So when is real-time lighting actually going to be applied to airfields? Baked lighting looks absolutely awful

112th_Rossi

It was already said that there is currently no solution to this. 

For that very reason I do not use night setups even though I would very much want to.

Intel i7-13700KF :: ROG STRIX Z790-A GAMING WIFI D4 :: Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB ::  MSI RTX 4080  Gaming X Trio  :: VKB Gunfighter MK.III MCG Ultimate :: VPC MongoosT-50 CM3 :: non-VR :: single player :: open beta

On 4/30/2021 at 8:45 AM, Gierasimov said:

It was already said that there is currently no solution to this. 

For that very reason I do not use night setups even though I would very much want to.

Where did you read this? I don't beleive there is no solution

I honestly don't remember. It if was here in the forums, or multiple other social activity of devs / moderators /Wags. 

I think there was a post about this and it was responded that it is not currently possible to trace all light sources without negatively impacting performance.

Intel i7-13700KF :: ROG STRIX Z790-A GAMING WIFI D4 :: Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB ::  MSI RTX 4080  Gaming X Trio  :: VKB Gunfighter MK.III MCG Ultimate :: VPC MongoosT-50 CM3 :: non-VR :: single player :: open beta

Via reddit I also found this:

I asked the question to Wags on youtube some month ago, he answered that it should be hard for the FPS to add real time lightning but perhaps in the futur...

For todays CG, I don't think it's a big deal, and with a cursor perhaps you can limit that to a lighting drawing distance of 50 to 500m... I don't know... But yes it's a really big pain... The same on supercarrier, sad to see...

Or they can implement taht to the fix light (airport/road/carrier..) and after that to dynamic light like missile/ bomb and so on. 

• 2 weeks later...

The orange lights on the Supercarrier illuminate aircraft properly, and it really hurts framerates. Imagine if you had this on an entire airbase. Now multiply across all airbases from here to the end of the map within your FOV because DCS doesn't cull objects at distance. 

Edited by Nealius
  • Like 1