Fps tank when changing aircraft or server

hazzer

Hi all, 

I keep having an issue that occurs after switching aircraft or mp server. The framerate drops very low to a rediculous stutter. It occurs when changing aircraft, opening menus after some time has passed playing the game. It has gone on for a few months now. 

The odd thing is that if I click off dcs, open task manager or display advance frame times in steam vr the issue sometimes goes away. Anyone had anything like this?

Seems like there is a memory leak or cpu issue, very annoying. 

RTX 2080ti, I7 9700k, 32gb ram, SSD, Samsung Odyssey VR, MSFFB2, T-50 Throttle, Thrustmaster Rudder Pedals

• ED Team

please include your dcs log and system spec, and if you use HDD or SSD. Also the size of your pagefile and how much space you have left on your disk. 

A track replay as an example would also help, we can compare on our systems 

thanks

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

On 5/1/2021 at 3:15 PM, BIGNEWY said:

please include your dcs log and system spec, and if you use HDD or SSD. Also the size of your pagefile and how much space you have left on your disk. 

A track replay as an example would also help, we can compare on our systems 

thanks

Apologies in the delay replying,

DCS log and Track attached

System Specs;

RTX2080ti

Intel Core i7 9700K

32gb Ram

ROG STRIX Z390-E GAMING

DCS saved on SSD

Pagefile

image.png

dcs.logimage.png

• Thanks 1

RTX 2080ti, I7 9700k, 32gb ram, SSD, Samsung Odyssey VR, MSFFB2, T-50 Throttle, Thrustmaster Rudder Pedals

• 2 weeks later...
En 1/5/2021 a las 16:07, hazzer dijo:

Hola todos, 

Sigo  teniendo un problema que ocurre después de cambiar de avión o servidor mp. La velocidad de fotogramas cae muy baja a un tartamudeo ridículo. Ocurre al cambiar de avión, abriendo menús después de que haya pasado algún tiempo jugando al juego. Ha durado unos meses. 

Lo extraño es que si hago clic en dcs, abro el administrador de tareas o  muestro los tiempos de fotogramas avanzados en steam vr, el problema a veces desaparece. ¿Alguien ha tenido algo como esto?

Parece que hay una fuga de memoria o un problema de CPU, muy molesto. 

I had a similar problem with G1 and G2, if I forced reprojection to always on (montion vector). Changing it to AUTO and the problem has disappeared. 

I recommend keeping the reprojection options (or motion vector) in AUTO, in WMR for steam VR or in Steam VR, depending on where I activate it

Edited by Werewolf_fs

On 5/18/2021 at 9:05 AM, Werewolf_fs said:

I had a similar problem with G1 and G2, if I forced reprojection to always on (montion vector). Changing it to AUTO and the problem has disappeared. 

I recommend keeping the reprojection options (or motion vector) in AUTO, in WMR for steam VR or in Steam VR, depending on where I activate it

interesting... 

I have never actually use reprojection in steam or wmr. I disabled it as it gave a similar effect thinking back (however not as severe). 

On 5/1/2021 at 3:07 PM, hazzer said:

Hi all, 

I keep having an issue that occurs after switching aircraft or mp server. The framerate drops very low to a rediculous stutter. It occurs when changing aircraft, opening menus after some time has passed playing the game. It has gone on for a few months now. 

The odd thing is that if I click off dcs, open task manager or display advance frame times in steam vr the issue sometimes goes away. Anyone had anything like this?

Seems like there is a memory leak or cpu issue, very annoying. 

All the time, every single day..... 80% changing planes 90% changing servers - always MP SP not so much
Running a HP G2 via

i90100k W/C

64gb

ROG MAXIMUS HERO

2800TI

WIND 1O PRO ON M2 WITH 560GB SPARE

PAGESYS AUTO

Only sure fix is close DCS close WMR close STEAMVR and restart... Terrible pain..

Most settings are high and FPS 40-60 then on model change FPS drops 10-15 and un-useable. 

No idea whether it is DCS or Steam or Windows..

Edited by Gizzy
  • Like 1

SIGBLOCK.png

Same issues here, most of the time in intensive multiplayer sessions like blue flag where there are tons of script and you see the constant flashing 

on the VR opening the slot screen or the rearm and refuel pop up. 

Prior the  update on of this week it was working perfectly without any issues. 

I can recreate the problem in intensive planes like the F14A really consistently. In Single player If I jump from plane to plane in the end I end up with a slide show even in the 

menu screen. 

Running a HP G2 via

3700X

32gb

ASUS x570 TUF 

2080TI

WINDOWS 1O PRO 2 M2 and SATA SSD in the M2 for the OS I got 500GB

Page file is Automatic 

I put the crash logs and also latest logs. 

Let me know if more information is needed. 

dcs.20210528-224941.zip

Edited by NaCH

Another crash today, sent the dump via the application and here is the Log 

Running a HP G2 via

3700X

32gb

ASUS x570 TUF 

2080TI

WINDOWS 1O PRO 2 M2 and SATA SSD in the M2 for the OS I got 500GB

Page file is Automatic 

dcs.log

On 5/22/2021 at 1:02 AM, Gizzy said:

All the time, every single day..... 80% changing planes 90% changing servers - always MP SP not so much
Running a HP G2 via

i90100k W/C

64gb

ROG MAXIMUS HERO

2800TI

WIND 1O PRO ON M2 WITH 560GB SPARE

PAGESYS AUTO

Only sure fix is close DCS close WMR close STEAMVR and restart... Terrible pain..

Most settings are high and FPS 40-60 then on model change FPS drops 10-15 and un-useable. 

No idea whether it is DCS or Steam or Windows..

Glad to see it isn't just me having this issue. Yeah that's the only solution I have found to stop it 😞 just to test I set my page file stupidly high and no difference. Seems like a memory leak associated with vr

Edited by hazzer

Fairly certain that this is a symptom of vram memory exhaustion and the inability of DCS to stream in assets without killing the cpu. Being single threaded, the IO operation consumes most of the cpu available for draw calls. Eventually it should settle down and return to normal but this can take several minutes.

Maybe this limitation will go away when they move over to vulkan.

On 6/12/2021 at 5:30 PM, FoxTwo said:

Fairly certain that this is a symptom of vram memory exhaustion and the inability of DCS to stream in assets without killing the cpu. Being single threaded, the IO operation consumes most of the cpu available for draw calls. Eventually it should settle down and return to normal but this can take several minutes.

Maybe this limitation will go away when they move over to vulkan.

Could be, but whatever it is started in the last patch. The first 2.7 version it was awesome with no issues at all other than eclectic clouds. 

The F14 is really the trigger, specially the A that is the one that I fly the most.  

You guys problems sounds a lot like the issues im having on MP servers.

Im also suffering from big fps drops wich locks it at arround 18/20 fps with massive stutters/lag and screentearing out of nowhere.

Closing the game even makes the oculus home screen (Rift S) having the same problems untill i restart it.

Yesterday though i waited and after a few minutes it gained back its fps to a stable 40.

• Like 2

MSI MPG B550 Gaming Plus - Ryzen 5 5600x - RTX3070 - 32GB Ram - HP Reverb G2 - Warthog HOTAS - VKB rudder pedals

I still have the issue, in some situations Alt-TAB does help but most of the cases jumping in to the f14 is almost impossible. 

I need to stop SteamVR and WMR to recover the FPS. If not it becomes a FPS slideshows even in the menus.   

It has been mentioned a lot already, it's VRAM overflow. As soon as this happens, Windows tries to cache VRAM ressources to RAM (so called Shared Memory). From there your whole system goes into a crazy data shoveling loop (CPU, HD and RAM controller workload rises). If you are lucky, it takes some time to sort itself out. The other only thing you can do is lowering VRAM buffer usage (by turning down render resolution and texture quality for instance).

Edited by RealDCSpilot

i9 13900K @5.5GHz, Z790 Gigabyte Aorus Master, RTX4090 Waterforce, 64 GB DDR5 @5600, Pico 4, HOTAS & Rudder: all Virpil with Rhino FFB base made by VPforce, DCS: all modules

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Same Issue here still.

If I jump between A10C2 - F14B - F16C (or any sequence of them) I end up with vomit inducing lag. I just quit the server when I change planes now. It's quicker than waiting for it to sort itself out (which it used to do in previous versions after a couple of minutes).

CPU 9700K, GPU 3080, Reverb G2, RAM 32Gb 3200Mhz,  SSD Samsung 980Pro 1Tb (dedicated to DCS)

• 2 weeks later...