Graphics/Rendering issue

Assuming it was a specific problem with the Tomcat, I reported the problem initially in the F-14 bug forum.

Later, during further testing I realized, that the same problem occurs also with other aircraft (F-16C and F/A-18C for instance).

You can find detailed infos about the issue including tracks and logs in this thread:

@NineLine, @BIGNEWY or any other admin: it would be great, if you could merge the threads. Thanks!

Edited by AstonMartinDBS

[Modules] A-10C, A-10C II, AH-64D, F-14A/B, F-16C, F/A-18C, FC3, Ka-50, P-51D, UH-1H, CA, SC
[Maps] PG, NTTR, Normandy, Sinai, Syria, TC

[OS] Windows 11 Pro
[PC] MSI Pro Z790-A, i9-13900K, 64 GB DDR5-5200, RTX 4090 24 GB GDDR6X, 2 x SSD 990 PRO 2 TB (M.2), Corsair 5000D Airflow, HX1500i, H150i RGB Elite, Acer X28, TM HOTAS Warthog (Grip@WarBRD Base), MS SW FFB2, Thrustmaster TFRP, TrackIR 5 & TrackClip Pro
[Checklists] A-10C, F-16C, F/A-18C, AH-64D, Ka-50, UH-1H

13 hours ago, Flappie said:

But I see you've tried this already...

Exactly.

The issue is to 100 % reproduceable for me, independent of the used aircraft. Here's another example using the Hornet. Compared to the previous samples I've changed the cloud settings now from standard to high.

Edit: DXDiag attached

Edited by AstonMartinDBS

[Modules] A-10C, A-10C II, AH-64D, F-14A/B, F-16C, F/A-18C, FC3, Ka-50, P-51D, UH-1H, CA, SC

[OS] Windows 11 Pro
[PC] MSI Pro Z790-A, i9-13900K, 64 GB DDR5-5200, RTX 4090 24 GB GDDR6X, 2 x SSD 990 PRO 2 TB (M.2), Corsair 5000D Airflow, HX1500i, H150i RGB Elite, Acer X28, TM HOTAS Warthog (Grip@WarBRD Base), MS SW FFB2, Thrustmaster TFRP, TrackIR 5 & TrackClip Pro

I did some further testing. The bug doesn't occure, when I

• change the mission time from 05:13 to 15:13 or
  • remove the clouds (preset "NOTHING", density 0)

But the issue returns, when I set mission time back to 05:13 and

• select another cloud preset ("Broken 5" for example) or
  • change to the preset "NOTHING" and increase the cloud density (tested with base 8530 ft, thickness 5315 ft, density 6).

The graphics option "Cloud" doesn't seem to affect the issue. The bug appears with settings "LOW", "STANDARD", "HIGH" and "ULTRA".

Edited by AstonMartinDBS
  • Like 1

[OS] Windows 11 Pro

i had this same issue. the only change i made to a completely new computer and dcs install was disable xbox came bar. 

i believe that anything that acts as an overlay to graphics could cause these sorts of glitches. gforce experience in my case has been suspect too.

• Thanks 1

AKA_SilverDevil AKA Forums My YouTube

“It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.” — Mark Twain

1 hour ago, silverdevil said:

disable xbox came bar. 

Disabling the XBox Game Bar did not eliminate the issue unfortunately.

gforce experience in my case has been suspect too.

GeForce experience was never installed on my system.

But thanks for your hints! 👍

[OS] Windows 11 Pro

i had this same issue. the only change i made to a completely new computer and dcs install was disable xbox came bar. 

i believe that anything that acts as an overlay to graphics could cause these sorts of glitches. gforce experience in my case has been suspect too.

I always have Xbox game bar disabled, also I don’t install any overlays. 

Had the same type issue when the super carrier was released.  Especially when looking at the island.  Can’t remember what I did to resolve it but try searching same issue but add super carrier 

good luck!

I9 (5Ghz turbo)2080ti 64Gb 3200 ram. 3 drives. A sata 2tb storage and 2 M.2 drives. 1 is 1tb, 1 is 500gb.

Valve Index, Virpil t50 cm2 stick, t50 base and v3 throttle w mini stick. MFG crosswind pedals.

I continued testing but didn't manage to find the source of the problem. What I tried so far (summary):

• Repair/Integrity check of my DCS installation (Steam)
  • Updated to the latest nVidia drivers 466.27
  • deleted the directories "fxo" and "metashaders2"
  • disabled the XBox Gamebar
  • disabled Steam overlay
  • DCS: different cloud presets for mission
  • DCS: clouds low/standard/high/ultra
  • DCS: civilian traffic low/off
  • DCS: anisotropic filtering 16x/off
  • DCS: terrain object shadows: default/off
  • nVidia control panel: all settings to default (usually I only change vSync to "fast" via nVidia control panel to eliminate stuttering on the ground)

Remark: My default settings are marked bold. I didn't have any video issues pre 2.7 with those settings.

11 minutes ago, silverdevil said:

what mechanism do you use to record video?

I used the XBox Gamebar, which automatically downsized the resolution from 4k to FullHD. I didn't find any option to change this setting in the XBox Gamebar.

Can you recommend a 3rd parity video recording software?

Edited by AstonMartinDBS

[OS] Windows 11 Pro

@AstonMartinDBS - sort of good news. i took your mission and flew F18. i started to move my head around and the block boxes were present. seemed only when i was looking east. then when i changed course to go east the boxes no longer showed. i am uploading video. then i edited your mission to add one hour of time and no boxes. my xbox bar is disabled and i use gforce experience. so it appears to have something to do with time? but also could be something to do with angle? or the second mission removes the artefact? too bad if it was something to do with time because the view is awesome! we can have faith that it will be fixed. after all we all were complaining about the smoke messing with targeting pods. it was fixed.

• Thanks 1

“It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.” — Mark Twain

i started to move my head around and the block boxes were present. seemed only when i was looking east. then when i changed course to go east the boxes no longer showed.

I think the issue occurs, if you look in the direction of the sun, and that in a certain angle. In my mission setup this angle is reached around 05:15 (+/- a few minutes) at an altitude of 25k+ ft.

The track F-16C GraphicsIssue9.trk shows, that it is not mandatory to look to the right out of the cockpit. The F-16C is heading to 090, I'm looking straight ahead and the bug occurs as well.

I don't know, if other maps are also affected.

Edited by AstonMartinDBS

[OS] Windows 11 Pro

1 hour ago, AstonMartinDBS said:

I think the issue occurs, if you look in the direction of the sun, and that in a certain angle. In my mission setup this angle is reached around 05:15 (+/- a few minutes) at an altitude of 25k+ ft.

The track F-16C GraphicsIssue9.trk shows, that it is not mandatory to look to the right out of the cockpit. The F-16C is heading to 090, I'm looking straight ahead and the bug occurs as well.

I don't know, if other maps are also affected.

when i first saw the anomaly i was on syria map. i do not exactly remember but i seem to think i was checking out the sunrise or sunset with the new clouds. so towards the sun as you pointed out.

• Like 1

FYI - this also happens in VR.

Spoiler

Ryzen 9 5900X | 64GB G.Skill TridentZ 3600 | Gigabyte RX6900XT | ASUS ROG Strix X570-E GAMING | Samsung 990Pro 2TB + 960Pro 1TB NMVe | HP Reverb G2
Pro Flight Trainer Puma | VIRPIL MT-50CM2+3 base / CM2 x2 grip with 200 mm S-curve extension + CM3 throttle + CP2/3 + FSSB R3L + VPC Rotor TCS Plus base with SharKa-50 grip mounted on Monstertech MFC-1 | TPR rudder pedals

OpenXR | PD 1.0 | 100% render resolution | DCS "HIGH" preset

I also have just encountered this issue! I do believe it is to do with the lighting and cloud settings. Unfortunately it looks like it hasn't been fixed in the recent patch:

RTX 3080, 5600x, 32GB RAM, 1 TB SSD, Track IR 5

• Like 1

It could be a multitude of things. Lighting, Clouds, Glare or Canopy cockpit reflections.

My Hangar:

F16C | FA18C | AH64D | F14A/B | M2000C | AV8B | A10C/ii | KA50/iii | UH1H | Gazelle | FC3 | CA | Supercarrier

My Spec:

Obsidian750D Airflow | Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K | 32GB DDR4 Vengeance @3600 | RTX3080 12GB OC | ZXR PCIe | WD Black 2TB SSD | Log X56 | Log G502 | TrackIR | 1 badass mutha

I just wanted to add that I am seeing the same Big Black Box over most of the screen and never noticed it before until today. I just started flying 2.7 at night using the F/A-18 off the Supper Carrier and notice the big black box while climbing out from the carrier. It was a night mission (5:30AM) and I think the box came and went about three times during the mission. I trying to figure out if it has something to do with flying at night and what forced it to go away. I think I hit the F-10 Map and then came back.

RTX 2080, Ryzen 3970X Threadripper, 128 GP RAM, Track IR 5

Edited by Checkmate
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Issue still there on latest open beta despite being reported as fixed in patch notes

:Ryzen 5800X | RTX3090 | 32Gb RAM | Nvme SSD Gen.4 | Reverb G2 | Virpil WarBrd Base | Constellation Alpha Grip / Virpil CM3 Throttle

7 minutes ago, fylzz said:

Issue still there on latest open beta despite being reported as fixed in patch notes

I cannot reproduce the bug anymore in AstonMartinDBS's track. If you're still able to reproduce it, please provide a track.

Don't accept indie game testing requests from friends in Discord. Ever.

Black artifacts(not as big as the video shows) but maybe the size of match books ,show up on the cockpit in multiple aircraft...but they appear and disappear so fast i can't get a screenshot and it seems random

Edited by Raven434th

MODUALS OWNED       AH-64D APACHE, Ka-50, UH-1H, Mi-8MTV2, Mi-24,Gazelle, FC3, A-10C, A-10CII, Mirage 2000C, F-14 TOMCAT, F/A-18C HORNET, F-16C VIPER, AV-8B/NA, F-15 E, F-4 Phantom, MiG-21Bis, L-39, F-5E, AJS 37 Viggen, MiG-19, F-86, MiG-15Bis, Spitfire IX, Bf-109K, Fw-190D, P-51D, CA, SYRIA, NEVADA, NORMANDY, PERSIAN GULF, MARIANA ISLANDS,SUPER CARRIER, WORLD WAR II ASSETS PACK, HAWK T1

SYSTEM SPECS            AMD  7600X 4.7 Ghz CPU , MSI RX 6750 12 gig GPU ,32 gig ram on Win11 64bit.