Modifying .stl files

lesthegrngo

Guys, I like others have downloaded and been grateful to the guys out there that have produced the .stl files for various bits and peices for us to print.

However I occasionally find that there is one that I need to modify, for example making it conpatible with a D shaft, or making the hole smaller, and sometimes having to reduce a dimension to make it fit. Unfortunately my version of Solidworks doesn't seem to want to play even when you convert it to a .sldprt model, they become a fixed component that resists modifiocation completely. If anyone has any idea how to do that sort of simple modification I would be grateful for their help. For info I tried Blender, after reseaching online, best to keep quiet about how that went...!

Cheers

Les   

Hi Les,

Imported stl model are not chageable in Solidworks but can bee re-engineered!

Meaning you can use the dimensions and draw your new part based on the imported one.

Regards,

Vinc

Edited by Vinc_Vega

Regards, Vinc

real life: Royal Bavarian Airforce

online: VJS-GermanKnights.de

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Hi Vinc. Yes, for simpler ones like knobs and so forth that was a good workaround. I did a couple last night to test (COVID era Saturday night anyone?) and the models were indistiguishable from the originals.

I also found that not all .stl are the same - there were a number of different files, and some of them could actually be saved as .sldprt models in Solidworks, and while you are left with an unmodifiable solid in terms of the individual polygons, I could actually use the faces on it to generate sketches from which I could make new features. Most, but not all could have holes extruded through them, however some could only have features added, with no way to make cuts or holes in them.

Nonetheless, certainly it was good knowledge, and my advice to anyone who wants to do the same is to try a couple of methods first before remaking the model

Cheers

Les 

Import STL in F360.

Then right click on the body on the tree to the left.

Function: Mesh to Brep -> New Component.

Volià: Editable 3D object.

Depending on the unit of the source model and your currently active units you may have to scale the imported or new created body.

Edited by RightStuff

Thanks again  - and yes, the scale thing caught me out on one model I was using just to play around with. Remember the Eagle Transporter from Space 1999? There is a downloadable model in sections on the web (Grabcad I think) and when I opened that, it was damned near full scale! At first I couldn't understand why it didn't seem to open, it's only when I selected entire part view that it 'appeared - it was like 5 metres across! I might need a bigger 3D printer.....

Cheers

Les