HP Reverb G2 vs Valve Index

dburne

56 minutes ago, dburne said:

Yeah that is interesting, even the MFD's can be a little blurry from time to time.

This might be due to smaller sweet spot, so instead of glancing from above with your eyes you may have to point your head directly at the AMPCD to get optimized image. 

Valve has very good support and return policy so I think it’s pretty safe to give the Index a try.  I got my left controller replaced within 3 days when it had issues. 

Other headsets on my checklist are the Pimax 8KX and the upcoming Decagear 1, but those companies don’t have solid or proven track records in support and service.  I also think that we will see better VR headsets within the next 6-12 months.  HTC is going to reveal their new headset in a few weeks. 

PC: 5800X3D/4090, 11700K/3090, 9900K/2080Ti.

Joystick bases: TMW, VPC WarBRD, MT50CM2, VKB GFII, FSSB R3L

Joystick grips: TM (Warthog, F/A-18C), Realsimulator (F-16SGRH, F-18CGRH), VKB (Kosmosima LH, MCG, MCG Pro), VPC MongoosT50-CM2

Throttles: TMW, Winwing Super Taurus, Logitech Throttle Quadrant, Realsimulator Throttle (soon)

VR: HTC Vive/Pro, Oculus Rift/Quest 2, Valve Index, Varjo Aero, https://forum.dcs.world/topic/300065-varjo-aero-general-guide-for-new-owners/

1 minute ago, Supmua said:

This might be due to smaller sweet spot, so instead of glancing from above with your eyes you may have to point your head directly at the AMPCD to get optimized image. 

Valve has very good support and return policy so I think it’s pretty safe to give the Index a try.  I got my left controller replaced within 3 days when it had issues. 

Other headsets on my checklist are the Pimax 8KX and the upcoming Decagear 1, but those companies don’t have solid or proven track records in support and service.  I also think that we will see better VR headsets within the next 6-12 months.  HTC is going to reveal their new headset in a few weeks. 

Yeah I have tried that with the AMPCD without much luck. A lot also depends on how well I get my headset positioned due to the smaller sweet spot you mentioned. But I do not get crystal clear sharpness on any of those instruments. Perhaps the QA on my headset was not quite up to par for the Reverb G2 who knows.

Never been a fan of Pimax nor the way they do business so I don't see myself ever giving them a try.

I figured now that I have actually purchased an Index Valve will announced a new one any day now lol.

My VR inventory is currently:
Rift CV1.

Rift S

Quest

Reverb G2

And soon Index.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

I also played with both an Index and a Reverb (G1).   The Reverb was clearly superior (no pun intended). For example, I could sit back in a Viper and clearly read all the text on the MFDs.  It’s really incredible.  With the Index (my son’s) I have to lean forward or use VR Zoom. The difference is most noticeable inside the cockpit as the outside view is pretty similar. 

That said, the Index still has a great picture and I would not be disappointed with it. FOV is a bit better which adds some immersion.  Also, my Reverb just died after 18 months so I have a rather dim view of HP at the moment.  ☹️  

Actually I’m considering whether to replace it with a Reveb G2, Index, or Quest 2.  I’d only need the Index headset so that puts the price in-between the Reverb and Quest. 

ORIGINAL:  8088 4.77 Mhz  |  640kb RAM UPGRADE  |  TANDY 16-COLOR VIDEO  |  DUAL 5.25" FLOPPY DRIVES  |  13" VGA MONITOR  |  TANDY DELUXE JOYSTICK

CURRENT:  i5-12600k @ 5.0 Ghz  |  32GB DDR4 DRAM 3200MHz  |  NVIDIA RTX 4090  |  3TB NVMe M.2 DRIVES  |  Pimax 8KX |  X56 RHINO HOTAS  |  VKB T-RUDDER Mk.IV  |  SIMSHAKER  |  VOICEATTACK w/VIACOM Pro

On 4/29/2021 at 12:59 AM, dburne said:

But again I will stress, my main goal with the Index and it's great controllers is for other made for VR games.

You know the Index controllers can be used with the G2 as well? 

A bit of work, but seems to be worth it. Definately cheaper than purchasing the complete Index set.

Edited by VpR81

Phanteks EvolvX / Win 11 / i9 12900K / MSI Z690 Carbon / MSI Suprim RTX 3090 / 64GB G.Skill Trident Z  DDR5-6000 / 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD / 2TB PCIe 3.0 NVMe SSD / 2TB SATA SSD / 1TB SATA SSD / Alphacool Eisbaer Aurora Pro 360 / beQuiet StraightPower 1200W

RSEAT S1 / VPC T50 CM2 + 300mm extension + Realsimulator F18 CGRH / VPC WarBRD + TM Warthog grip / WinWing F/A-18 Super Taurus / 4x TM Cougar MFD / TM TPR / HP Reverb G2

39 minutes ago, VpR81 said:

You know the Index controllers can be used with the G2 as well? 

A bit of work, but seems to be worth it. Definately cheaper than purchasing the complete Index set.

Yeah I had seen that before and did consider it, but I finally decided I just wanted to try the complete headset myself.

Much thanks for the suggestion.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

Index is out for delivery on Fed Ex.

Got my two camera stands I had ordered on Amazon set up in a diagonal in my room as recommended ready to go.

Now just need that Fed Ex truck to show up.

Tracking shows it should be between 10:40 am and 2:05 pm EST.

Don B

4 hours ago, dburne said:

Yeah I had seen that before and did consider it, but I finally decided I just wanted to try the complete headset myself.

Much thanks for the suggestion.

Considering this solution as well, but it is still 550 - 600€ for the controllers and the tracking boxes wich is also pretty expensive just for better controllers. I finished HL:Alyx twice and it was ok with the G2 controllers. Also playing Onward sometimes and here the G2 controllers are realy a pain. But about 95% of my VR time is in DCS and i´m still struggling with the Index controllers as that little amount of other VR games might not be worth spending that much money on better controllers. 

Phanteks EvolvX / Win 11 / i9 12900K / MSI Z690 Carbon / MSI Suprim RTX 3090 / 64GB G.Skill Trident Z  DDR5-6000 / 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD / 2TB PCIe 3.0 NVMe SSD / 2TB SATA SSD / 1TB SATA SSD / Alphacool Eisbaer Aurora Pro 360 / beQuiet StraightPower 1200W

RSEAT S1 / VPC T50 CM2 + 300mm extension + Realsimulator F18 CGRH / VPC WarBRD + TM Warthog grip / WinWing F/A-18 Super Taurus / 4x TM Cougar MFD / TM TPR / HP Reverb G2

I have both the Index and the G2, as well as 2 pimaxes. I only use the Index. The main reasons (my opinion only) vs the G2 are:

• Field of view is way better than G2, which I find is very valuable in DCS (note there is a fov adjustment on the index, it needs to be set properly otherwise it is just like the G2)
  • Lower resolution yields better playability(more fps)
  • The tracking is practically flawless
  • Brightness is better
  • Audio is way better
  • Overall, Index has been rock solid. Both the G2 and 1 pimax have been in for repair.

The G2 definitely looks gorgeous, but it feels like looking through a toilet roll tube after using the Index.

I'll say it again, if they released an Index with no screen door effect it would be pretty awesome.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

[Maximus XIII Hero] [i9-11900K (5.5Ghz)] [RTX3090] [128GB G.Skill @3800Mhz] [Samsung 980Pro] [Index/G2/8K+/8KX/VP2]

4 most important things for me to get optimal image quality on the Index with DCS.  Basically using software to help overcome hardware limitations.

1. SteamVR supersampling at least 200%.  This significantly improves overall image fidelity compared to default.

2. ReshadeVR.  This can increase clarity, vibrancy, contrast and sharpness—depending on your settings.

3. MSSA 2x.  This gets rid of the shimmerings and jaggedness.

4. Shadows medium.  This makes the cockpit and the world look realistic, rather than flat and lifeless.

• Like 1

PC: 5800X3D/4090, 11700K/3090, 9900K/2080Ti.

Joystick bases: TMW, VPC WarBRD, MT50CM2, VKB GFII, FSSB R3L

Joystick grips: TM (Warthog, F/A-18C), Realsimulator (F-16SGRH, F-18CGRH), VKB (Kosmosima LH, MCG, MCG Pro), VPC MongoosT50-CM2

Throttles: TMW, Winwing Super Taurus, Logitech Throttle Quadrant, Realsimulator Throttle (soon)

VR: HTC Vive/Pro, Oculus Rift/Quest 2, Valve Index, Varjo Aero, https://forum.dcs.world/topic/300065-varjo-aero-general-guide-for-new-owners/

1 hour ago, PicklePicklePickle said:

I have both the Index and the G2, as well as 2 pimaxes. I only use the Index. The main reasons (my opinion only) vs the G2 are:

• Field of view is way better than G2, which I find is very valuable in DCS (note there is a fov adjustment on the index, it needs to be set properly otherwise it is just like the G2)
  • Brightness is better
  • Audio is way better
  • Overall, Index has been rock solid. Both the G2 and 1 pimax have been in for repair.

The G2 definitely looks gorgeous, but it feels like looking through a toilet roll tube after using the Index.

I'll say it again, if they released an Index with no screen door effect it would be pretty awesome.

Thanks for the tip on the FOV. 

Audio I generally prefer earbuds myself running through my sound card, will give the Index audio a try first to see how I like it.

15 minutes ago, Supmua said:

4 most important things for me to get optimal image quality on the Index with DCS.  Basically using software to help overcome hardware limitations.

1. SteamVR supersampling at least 200%.  This significantly improves overall image fidelity compared to default.

2. ReshadeVR.  This can increase clarity, vibrancy, contrast and sharpness—depending on your settings.

3. MSSA 2x.  This gets rid of the shimmerings and jaggedness.

4. Shadows medium.  This makes the cockpit and the world look realistic, rather than flat and lifeless.

Thanks for the tip. I found with the Reverb G2 I prefer running Motion Smoothing on and forced to 45 fps. I can run pretty high graphics settings that way and still get smooth performance. Hope to see the same with the Index. If I could run it at resolution somewhat close to the G2 I think I would be pretty happy.

Again though main reason for me getting the Index is for made for VR games that utilize those controllers. If I find it very good with flight sims that would be even better.

C'mon Fed Ex time is a wastin...

Don B

2 hours ago, PicklePicklePickle said:

• Brightness is better
  • Audio is way better

Although this stuff is partly subjective, I would just say a couple of things in my opinion. 
1) I saw a slightly better FOV on the Index, but making the G2 feel like a toilet roll? I don’t think so. 
2) you can turn down the G2 SS to get better FPS, if you really want to. 
3) the audio units are the same in the Index and the G2. 

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

The Index Kit has finally arrived!

Time to get busy now...

Don B

35 minutes ago, dburne said:

The Index Kit has finally arrived!

Time to get busy now...

come on Don, we're anxiously awaiting your unboxing and initial shakedown report!!!  😀

MSI MAG Z790 Carbon, i9-13900k, NH-D15 cooler, 64 GB CL40 6000mhz RAM, MSI RTX4090, Yamaha 5.1 A/V Receiver, 4x 2TB Samsung 980 Pro NVMe, 1x 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD, Win 11 Pro, TM Warthog, Virpil WarBRD, MFG Crosswinds, 43" Samsung 4K TV, 21.5 Acer VT touchscreen, TrackIR, Varjo Aero, Wheel Stand Pro Super Warthog, Phanteks Enthoo Pro2 Full Tower Case, Seasonic GX-1200 ATX3 PSU, PointCTRL, Buttkicker 2, K-51 Helicopter Collective Control

1 hour ago, imacken said:

Although this stuff is partly subjective, I would just say a couple of things in my opinion. 
1) I saw a slightly better FOV on the Index, but making the G2 feel like a toilet roll? I don’t think so. 
2) you can turn down the G2 SS to get better FPS, if you really want to. 
3) the audio units are the same in the Index and the G2. 

Agreed, a lot is subjective so there is no right answer.

I should point out that on the index I have the FOV adjustment such that the lenses are almost touching my eyes. I push it all the way until they hit my face and then backoff one click. So definitely give this a try OP! The clarity and fov in this configuration is pretty great imo.

I also use 200% SteamVR with PD 1.0. I opted for maxing out the shadows vs the MSAA, but I just really like the cockpit shadows.

I also have reprojection disabled, it runs near 90fps about half the time.

I'm surprised the audio is the same between the G2 and Index. I have tried them back to back many times and it is a really dramatic difference, must be some setting...i'll play with it some more tonight thanks for pointing this out.

[Maximus XIII Hero] [i9-11900K (5.5Ghz)] [RTX3090] [128GB G.Skill @3800Mhz] [Samsung 980Pro] [Index/G2/8K+/8KX/VP2]

1 hour ago, javelina1 said:

come on Don, we're anxiously awaiting your unboxing and initial shakedown report!!!  😀

She is plugged in but currently trying to get all the devices firmware udpates.

Had updates for headset, base stations, and controllers. One controller is being stubborn and not updating.

Currently doing the base station updates and they are taking a while.

Not sure how much "play time" today I will end up getting with it so may be tomorrow.

Wife is leaving early in the morning and will be gone a week so I will have plenty of time tomorrow for sure.

Only thing I can say so far :

The build quality appears to be excellent, I mean this thing seems to reek of quality. The way the Rift CV1 did. Considering the price tag I was kind of expecting that really.

Weight - definitely the heaviest headset I have owned to date, can't remember exactly on the CV1 but this at least "feels" heavier. Still have to get it adjusted good to my head though. Remains to be seen if this plays into any sort of fatigue factor.

When I game it is usually for around 3- 5 hours at a time, on most every day.

I also may check out something from VR Covers for it.

Stay tuned , but it may be bit.

• Like 1

Don B

2 hours ago, dburne said:

She is plugged in but currently trying to get all the devices firmware udpates.

Had updates for headset, base stations, and controllers. One controller is being stubborn and not updating.

Currently doing the base station updates and they are taking a while.

Not sure how much "play time" today I will end up getting with it so may be tomorrow.

Wife is leaving early in the morning and will be gone a week so I will have plenty of time tomorrow for sure.

Only thing I can say so far :

The build quality appears to be excellent, I mean this thing seems to reek of quality. The way the Rift CV1 did. Considering the price tag I was kind of expecting that really.

Weight - definitely the heaviest headset I have owned to date, can't remember exactly on the CV1 but this at least "feels" heavier. Still have to get it adjusted good to my head though. Remains to be seen if this plays into any sort of fatigue factor.

When I game it is usually for around 3- 5 hours at a time, on most every day.

I also may check out something from VR Covers for it.

Stay tuned , but it may be bit.

I agree on the quality of the CV1 was very nice compared to the rift s that followed.

Did not get any serious time in with the Index this evening after fussing around with it , will go for a fresh start in the morning. 

I want to get some time in with it actually gaming before making any comments/comparisons.

My goal is still mainly to utilize the Index for those made for VR games where I think it might shine, and continue with the Reverb G2 for my flight sims. But I will try the Index in DCS and try to do a decent comparison between the two for DCS.

I definitely notice a better FOV with the Index, and appears to be a larger sweet spot perhaps - but I need more gaming time with it to really comment further.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Don B

Ok so got everything set up yesterday evening, however spent a lot of time with it - one controller was giving me grief updating the firmware but finally got it to take. Not much time for any good testing yesterday but should get some in today.

Initial very early impression:

FOV is going to be nice. Definitely see an improvement here, and I am even half blind I only see left of center- I can imagine how good it would be if I had full range of eyesight. Definitely a larger display in both horizontal and vertical.

Sweet spot seems bigger than G2. 

Comfort - not very comfortable for me. Heavy, and when I adjust it on my head does not feel like it has much of a cushioning effect. I have ordered a VR Cover for it and it will be here Tuesday. I really like the VR Cover on my Reverb G2 so hoping this helps the comfort issue with the Index.

Tracking - as expected I think it is going to be superb and second to none. Especially controller tracking.

Audio - like the G2 which has the same speakers, I did not much care for it. I much prefer earbuds so that is what I will use also with Index. At least it does have a headphone jack in the headset which makes it nice. G2 I use extended earbuds plugged into my Creative Sound on my motherboard as the headset does not have an audio jack. I will try Index audio through headphone jack and compare it with my Creative sound.

Giving the controllers a good charge this morning, should be able to get some good gaming time in with it today. That is where the rubber will meet the road for me.

• Thanks 1

Don B

1 hour ago, hsth said:

@dburne,

if you're looking for comfort for the index I can only advice Valve Index | Index Comfort Accessories | Studioform Creative . It took some getting here to The Netherlands but it sure was worth the wait.

Thanks for the tip - I will keep that in mind for sure. I have a VR Cover due to arrive tomorrow will see how well it does first.

Yesterday I spent most of my time with Half Life Alyx in the Index. 

I will be checking it out soon here in DCS, either later this afternoon or tomorrow.

Don B

Ok so the verdict is in for me with the Index and my flight sims.

I spent the afternoon flying in my Hornet Campaign in DCS.

I will be using my Reverb G2 for flight sims. Granted the Index was not bad, and the FOV is really nice to have in flight sims, I mean really nice. Plus that larger sweet spot. However I just don't get that really sharp clarity in the cockpit that I get with my Reverb G2. And that makes a difference for me. I even upped the SS to 220% trying to get it there, but it just was not. It was somewhat close, but the G2 clarity still beats it. I also noticed more shimmering in the distance and more ghosting of planes as they fly by with the Index  which was interesting. The clouds danced around a lot which was not as bad in the G2, maybe be a bug with DCS and the canted displays of the Index perhaps - I am sure they will get that sorted. The clouds are all new with this latest update to DCS.

Ok so I am not disappointed though, I had a feeling this would be how it would end up from the start. If I only used VR for flight sims, I would be very disappointed. However this Index really shines for those made for VR games that utilize the controllers. Half Life Alyx is gorgeous in it, love the larger FOV, and the awesome tracking of the controllers. I am sure I will like it as much with other VR games I play - will be doing another Medal of Honor Above and Beyond playthrough when done with Alyx. Going to check out Boneworks as well.

The only negative with going back to the Reverb G2 for flight sims will be losing that better FOV of the Index. And the larger sweet spot.  Now that I have seen it I want it lol.

I do a lot of flight simming but I will also being doing a lot of VR gaming with the Index. So I am glad I have it.

• Like 2

Don B

6 minutes ago, dburne said:

I will be using my Reverb G2 for flight sims. Granted the Index was not bad, and the FOV is really nice to have in flight sims, I mean really nice. Plus that larger sweet spot. However I just don't get that really sharp clarity in the cockpit that I get with my Reverb G2. And that makes a difference for me. I even upped the SS to 220% trying to get it there, but it just was not. It was somewhat close, but the G2 clarity still beats it. I also noticed more shimmering in the distance and more ghosting of planes as they fly by with the Index  which was interesting. The clouds danced around a lot which was not as bad in the G2, maybe be a bug with DCS and the canted displays of the Index perhaps - I am sure they will get that sorted. The clouds are all new with this latest update to DCS.

Ok so I am not disappointed though, I had a feeling this would be how it would end up from the start. If I only used VR for flight sims, I would be very disappointed. However this Index really shines for those made for VR games that utilize the controllers. Half Life Alyx is gorgeous in it, love the larger FOV, and the awesome tracking of the controllers. I am sure I will like it as much with other VR games I play - will be doing another Medal of Honor Above and Beyond playthrough when done with Alyx. Going to check out Boneworks as well.

The only negative with going back to the Reverb G2 for flight sims will be losing that better FOV of the Index. And the larger sweet spot.  Now that I have seen it I want it lol.

I do a lot of flight simming but I will also being doing a lot of VR gaming with the Index. So I am glad I have it.

I tried the G2 and returned it. Clarity is awesome but only in center. To me, the most important thing is FOV and sweet spot, it´s what give me inmersion in flight simulator. Of course, I expect some day to have a Valve index with the resolution of G2 and maybe, 300 gr. less... wil be awesome. Maybe an Index 2? I dream!!!

2 hours ago, dburne said:

Hey @dburne welcome to the Index family!

I've read a bunch of your threads, so I know you're not new to the VR thing.  Please forgive me if I over state the obvious. 

If you haven't already, turn off BLOOM in the DCS VR Tab.  This made a world of difference for me visually in game and should help with some of the shimmer.  If you still have too many jaggies shimmering then add the MSAA x2 (or which ever Anti-aliasing method you prefer).

Since you have no issues with locking frames at 45 fps, set the REFRESH RATE in SteamVR to 90 and crank up the SS (I see you went as far as 220%, but I think your rig will do 250% or even 300% without an issue and still hit your sweet spot of 45fps).

Does Nvidia play well with MOTION SMOOTHING?  I'm running an 6900xt and found that on an AMD card turning off MOTION SMOOTHING really helped with ghosting, as some folks have reported that AMD cards do not play well with it.

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D 8-Core Processor | Asus TUFF nvidia GeForce RTX 4090 OC | Asus ROG Crosshair VII Dark Hero | 64GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4-3600 RAM | Windows 10 Pro x64 | Virpil MT-50 CM2 Throttle | Virpil Alpha on WarBRD base |  Virpil Ace 1 Rudder Pedals | Saitek Pro Flight Throttle Quadrant (x2) |Acer x34 P 3440 x 1440 | Valve Index VR | DCS on NVME

3 minutes ago, Hartsblade said:

Hey @dburne welcome to the Index family!

I've read a bunch of your threads, so I know you're not new to the VR thing.  Please forgive me if I over state the obvious. 

If you haven't already, turn off BLOOM in the DCS VR Tab.  This made a world of difference for me visually in game and should help with some of the shimmer.  If you still have too many jaggies shimmering then add the MSAA x2 (or which ever Anti-aliasing method you prefer).

Since you have no issues with locking frames at 45 fps, set the REFRESH RATE in SteamVR to 90 and crank up the SS (I see you went as far as 220%, but I think your rig will do 250% or even 300% without an issue and still hit your sweet spot of 45fps).

Does Nvidia play well with MOTION SMOOTHING?  I'm running an 6900xt and found that on an AMD card turning off MOTION SMOOTHING really helped with ghosting, as some folks have reported that AMD cards do not play well with it.

I will try upping SS some more, but not sure I can get that clarity of the G2 for the instruments. Can't hurt to try.

Motion Smoothing on and forced to 45 fps looks really good in the Reverb G2.

• Thanks 1

Don B