pounding and the AA inventory doesn't include Fox 3 (active radar homing) missiles.

As for other modules: The F-5 is harder to fly and fight with, especially since you won't have a HUD, even though in general its systems are relatively simple as you don't have to go through MFD pages and such. And I'd dare to say many other modules that you could get for less than 40 bucks would either be even more simple in capabilities (like the MiG-19 for example) or more complex in operation, or more limited in what you could do with it (like the Viggen, which I'd suggest anyway or the Harrier, if you're more into AG). The FC package can be a nice choice, but it will dump you in that "I want more DCS" hole quickly as those are the low fi modules.

Also, please check out some free mods that are available, especially the A-4E-C (undoubtedly the best one out there - it's practically mandatory to get it), but there might not be enough content available for you.

3 hours ago, Furiz said:

Hello, may I suggest not to kill peoples eyes next time you post, they are trying to help you after all, ty ;D

Appears you use the night mode as well...

dcs-forums-darkmode-2.jpg

ED has some work to do here still with the stylesheets. The text shouldn't have inline background-color. And there seems to be a software problem also that makes the font black-on-white instead of auto-on-auto when c&p'ing from software other than text editors that don't use any kind of rich text format. I highly doubt so many people do mess with font colors at all, I see this very often since the software update last year though.

• Like 2

dcsdashie-hb-ed.jpg

59 minutes ago, Eldur said:

As for the module, you do like and would like to get the Mirage already. ... Also on the plus side is it's FBW system, so you get some good assistance in the flying itself and can't do wrong too much.

Perhaps, but that big delta wing is pretty unforgiving if you have a slow speed departure. I found landing the Mirage to be challenging when I was learning it. It's easy to get low and slow without enough thrust to recover. Otherwise agree with your assessment.

• Like 1

I'm Softball on Multiplayer. NZXT Player Three Prime, i9-13900K@3.00GHz, 64GB DDR5, Win 11 Home, Nvidia GeForce RTX 4090 24GB, TrackIR 5, VKB Gunfighter III with MCG Ultimate grip, VKB STECS Standard Throttle, CH Pro pedals

I’d recommend the Mirage. Cockpit isn’t too graphics heavy, it’s a full fidelity module but isn’t complicated. It can do air-to ground but the weapon choices are limited: not a bad thing if you are keeping it simple. I’m not a fan of the F-5....it’s like a trainer plane....the equivalent of the go cart i drove before I could drive a car. Weak engines, limited air to air capability (in terms of mid range/radar issues

the mirage is a great dog fighter, decent at BVR and can haul ass. You can mess around with ECM pods (in addition to chaff/flares), has a modern INS navigation for easy traveling and doesn’t require a lot of switch flipping or button pushing since it doesn’t have any MFDs. Plus, it’s gorgeous and it’s 30mm cannon are great for blowing up F-5s in the air and on the ground.

if you want a plane that can do everything and is only as complicated as you want to make it (as in: “how many different types of weapons do I want to learn”) the F-18 is good. You can always just shoot airplanes and drop dumb bombs with it and it’s as simple as any other 

so buy a big-boy plane....

Edited by Mikeck
  • Like 3

17 minutes ago, GCDV31 said:

I have 30Go free on my SDD. It is enough for the M2K module and uddate DCS from 2.5 to 2.7 ?

The M2000 is just over 2.5GB on my system. When I briefly tried 2.7 it downloaded an additional 36GB of data on top of what was already installed, but your mileage will vary depending on how much content you have installed. Personally, I would not recommend 2.7 beta in VR. The new clouds have too many issues and it ends up looking crap. Wait for the full release version instead.

Edited by Goffik

Why arnt anybody suggesting the JF-17?  Its a awsome aircraft, much easier to learn then all other modules i would say. Really good HOTAS functionality.

Its just a very good modern multi-role aircraft! You cant go wrong with it, I would pick that airplane for sure!  Its my favorite aircraft in DCS for many reasons..

Edited by DarkStar79

3 hours ago, DarkStar79 said:

Why arnt anybody suggesting the JF-17?  Its a awsome aircraft, much easier to learn then all other modules i would say. Really good HOTAS functionality.

Its just a very good modern multi-role aircraft! You cant go wrong with it, I would pick that airplane for sure!  Its my favorite aircraft in DCS for many reasons..

Because the F16 now exists.

JF-17 is also quite complex. Also, it's a fun aircraft, but not my first priority, especially given that it doesn't go on 50% sales. I was willing to get the Tomcat at 30%, but it's the Tomcat, which JF-17 very much is not. I would recommend getting your first module on a sale (ideally one which involves a free trial), just in case.

Another factor is the lack of SP content for it. I just haven't seen anything involving the Jeff in the store, and included missions were very limited.

Edited by Dragon1-1

6 hours ago, skins45 said:

Because the F16 now exists.

The only thing the F16 is better then the JF-17 is the speed.  If its multiroll missions, and SEAD ill take the JF-17 all the time, with its much more modern cockpit. It also have the ground radar wich is really good. Also the BRM-90 rockets are just awsome. The F-16 just feels old compare to it.  But i like both aircrafts thou.

Edited by DarkStar79

18 hours ago, DarkStar79 said:

Because it falls outside his budget.

On 4/29/2021 at 9:45 AM, GCDV31 said:

Thank a lot for all your comments.

So I 'll by the M2K. I have a last question.

I have 30Go free on my SDD. It is enough for the M2K module and uddate DCS from 2.5 to 2.7 ?

Make Sure you use Chucks Guide to learn it, he just released an update 2 Days ago for it. also beware, this Module could change time by time.

Chuck's DCS Tutorial Library - General Tutorials - ED Forums (eagle.ru)

• AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D, 64GB DDR4-3600 MHz, Gigabyte Aorus Pro-P B550M, Zotac RTX 3090, Varjo Aero

• 3 weeks later...

I second the recommendation for the M2000C.  It has A/A and A/G capability, fairly simple systems, and "set and forget" switchology for the most part.  The autopilot is the most robust in the game, and the HUD is intuitive.  Additionally, BD's campaign that comes with the module is part tutorial.  The M2000 is a great way to learn high fidelity systems (set up the autopilot, then play with the cockpit), and it's a lot of fun to fly.

• Like 1

On 4/29/2021 at 10:02 AM, Goffik said:

On 4/29/2021 at 9:45 AM, GCDV31 said:

Thank a lot for all your comments.

So I 'll by the M2K. I have a last question.

The M2000 is just over 2.5GB on my system. When I briefly tried 2.7 it downloaded an additional 36GB of data on top of what was already installed, but your mileage will vary depending on how much content you have installed. Personally, I would not recommend 2.7 beta in VR. The new clouds have too many issues and it ends up looking crap. Wait for the full release version instead.

If you can somehow free up enough space for 2.7 (and do the update which needs more while it's installing), you should do it anyway. Even with the issues the clouds are way better than before and it's still possible to fly without, although some might consider that a heresy now rdlaugh.png

BTW you could offload some contents like a few maps to another drive by moving them (from DCS World\Mods\terrains) to another place and create a junction that points to that other place with this tool: https://schinagl.priv.at/nt/hardlinkshellext/hardlinkshellext.html

With that the system and DCS still see the files on the SSD within the folder structure while they actually are on another drive, being able to access them (r/w) just as if they were still on the SSD. You could even move complete games to somewhere else with that, just leaving the junction pointing to them and everything keeps working. I've done that a lot in the past when my SSD space was too limited, always having an HDD with offloaded games in the rig as well.

• Like 1

dcsdashie-hb-ed.jpg