TWO questions on CASE II recovery

Cruizzzzer

Hey everyone,

I got two questions concerning CASE II recovery…

as I cannot find the exact procedure in the manuals…

1st scenario:

WX is such as you can complete the recovery with a CASE I recovery.

Starting the CASE II recovery until 10NM it will be the same as a CASE III recovery, thus your IAS will be 250kts until 10NM. So assuming that you break the clouds after 10NM and going visual with the carrier, you ought to fly the rest of pattern as a CASE I recovery (via initial, break, downwind, groove and land).

QUESTION:

At the point where you get visual (between 10NM and 5 NM) are you going to speed up to 350kts in accordance to CASE I recovery?

In my opinion I would say “yes” as continue flying with a “wrong” speed of 250kts for a CASE I will give you different parameters and gates.

2nd scenario:

Same as above with the difference that you are able to break the clouds at 10NM but cannot get visual with the carrier at 5NM.

Now the manual says, that you are being vectored into the “waveoff / bolter pattern” for a CASE III recovery.

QUESTION:

How exactly are you going to fly it “speedwise”?

Are you going to configure to “FLAPS… half” just after passing inbound 5NM, or are you keeping IAS at 250kts until being vectored into the pattern?

Or are you just going to do the “pilot stuff” and configure the hornet according to your “personal pattern”?

Thanks for your help!

case2.jpg

• Like 1

1. Yes, arrive at initial @ 350 KIAS flying a normal CASE I recovery at this point (Flaps come down in the break)

2. Unsure, however my initial thought would be that since CASE II is essentially CASE III until you have visual on the boat (no sooner than 10nm) then if you do not see the boat by 5nm you simply continue your CASE III approach to land. If you're AFU for some reason, then wave off.

Edited by MARLAN_

1A100.png?format=1500w  

Virtual CVW-8 - The mission of Virtual Carrier Air Wing EIGHT is to provide its members with an organization committed to presenting an authentic representation of U.S. Navy Carrier Air Wing operations in training and combat environments based on the real world experience of its real fighter pilots, air intercept controllers, airbosses, and many others.

on 1.

totally agree on that... you will hit the burner, speed up to IAS 350 and enter the pattern...

on 2.

I don't think that a straight in case III approach will be possible from this point, as when having "worst case scenario" at 5NM flying at 250kts you won't be able to be fully configured at 3NM for G/S intercept (except if you rushed the approach: gear down, flaps down, speedbrakes extended, as to decelerate from 250kts to final approach speed).

I believe that somewhere upwind you are being vectored to downwind (into the bolter/waveoff pattern), but not sure at which point you are going to configure to HALF FLAPS...image.png

on 2.

I think it will look like this, but not really sure...image.png

14 hours ago, Agrrregat said:

@Cruizzzzer From which quide this screen is? Looks awsome!

I am writing those manuals myself, trying to get all information for the hornet as close together from original sources available, packed into pdfs and converting them into the kneeboards for ingame use.

Chose the background color so its readability in night-ops is given.

In the above case it is the case 2 scenario, but got the whole bunch also for case 1 & 3...

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

Edited by Cruizzzzer
  • Like 3

12 hours ago, Cruizzzzer said:

I am writing those manuals myself, trying to get all information for the hornet as close together from original sources available, packed into pdfs and converting them into the kneeboards for ingame use.

Chose the background color so its readability in night-ops is given.

In the above case it is the case 2 scenario, but got the whole bunch also for case 1 & 3...

It' looks really good, this background fits nice for day ops too. I need to create something similar too! 

48 minutes ago, Agrrregat said:

It' looks really good, this background fits nice for day ops too.

yeah, it does... day and night version all in one 😉

and thanks!

48 minutes ago, Agrrregat said:

I need to create something similar too! 

yap... writing manuals by yourself really gets you into the stuff. you start to think about all those little details and "how-to's".

lots of work, but when it is fun, it's no work...

Edited by Cruizzzzer
  • Like 1

@Cruizzzzer
1: You will accelerate to 350 when transferred to TWR. So you report the "see you" call to Approach, and he/she will say "update state, contact TWR" From this point it is ZIP LIP again and you then descend to 800ft and accelerate to 350kts. although you might already be at 800ft all depending on where you get visual... if not visual at 10 you are allowed to go to 800ft directly... There is no requirement to go burner, although that doesn't mean you aren't allowed to use burner to speed up... If you are not exactly at 350kts at the initial... this wont be a big issue. 

2: Can only be answered with it depends. How you will configure depends completely on what your instructions will be from approach... If you wont see the boat before 5, very likely all the guys behind you are now also not going to be able to continue with a CASEII. Hell you might not even be alone, as it is perfectly possible to have a wingman on your right, or you might be a wingman yourself... If being vectored for a straight in, this will likely still be achievable as you are already at 800ft meaning your descend on the FB will not start at 3DME but less then 2... as it sais, likely you will be vectored for a Case III, and even a Delta might be given... you will simply have to adapt to the conditions and use common sense and pilot shit to make it work.. 

3: Nice looking kneeboards, and it seems you have used a lot of the information coming from my manuals implemented in your kneeboards. Please delete everything you have ever read in CNATRA out of your brain when it comes to carrier operations as it is simply not applicable on the fleet. Use CV-NATOPS as your only source, that will polish out the incorrect things out of your kneeboards. Especially a lot of the numbers are incorrect, of something that works for you, although not correct in what is teached in the USN

Also happy to go through some of the details with you if you like,, just send me a PM 

• Like 1