DCS freeze when joining RIO

ustio

• 4 weeks later...

UPDATE 5/24/21:

It just happened again. 5th log is now attached. See original message below.

I keep getting game freezes (not responding) whenever I hop into the Tomcat (pilot seat) in multiplayer AFTER first hopping into a different aircraft. This does NOT happen if the Tomcat is the first aircraft I hop into on multiplayer after first initializing DCS. Not sure why this keeps happening, but this problem has been consistent throughout my flying in 2.7. This includes the latest patch. Log is attached. 

System Specs:

ASUS PRIME Z490-V ATX, ARGB

Intel i9-10900K (3.70-5.2GHz)

32GB DDR4/3200MHz Dual Channel Memory

GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER 8GB GDDR6

1TB Patriot Viper Gaming VP4100 Series (PCIe Gen4) NVMe M.2 SSD

Windows 10 Home 64 bit Version 20H2

HP Reverb G2 HMD

dcs.log

dcs-5-22-21.log

dcs 5-22-21-2.log

dcs 5-23-21.log

dcs 5-24-21.log

Edited by Fropa
Heatblur/ED working to resolve issue
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Same here, I've got severe crash/freeze issues with Tomcat. I can play Instant Action about 2-3 times before it freezes on loading screen.

In MP it freezes whenever I respawn or switch aircraft to F-14.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Ivory said:

Same here, I've got severe crash/freeze issues with Tomcat. I can play Instant Action about 2-3 times before it freezes on loading screen.

In MP it freezes whenever I respawn or switch aircraft to F-14.

Same here.

• Like 1

Redirected from the 2nd mission load bug thread to here. DCS crashes when running a 2nd mission in a row, restarting a mission, or switching maps, but for me only in the F-14. Tried removing mods, repairs, folder purges. The only thing that helps is setting the windows compatibility mode to win 7 or 8. This removes all crashes completely. The crash is a complete DCS freeze on mission load screen that can only be exited by terminating the process in task manager.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Modules: FC3, Mirage 2000C, Harrier AV-8B NA, F-5, AJS-37 Viggen, F-14B, F-14A, Combined Arms, F/A-18C, F-16C, MiG-19P, F-86, MiG-15, FW-190A, Spitfire Mk IX, UH-1 Huey, Su-25, P-51PD, Caucasus map, Nevada map, Persian Gulf map, Marianas map, Syria Map, Super Carrier, Sinai map, Mosquito, P-51, AH-64 Apache

14 hours ago, captain_dalan said:

Redirected from the 2nd mission load bug thread to here. DCS crashes when running a 2nd mission in a row, restarting a mission, or switching maps, but for me only in the F-14. Tried removing mods, repairs, folder purges. The only thing that helps is setting the windows compatibility mode to win 7 or 8. This removes all crashes completely. The crash is a complete DCS freeze on mission load screen that can only be exited by terminating the process in task manager.

Thanks, I can confirm that setting the windows compatibility mode to windows 8 seems to stop the crashes,i only tried a few times however.

• Like 2

Same problem, dcs crashes about %50 of the time when spawning into a tomcat, pilot or rio.  Seems related to lighting textures...

2021-05-25 15:51:14.959 INFO    Lua: Lua CPU usage: metric: average mission execution: 9.1535 %
2021-05-25 15:51:15.095 ERROR_ONCE DX11BACKEND: texture 'hb_f14_cpt_seat_extras' not found. Asked from 'NGMODEL'
2021-05-25 15:51:15.313 ERROR_ONCE DX11BACKEND: texture 'bake2pan_normals' not found. Asked from 'NGMODEL'
2021-05-25 15:51:15.592 ERROR   DX11BACKEND: Failed assert `false && "unknown format"` at Projects\render\dx11backend_win8\Source\DX11Utils.cpp:41
2021-05-25 15:51:15.592 WARNING DX11BACKEND: Texture 'mods/aircraft/f14/textures/rio/diffuserm/HB_F14_CPT_RIO_BUTTONLIGHTS_RED.dds' has unknown format: 95
2021-05-25 15:51:15.601 ERROR   DX11BACKEND: Failed assert `false && "unknown format"` at Projects\render\dx11backend_win8\Source\DX11Utils.cpp:41
2021-05-25 15:51:15.601 WARNING DX11BACKEND: Texture 'mods/aircraft/f14/textures/rio/diffuserm/HB_F14_CPT_RIO_BUTTONLIGHTS_GREEN.dds' has unknown format: 95
2021-05-25 15:51:15.652 ERROR   DX11BACKEND: Failed assert `false && "unknown format"` at Projects\render\dx11backend_win8\Source\DX11Utils.cpp:41
2021-05-25 15:51:15.652 WARNING DX11BACKEND: Texture 'mods/aircraft/f14/textures/rio/diffuserm/RIO_LANTIRN_PANEL_LIGHTS.dds' has unknown format: 95

Also explains why windows8 compatibility seems to help.

Secondary hack/fix, though i tried this only about a dozen times and i don't know if it works on DCS restart.

1. Go to mission creator
2. Create new EMPTY mission, no vehicles, no planes, no objects, nada....
3. Click fly and don't save the changes
4. Wait for the mission to load, wait a bit, then exit it
5. Exit mission editor
6. Launch any mission and restart or fly again at will.

I didn't have any crashes with this procedure even with the compatibility mode off, but i only tried instant actions.

Modules: FC3, Mirage 2000C, Harrier AV-8B NA, F-5, AJS-37 Viggen, F-14B, F-14A, Combined Arms, F/A-18C, F-16C, MiG-19P, F-86, MiG-15, FW-190A, Spitfire Mk IX, UH-1 Huey, Su-25, P-51PD, Caucasus map, Nevada map, Persian Gulf map, Marianas map, Syria Map, Super Carrier, Sinai map, Mosquito, P-51, AH-64 Apache

On 5/24/2021 at 1:32 AM, captain_dalan said:

The same here with me -> Steam, Windows 10 <-.
Whenever I load or restart a mission with the F14 for the 2nd time.
F18, A10, F16 are not affected by the bug

Edited by Dagobert666

7 hours ago, Cobra847 said:

FWIW we don't believe this to be on our side currently - hence why this has gone "ignored". Those texture asserts are errant.

A lot of people are having this issue, so, FWIW, I don't think ignoring it, or any other problems your paying customers bring to light, is the correct thing to do, regardless of where the issue lies. Moving on, what should we do? We've brought this up with ED, and a member of the testing team said to bring it here to the Heatblur team. 

Edited by Fropa
  • Like 1

58 minutes ago, Fropa said:

A lot of people are having this issue, so, FWIW, I don't think ignoring it, or any other problems your paying customers bring to light, is the correct thing to do, regardless of where the issue lies. Moving on, what should we do? We've brought this up with ED, and a member of the testing team said to bring it here to the Heatblur team. 

We are not ignoring this issue - there is a DCS issue logged and an investigation is underway. I can't verify the testing team individuals direction. If there is something we can do to fix this in the F-14; we will.

We have never, nor will we ever ignore issues; paying customers or not and I'm sorry that was not clear from my response. I was referring to the communication in this thread.

Edited by Cobra847
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Nicholas Dackard

Founder & Lead Artist

Heatblur Simulations

https://www.facebook.com/heatblur/

5 hours ago, Dagobert666 said:

The same here with me -> Steam, Windows 10 <-.
Whenever I load or restart a mission with the F14 for the 2nd time.
F18, A10, F16 are not affected by the bug

Same issue here. Second time the F-14 loads in, I freeze almost every time at least on MP servers (including my own).

Thanks for looking into it, Cobra.

3 hours ago, Cobra847 said:

We are not ignoring this issue - there is a DCS issue logged and an investigation is underway. I can't verify the testing team individuals direction. If there is something we can do to fix this in the F-14; we will.

We have never, nor will we ever ignore issues; paying customers or not and I'm sorry that was not clear from my response. I was referring to the communication in this thread.

Understood. Thank you very much for your response, and I'm glad that it is being looked into. You guys created an amazing product in the F-14, and I look forward to this issue being resolved.  🙂

5 hours ago, Cobra847 said:

FWIW I spent the morning speaking with a rendering engineer at ED to try and help solve this issue- it is being actively worked on. 🙂 

Awesome news Cobra!

On 5/26/2021 at 1:31 AM, captain_dalan said:

Secondary hack/fix, though i tried this only about a dozen times and i don't know if it works on DCS restart.

1. Go to mission creator
2. Create new EMPTY mission, no vehicles, no planes, no objects, nada....
3. Click fly and don't save the changes
4. Wait for the mission to load, wait a bit, then exit it
5. Exit mission editor
6. Launch any mission and restart or fly again at will.

I didn't have any crashes with this procedure even with the compatibility mode off, but i only tried instant actions.

Ignore this. Today, just after updating, i experienced the crash again. Not right away, but after several iterations. So for now, stick to the Win8 or Win7 compatibility mode if you have crashes on mission reloads or 2nd mission loads .

On 5/27/2021 at 11:41 AM, Cobra847 said:

FWIW I spent the morning speaking with a rendering engineer at ED to try and help solve this issue- it is being actively worked on. 🙂 

I am happy to report that I have not had any freezes since the latest patch, so things are looking better. Thanks again for all the hard work! 🙂

Same here, I'm copy/pasting my report from the DCS Bugs on Flappie suggestion:

I just did a Full Repair and tried (SP via ME, No Mods), the results are:

- Mix F-14: Freeze
- Mix F-16: No freeze, selected several time the same slot and no issues.
- Another Mix F-14: Freeze

The freeze usually comes the second time I launch the same mission, few times at the 3rd time.

As soon as I click FLY it freezes and after clicking somewhere on the screen it goes like the screenshot attached here.

PS: Just to clarify, it does it without exiting the mission but changing or reselecting the same client slot.

PSS: Log attached

Capture.JPG

dcs.log

Edited by Night Flier

Night Flier

_________________________________________________________________________________________

i7 9700K, MSI RTX 2080, 32GB RAM (3200 MHz), SSD m.2 1TB, Monitor 32'' WQHD 2560x1440, Windows 10 Pro

3 hours ago, Night Flier said:

Same here, I'm copy/pasting my report from the DCS Bugs on Flappie suggestion:

I just did a Full Repair and tried (SP via ME, No Mods), the results are:

- Mix F-14: Freeze
- Mix F-16: No freeze, selected several time the same slot and no issues.
- Another Mix F-14: Freeze

The freeze usually comes the second time I launch the same mission, few times at the 3rd time.

As soon as I click FLY it freezes and after clicking somewhere on the screen it goes like the screenshot attached here.

PS: Just to clarify, it does it without exiting the mission but changing or reselecting the same client slot.

PSS: Log attached

Capture.JPG

dcs.log 64.93 kB · 0 downloads

Yep, that's the same crash i have.