Over-cooling

DD_Fenrir

I had the issue also after trying to fly some Epson mission using the "economy" setting... I probably ended up with too low temperature / too high pressure too.

I bought the Big Show campaign yesterday, so I hope the issue will be fixed someday. Thanks for the update and good luck tuning the thermodynamics equations !

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

I'll give this a bump. Trying to fly an accurate WW2 photo recce sortie* in the Spitfire leads to engine over cooling and seizure when you try to descend from 21,000ft. The increased airflow and minimal power setting for the descent means the lack of rad shutoff valve causes problems that don't exist on the real aircraft.

* https://projectoverlord.co.uk/blog/2022/05/15/the-most-historically-accurate-objective-in-4ya-ww2-recon-4th-june-1944/

DCS WWII player. I run the mission design team behind 4YA WWII, the most popular DCS World War 2 server.

https://www.ProjectOverlord.co.uk - for 4YA WW2 mission stats, mission information, historical research blogs and more.

I would also like to give this a nudge.  I have been playing the new 'Beware, Beware' campaign (so far, excellent).  I am finding it frustrating that I am having to use max continuous or +4 boost rather than 0 pounds and 2000 / 1800 RPM.  Even +5 and 2,650 seems to cause issues with the Spit at higher altitudes.

I think I speak for a lot of people when I say that we want to be able to run our Spitfires economically, so that we can fly the missions for an hour and a half and return to home base without having to glide or bail out - it really ruins the ending.

Thank you

R

image.png

• Like 2

This information concerning the work on the cooling system on the Mossie now sheds some light on this problem. Had the Mossie been in development at the time of release of the Spitfire?

Thanks, (hope this is soon, my Spit has been sitting in the hanger a long time now) 

You know what is worst for me, lack of news from ww2, i am waiting and waiting and it is nothing, i feel like it is no progress.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

System specs: I7 14700KF, Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Elite, 64GB DDR4 3600MHz, Gigabyte RTX 4090,Win 11, 48" OLED LG TV + 42" LG LED monitor

• 3 weeks later...

This bug persist since Spitfire release, at least ED could disable engine failures related to high oil pressure and low engine temp.

Then every one would nicely wait for fix.

Edited by grafspee
  • Like 1

System specs: I7 14700KF, Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Elite, 64GB DDR4 3600MHz, Gigabyte RTX 4090,Win 11, 48" OLED LG TV + 42" LG LED monitor

• ED Team
On 6/27/2022 at 1:13 PM, Rutch said:

I would also like to give this a nudge.  I have been playing the new 'Beware, Beware' campaign (so far, excellent).  I am finding it frustrating that I am having to use max continuous or +4 boost rather than 0 pounds and 2000 / 1800 RPM.  Even +5 and 2,650 seems to cause issues with the Spit at higher altitudes.

I think I speak for a lot of people when I say that we want to be able to run our Spitfires economically, so that we can fly the missions for an hour and a half and return to home base without having to glide or bail out - it really ruins the ending.

Thank you

R

image.png

This table represents fuel consumption regarding the time, but you need to modify it regarding distance to find the minimal consumption per km.

Ніщо так сильно не ранить мозок, як уламки скла від розбитих рожевих окулярів

There is nothing so hurtful for the brain as splinters of broken rose-coloured spectacles.

Ничто так сильно не ранит мозг, как осколки стекла от разбитых розовых очков (С) Me

• ED Team

In the current version of DCS Spit flies at 9400 m at IAS 280-300 kph using 2400-2500 rpm to have 0-1.5 lb. Water temperature is not less than 60 , oil - 55C. No overcooling due to thermostatic valve. As the Spit was just released this valve was not operative by mistake..

There is nothing so hurtful for the brain as splinters of broken rose-coloured spectacles.

Ничто так сильно не ранит мозг, как осколки стекла от разбитых розовых очков (С) Me

7 hours ago, Yo-Yo said:

In the current version of DCS Spit flies at 9400 m at IAS 280-300 kph using 2400-2500 rpm to have 0-1.5 lb. Water temperature is not less than 60 , oil - 55C. No overcooling due to thermostatic valve. As the Spit was just released this valve was not operative by mistake..

Do you mean current OpenBeta, or your internal, developer's build? I haven't tested the plane in 2.7.16.27869 yet.

Edited by Art-J

i7 9700K @ stock speed, single GTX1070, 32 gigs of RAM, TH Warthog, MFG Crosswind, Win10.

So something was changed recently which i am not aware. I remember temp needles going down to minimum values when cruising at low power in cold weather. With hot weather Spitfire had no problems with overcooling temps like +20C or more things were getting bad at sub freezing temps, engine warm up took ages, extreme overcooling while descending and landing plane and low alt cruising. And oil pressure going off the gauge range.

Edited by grafspee

• ED Team
1 hour ago, Art-J said:

Do you mean current OpenBeta, or your internal, developer's build? I haven't tested the plane in 2.7.16.27869 yet.

Will be glad to see if the difference presents in the release version. The thermostatic valve was fixed very long time ago. If the bug is still in the release, probably the fix was not merged.

• Like 1

Does it mean that Spitfire holds 80C coolant at low power settings and retain 80C in glide too and warm up very fast ?

Edited by grafspee

On 7/26/2022 at 9:14 PM, Yo-Yo said:

Will be glad to see if the difference presents in the release version. The thermostatic valve was fixed very long time ago. If the bug is still in the release, probably the fix was not merged.

Tried to replicate your tests in latest OpenBeta, but closer to ISA conditions (15C and 760 mm Hg at SL). Oil temp didn't go below 55 C indeed (while its presure was usually about 120 psi), but coolant dropped to about 48 C, as shown on screen below. Is this how it's supposed to be after the fix?

Lowering RPM to 2200 decreased coolant temp to about 47, but nothing else changed. Also, temps stayed that way during long shallow descent @ 2400 RPM afterwards.

Haven't tried winter conditions yet with much lower ambient temps. Maybe next time.

Screen_220727_221033.jpg

Edited by Art-J

i7 9700K @ stock speed, single GTX1070, 32 gigs of RAM, TH Warthog, MFG Crosswind, Win10.

The attached text and diagram is from the ED Spitfire module handbook. It shows a head on schematic of the Spitfire IX engine cooling system. Item 1 is the header tank, 4 is the thermostatic valve whose operation is described in the text and 6 is the radiator.

If the thermostatic valve in the game is set to operate at 55 C instead of 80 C then it doesn't agree with the module's own manual.

Screenshot_20220728-090252_Adobe Acrobat.jpg

• Like 1

DCS WWII player. I run the mission design team behind 4YA WWII, the most popular DCS World War 2 server.

https://www.ProjectOverlord.co.uk - for 4YA WW2 mission stats, mission information, historical research blogs and more.

• 4 weeks later...
On 8/21/2022 at 9:53 PM, Gunfreak said:

So for us who aren't good at techo babble.

Is this still a problem as mentioned from 18:43

Unfortunately, I believe it is, yes.

I had the engine quit on me yesterday, flying at 10k feet (temp 15C in mission editor) at 2000rpm and 0/+2 boost.
Seeing as they released some work on WW2 birds cooling in the last patch, I hope this will be sorted soon as well.

Br,

Mud

Spoiler

W10-x64 | Z390 Gigabyte Aorus Ultra | Core i7 9700K @ 4.8Ghz | Noctua NH-D15

Corsair 32Gb 3200 | MSI RTX 3080ti Gaming X

Asus Xonar AE | TM Hotas Warthog

MFG Crosswind pedals | Valve Index

25 minutes ago, Mud said:

Unfortunately, I believe it is, yes.

I had the engine quit on me yesterday, flying at 10k feet (temp 15C in mission editor) at 2000rpm and 0/+2 boost.
Seeing as they released some work on WW2 birds cooling in the last patch, I hope this will be sorted soon as well.

Br,

Mud

Wow so even 2000rpm and 0/+2 will break it? Don't even have to go as low as 1700rpm and -4boost.

i7 13700k @5.2ghz, GTX 3090, 64Gig ram 4800mhz DDR5, M2 drive.

Take it with a grain of salt, because I was not testing specifically and wasn't paying attention to what my settings were exactly.  But I believe I was in that range.
I will probably do a test later today with those settings to confirm.

Spoiler

Well, I just tried replicating the issue and I was not able to.  Flew for about an hour with mostly staying in the 2000rpm range and boost around 0/+2.
Coolant temperature stayed just shy of 50 degrees, and old pressure below 120.

Spoiler