Over-cooling

DD_Fenrir

• ED Team

I did a test, and flew at 1900 RPM and 0 boost. I was able to fly for and hour and 30 minutes until the engine started to run rough, I then gave it some RPMs and it cleaned right up. SO yeah, 30 mins is just good practice so you don't get caught all fouled up at the wrong time. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

64Sig.png
Forum RulesMy YouTube • My Discord - NineLine#0440• **How to Report a Bug**

1146563203_makefg(6).png.82dab0a01be3a361522f3fff75916ba4.png  80141746_makefg(1).png.6fa028f2fe35222644e87c786da1fabb.png  28661714_makefg(2).png.b3816386a8f83b0cceab6cb43ae2477e.png  389390805_makefg(3).png.bca83a238dd2aaf235ea3ce2873b55bc.png  216757889_makefg(4).png.35cb826069cdae5c1a164a94deaff377.png  1359338181_makefg(5).png.e6135dea01fa097e5d841ee5fb3c2dc5.png

This is very good news.

I did a low level dogfight today (air start) fight happened at 1000 feet.

Ran on full WEP for most of the 8 minutes the fight lasted (some throttling down at top of verticals) but mostly full 3000RPM and 18+ boost.

Engine survived just fine. Throttled down to. 2650 and 7+ and engine seemed fine. This seems realistic and nice.

So the Spit is finally shaping up. If the cockpit could an visual update that would be fantastic. 

I also hope it one day will get 150 fuel and option for .50 cals.

• Like 1

i7 13700k @5.2ghz, GTX 3090, 64Gig ram 4800mhz DDR5, M2 drive.

• 3 months later...
  • 8 months later...

Sorry to try and reopen this, but as people have observed, the overcooling appears to have been fixed. That said, the coolant temperature is still dropping below 40 degrees when flying at say 20,000 or 30,000 feet… or at high speed in a shallow dive from height  

Should the radiator have an auto feature to prevent it dropping below 60 degrees?

All the best. 

18 hours ago, Rutch said:

Sorry to try and reopen this, but as people have observed, the overcooling appears to have been fixed. That said, the coolant temperature is still dropping below 40 degrees when flying at say 20,000 or 30,000 feet… or at high speed in a shallow dive from height  

Should the radiator have an auto feature to prevent it dropping below 60 degrees?

All the best. 

In spitfire coolant circuit should consist thermostatic valve which should prevent coolant temp going down too much. Iirc temp set was 80C.

In p51 temp is regulated via actuating shutter doors in spitfire those shutter doors have 2 fixed positions with no intermediate positions.

Edited by grafspee

System specs: I7 14700KF, Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Elite, 64GB DDR4 3600MHz, Gigabyte RTX 4090,Win 11, 48" OLED LG TV + 42" LG LED monitor

On 1/29/2024 at 11:41 AM, grafspee said:

In spitfire coolant circuit should consist thermostatic valve which should prevent coolant temp going down too much. Iirc temp set was 80C.

In p51 temp is regulated via actuating shutter doors in spitfire those shutter doors have 2 fixed positions with no intermediate positions.

Thank you. So in theory, the coolant temp should never drop below 60? Given the thermostatic valve in place?

thanks 

On 1/30/2024 at 6:30 PM, Rutch said:

Thank you. So in theory, the coolant temp should never drop below 60? Given the thermostatic valve in place?

thanks 

Pretty much all thermostatic valves in coolant circuits consist small opening which is opened even when valve is completely closed, reason for this is to push a little bit of hot coolant to other side of valve so it can react quicker and with better precision, so in theory if you would cut throttle completely and put plane into long dive temp could drop below 60C but it would took a lot of time. Flying at even very low power like boost +0 at 2000rpm this setup should hold that 80C with no problem. 

Another positive factor of this thermostatic valve is that warming engine up especially in sub zero temp will happen very fast due to that coolant flow through radiator is near zero up to 80C.

P-51 had special attachment, for cold weather to prevent overcooling in flight, which restrict flow through belly air scoop.

Edited by grafspee
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

System specs: I7 14700KF, Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Elite, 64GB DDR4 3600MHz, Gigabyte RTX 4090,Win 11, 48" OLED LG TV + 42" LG LED monitor

On 1/30/2024 at 7:45 PM, grafspee said:

Pretty much all thermostatic valves in coolant circuits consist small opening which is opened even when valve is completely closed, reason for this is to push a little bit of hot coolant to other side of valve so it can react quicker and with better precision, so in theory if you would cut throttle completely and put plane into long dive temp could drop below 60C but it would took a lot of time. Flying at even very low power like boost +0 at 2000rpm this setup should hold that 80C with no problem. 

Another positive factor of this thermostatic valve is that warming engine up especially in sub zero temp will happen very fast due to that coolant flow through radiator is near zero up to 80C.

P-51 had special attachment, for cold weather to prevent overcooling in flight, which restrict flow through belly air scoop.

Thank you very much for this excellent explanation grafspee. 

For this reason I wish the DCS spit would reflect this. When flying at low boost and RPM and at higher altitudes, when I check the temps I am not seeing what I would expect I.e. I am seeing coolant at 40 degrees rather than above 60.  

I wonder whether the technical people could further update the spit. At the moment I am warning up my engine so the coolant is > 60 degrees but as soon as I take off and throttle back to low boost it drops below 60, which doesn’t seem right. 

On 12/30/2022 at 5:21 PM, NineLine said:

I did a test, and flew at 1900 RPM and 0 boost. I was able to fly for and hour and 30 minutes until the engine started to run rough, I then gave it some RPMs and it cleaned right up. SO yeah, 30 mins is just good practice so you don't get caught all fouled up at the wrong time

Hi NineLine, is there any chance this could be looked at? Thank you 

It's fine as is. The cooling system keeps a constant low level of flow going even when the thermostatic valve is "closed", else no heat would be removed from the engine at all.

• Like 1

DCS WWII player. I run the mission design team behind 4YA WWII, the most popular DCS World War 2 server.

https://www.ProjectOverlord.co.uk - for 4YA WW2 mission stats, mission information, historical research blogs and more.

21 hours ago, Skewgear said:

It's fine as is. The cooling system keeps a constant low level of flow going even when the thermostatic valve is "closed", else no heat would be removed from the engine at all.

I understand that it still allows some flow through, but given the minimum temperature of the radiator is 60 degrees, then when it drops to just above 40, I wonder whether a) that’s an issue and b) whether that would happen for real? 

if I was a pilot in ww2, flying at 20,000 feet over France and suddenly my radiator temperature dropped to c. 40 degrees, I might start to worry…

@NineLine I believe @grafspee and a few others have provided Rolls Royce documentation to support the point that the spitfire (in most cases) had a thermostatic valve, which keeps the RAD temp at 80 degrees or above. 

I will try and do a track to show it < 60 degrees in general flight 

• Like 1