Hello everyone,

A little while ago when the apache got announced i got the idea of making a cockpit for it.

I started designing some panels to see how well i would do. I only started using fusion a month prior.

My goal is to get a fully functioning pilot station with all switches and buttons that are in the real thing.

Everything will be 3d printed and modeled by myself.

I do fly in VR so there will be no screens in my cockpit for now 😉.

I am posting this here because i thought some of you may like the idea and would be interested in how things would look.

So i will be posting picture here of my progress.

I have been working on it for a little while now. but the Cyclic grip and collective grip are giving me a headache.

not to mention the Tedac grips.

If there are more experienced people here who do 3d modeling and have some tips for me PLEASE do share them below!

Any tips in general are also very welcome!

Thank you,

emergency panel.PNG

KU.PNG

power panel.PNG

IMG_3736.JPEG

IMG_3737.JPEG

• Like 11

Looks really good!👍

I'm trying to do the cyclic and the collective for the AH-64D, but as you mentioned it's really a very complex HOTAS to make. I hope I can make it "realistic" enough, but I'm no 3D modeler and I'm also mostly using photos as a template for it. For me it's ok cause I'm only doing all the HOTAS for my favorite modules using them in a kind of "universal" cockpit. I'm not building an exact replica of one bird, where all details have to be like in the original thing.

If it's close enough and useable, I'm ok with it.

• Like 1

CockpitPC1: R9 5950X|64GB DDR4|512GB M2SSD|2TB M2SSD|RTX3090|ReverbG2|Win11Pro - PC2: PhnIIX6 1100T|32GB DDR2|2x2TB HDD|2x GTX660 SLI|Win7Pro64
ComUnitPC1: R9 3900XT|32GB DDR4|2x2TB HDD|RTX2070|Win11Pro - PC2: PhnIIX6 1100T|16GB DDR2|2x2TB HDD|GTX660|Win7Pro64
ComUnitPC3: AthlnIIX2 250|2GB DDR2|2TB HDD|5950Ultra|2xVoodooII SLI|WinXPPro32&WinME - PC4: K6-2+|768MB SDR|640GB HDD|Geforce256DDR|VoodooI|Win98SE

DCS - Modules - 1.jpg

DCS - Modules - 2.jpg

6 hours ago, Viper1970 said:

I'm trying to do the cyclic and the collective for the AH-64D, but as you mentioned it's really a very complex HOTAS to make. 

If you do get to a state where you feel oke with sharing some pics please do!

Il do the same!

3 hours ago, Zboboinator said:

If you want i have this picture for the collective of the apache AH64, if this can help you to create the stl RedskinMike of Viper1970

Colelctive-AH64.jpeg

Yea thanks i dont think i had that one yet.

Am doing alot from pictures of the cyclic and collective.

But i am a mechanic on the ah-64D so i do get to have some closer looks and get some better measurements.

10 hours ago, Fusedspine33 said:

Great start! Hope you will consider sharing your .stl files. I am hopeful Virpil will add an Apache head for their upcoming collective release.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I might consider it at the end when im fully done. But not sure might depend if alot of people would want something like that.

having virpil make a collective for apache would make things easier.

22 hours ago, RedskinMike said:

If you do get to a state where you feel oke with sharing some pics please do!

Il do the same!

I already have some pics posted here in the thread. At the moment I'm working on my "command unit" a seperate pit from the VR-pit, which is meant for retro simulations, other simulations like tank sims, naval sims and so on (it has four different PC's to be compatible with all this different categories).

It also should be the place where I will do all the 3D work for 3D printing if it's finished, cause my HTPC in the living room is slowly reaching it's limits. It should be my workstation to do all the constructions and also some testing for the real pit. So at the moment not much is happening, regarding the HOTAS for the VR pit. I hope I can finish the command unit till the end of this month or at least until mid of July, so I can start to do all the HOTAS for the "real" thing 😄.

If this happens and I have results to share, I will do so of course.

• Like 2

CockpitPC1: R9 5950X|64GB DDR4|512GB M2SSD|2TB M2SSD|RTX3090|ReverbG2|Win11Pro - PC2: PhnIIX6 1100T|32GB DDR2|2x2TB HDD|2x GTX660 SLI|Win7Pro64
ComUnitPC1: R9 3900XT|32GB DDR4|2x2TB HDD|RTX2070|Win11Pro - PC2: PhnIIX6 1100T|16GB DDR2|2x2TB HDD|GTX660|Win7Pro64
ComUnitPC3: AthlnIIX2 250|2GB DDR2|2TB HDD|5950Ultra|2xVoodooII SLI|WinXPPro32&WinME - PC4: K6-2+|768MB SDR|640GB HDD|Geforce256DDR|VoodooI|Win98SE

DCS - Modules - 1.jpg

DCS - Modules - 2.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/2/2021 at 12:55 AM, RedskinMike said:

Hello everyone,

A little while ago when the apache got announced i got the idea of making a cockpit for it.

I started designing some panels to see how well i would do. I only started using fusion a month prior.

My goal is to get a fully functioning pilot station with all switches and buttons that are in the real thing.

I am posting this here because i thought some of you may like the idea and would be interested in how things would look.

I have been working on it for a little while now. but the Cyclic grip and collective grip are giving me a headache.

If there are more experienced people here who do 3d modeling and have some tips for me PLEASE do share them below!

Thank you,

emergency panel.PNG

KU.PNG

power panel.PNG

IMG_3736.JPEG

IMG_3737.JPEG

this is AWESOME....

can we get updates please...🙏

I might consider it at the end when im fully done. But not sure might depend if alot of people would want something like that.

having virpil make a collective for apache would make things easier.

Komodo looks like they are preparing one for sale.
https://komodosimulations.co.uk/collections/collective/products/ah-64d-apache-collective

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hello again,

I noticed my post has been moved to a different section on the forums, my appologies moderators for posting in the wrong section.

I do have some more images of some of the panels.
what i have finished at the moment is:

- Keyboard Unit

- Power panel

- Tail wheel lock / nvs mode panel

- emergency panel

- jettison panel (just need to find the right switch with good tactile feedback for the jettison button itself to make a hole for it)

- Lighting panel

- UFD

- Fire detection panel

- Comms Panel

Currently i am working on the Multi Purpose Displays, here im running in the same issue i had on the keyboard unit.

I am trying to figure out a different way of mounting the buttons.

The keyboard unit has a backplate which holds the tactile switches in place. This was quite some work with printing due to my printer not printing the exact dimensions i put in. So thats still a work in progress but its getting there.

my work on the controls (cyclic, collective and Tedac grips) has stalled a bit. due to me lacking in the skill to get where i want it to go.
I am not giving up on them just giving my self a little brake so i dont get frustrated with it not going the way i want.

Panels which i am still going to design are:

- Gen reset/check overspeed panel

- Windshield wiper/defog panel

- Master caution/Master warning buttons

- Armament Arm/Safe and Ground override panel

- Video panel ( for Ihadss brightness and flir brightness.

- TEDAC screen with buttons (i know this is not a panel and it wont be for myself)

I want to create a module that has the tedac screen and grips attached so you could be a proper Co-Pilot Gunner.

Our aircraft here in the Netherlands have EW panels like the A-10 but this is a modo and the aircraft shouldnt have this in DCS so im not making that.

thats the story now here are some more pictures 😄

image.pngimage.pngimage.pngimage.png

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
On 5/2/2021 at 12:55 AM, RedskinMike said:

Hello everyone,

Thank you,

emergency panel.PNG

KU.PNG

power panel.PNG

IMG_3736.JPEG

IMG_3737.JPEG

Great project @RedskinMike:thumbup:

Although I am wondering; you say you fly in VR (which, as a big fan of VR DCS, I totally understand!)

Perhaps I'm missing something here, but have you considered that it'll be very hard (probably impossible) to have all your 3D printed panels exactly align with the image you'll see in VR?

How will you be able to know if your hand is touching the correct switch/button?

For some specially shaped switches you might be able to get sufficient haptic feedback to know you're touching the right one, but I'd expect that this will be problematic for for instance the mission control keyboard:
KU.PNG

System specs:

i7-8700K @stock speed - GTX 1080TI @ stock speed - AsRock Extreme4 Z370 - 32GB DDR4 @3GHz- 500GB SSD - 2TB nvme - 650W PSU

HP Reverb G1 v2 - Saitek Pro pedals - TM Warthog HOTAS - TM F/A-18 Grip - TM Cougar HOTAS (NN-Dan mod) & (throttle standalone mod) - VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Plus with ALPHA-L grip - Pointctrl & aux banks <-- must have for VR users!! - Andre's SimShaker Jetpad - Fully adjustable DIY playseat - VA+VAICOM

~ That nuke might not have been the best of ideas, Sir... the enemy is furious ~ GUMMBAH

17 hours ago, Hajime said:

It looks really nice.

Which Buttons do you use for the "emergency panel"?

I ordered standard buttons online. Most of them come from aliexpress

35 minutes ago, sirrah said:

Great project @RedskinMike:thumbup:

Although I am wondering; you say you fly in VR (which, as a big fan of VR DCS, I totally understand!)

Perhaps I'm missing something here, but have you considered that it'll be very hard (probably impossible) to have all your 3D printed panels exactly align with the image you'll see in VR?

How will you be able to know if your hand is touching the correct switch/button?

For some specially shaped switches you might be able to get sufficient haptic feedback to know you're touching the right one, but I'd expect that this will be problematic for for instance the mission control keyboard:
KU.PNG

It will be hard! But im going to see if it works! Il print some buttons with somthing extra on it so i can feel where my fingers are on the KU same as on your keyboard there are extra bits so you know the position of your hand on your keyboard.

i can type while not looking at my keyboard so i must be able to learn this aswell

28 minutes ago, RedskinMike said:

It will be hard! But im going to see if it works! Il print some buttons with somthing extra on it so i can feel where my fingers are on the KU same as on your keyboard there are extra bits so you know the position of your hand on your keyboard.

i can type while not looking at my keyboard so i must be able to learn this aswell

Although I definitely don't want to discourage you, I really doubt that it'll get you the result that you're hoping for. Sure, you'll probably be able to at some point learn to blindfolded use the above keypad, but the main question is; will it feel good in VR and will you be able to quickly and easily find the entire keypad (and all the other panels and switches for that matter)?

I mean, I'm using VR for years now and I still often struggle to find my keyboard right in front of me. (more than once did I screw up my mission by extending my landing gear in mid flight, while trying to find my keyboard :doh:)

Again, I don't want to discourage you, I merely want to help you avoid putting tons of hours in creating something beautiful that might not work like you wanted to.

Have you also considered Pointctrl? (link in my signature)

Just an idea, but you could perhaps also 3D print all cockpit panels and create the entire Apache cockpit, but without actual functioning buttons and switches. With Pointctrl, you could then just point your finger in VR to the desired panel/switch, you'll get some sort of haptic feedback when your finger touches the actual 3D printed panel and then you use Pointctrl to actually manipulate switches and buttons.  

I know that @Andrew u.k. did something kinda similar here, which he was really exited about

System specs:

i7-8700K @stock speed - GTX 1080TI @ stock speed - AsRock Extreme4 Z370 - 32GB DDR4 @3GHz- 500GB SSD - 2TB nvme - 650W PSU

HP Reverb G1 v2 - Saitek Pro pedals - TM Warthog HOTAS - TM F/A-18 Grip - TM Cougar HOTAS (NN-Dan mod) & (throttle standalone mod) - VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Plus with ALPHA-L grip - Pointctrl & aux banks <-- must have for VR users!! - Andre's SimShaker Jetpad - Fully adjustable DIY playseat - VA+VAICOM

~ That nuke might not have been the best of ideas, Sir... the enemy is furious ~ GUMMBAH

41 minutes ago, sirrah said:

Although I definitely don't want to discourage you, I really doubt that it'll get you the result that you're hoping for. Sure, you'll probably be able to at some point learn to blindfolded use the above keypad, but the main question is; will it feel good in VR and will you be able to quickly and easily find the entire keypad (and all the other panels and switches for that matter)?

I mean, I'm using VR for years now and I still often struggle to find my keyboard right in front of me. (more than once did I screw up my mission by extending my landing gear in mid flight, while trying to find my keyboard :doh:)

Again, I don't want to discourage you, I merely want to help you avoid putting tons of hours in creating something beautiful that might not work like you wanted to.

Have you also considered Pointctrl? (link in my signature)

Just an idea, but you could perhaps also 3D print all cockpit panels and create the entire Apache cockpit, but without actual functioning buttons and switches. With Pointctrl, you could then just point your finger in VR to the desired panel/switch, you'll get some sort of haptic feedback when your finger touches the actual 3D printed panel and then you use Pointctrl to actually manipulate switches and buttons.  

I know that @Andrew u.k. did something kinda similar here, which he was really exited about

Yea, we will see. If i really struggle with it i might use screens to fly with it.

but warthogproject also flies in vr sometimes with his simpit!

so my guess is it is possible. However you fly the aircraft trough the mpd’s the most. Sure you use the KU but my guess is you use it the most in your preflight procedures.

which i am not sure about since im not a pilot just a mechanic on the machine

but thank you for your comments im going to try to prove you wrong 😜

• Like 1

Great work.. Looking forward to seeing the final result.  Don't get too discouraged with all the  "why do all this for VR" crowd.  I did something very similar for the hornet (a couple of threads in this forum) and its doesn't take long for your brain to develop the muscle memory to be able to reach out and find the controls even if they aren't exactly in the right spot.  I'd recommend using the fuzzy side of velcro or cabinet door bumper pads on certain buttons so you know where you are at.  I use them on the middle OSB on the Hornet MFDs and it makes it really easy to quickly feel for the one you need

https://www.amazon.com/Cabinet-Bumpers-Dampening-Drawers-Picture/dp/B0826JPLPP/ref=sr_1_6?dchild=1&keywords=bumper+pads+small&qid=1632540378&sr=8-6.

I bet you could do something similar with the keypad and it won't take you long to be pretty quick with it

2 hours ago, Jself said:

Great work.. Looking forward to seeing the final result.  Don't get too discouraged with all the  "why do all this for VR" crowd.  I did something very similar for the hornet (a couple of threads in this forum) and its doesn't take long for your brain to develop the muscle memory to be able to reach out and find the controls even if they aren't exactly in the right spot.  I'd recommend using the fuzzy side of velcro or cabinet door bumper pads on certain buttons so you know where you are at.  I use them on the middle OSB on the Hornet MFDs and it makes it really easy to quickly feel for the one you need

https://www.amazon.com/Cabinet-Bumpers-Dampening-Drawers-Picture/dp/B0826JPLPP/ref=sr_1_6?dchild=1&keywords=bumper+pads+small&qid=1632540378&sr=8-6.

I bet you could do something similar with the keypad and it won't take you long to be pretty quick with it

Thank you for the reply! I am not getting discouraged it only wants me to succeed more. The tip for the bumpers is really nice thank you! I will take a look at that for sure.

but designing one button in fusion that way and print it with an extra notch or bump will also work i think but we will see.

however thank you for your helping out!

do you have a picture of your pit with the bumpers? Im wondering how it looks.

On 9/24/2021 at 10:52 AM, RedskinMike said:

Do you have a link? They look as they fit to be painted an engraved.

Your MFDs designs look very great. You said you consider to share your design files.  Hence I don't want to push you, would you be so nice to share at least the outline dimensions? I want to start building my own MFDs, but I did not find any dimensions for them yet.

Thanks in advance!

Hajime

9 hours ago, Jself said:

Don't get too discouraged with all the  "why do all this for VR" crowd. 

"Crowd"?

Quite a negative way to interpret my well meant feedback, isn't it?

As far as I can see I was the only one sharing these "concerns" and also, I never said he shouldn't just try... I'm sure @RedskinMike can prove me wrong.

System specs:

1 hour ago, Hajime said:

Do you have a link? They look as they fit to be painted an engraved.

Your MFDs designs look very great. You said you consider to share your design files.  Hence I don't want to push you, would you be so nice to share at least the outline dimensions? I want to start building my own MFDs, but I did not find any dimensions for them yet.

Thanks in advance!

Hajime

Hi there !

€ 0,57  5% Off | 16mm momentary and Self-locking  push button switch with LED lamp square button
https://a.aliexpress.com/_vmNq7I

this is the link for the square push buttons i use both the self locking and momentary buttons as for the cockpit you need both.

as for the dimensions of the mpd’s i cant give them right now, as im currently lying on a beach in Greece 😅  but i do have them at home.

51 minutes ago, sirrah said:

"Crowd"?

As far as I can see I was the only one sharing these "concerns" and also, I never said he shouldn't just try... I'm sure @RedskinMike can prove me wrong.

I appreciated the feedback so no worries 😉

14 hours ago, sirrah said:

"Crowd"?

I wasn't referring to you specifically. I did basically the exact same thing for an F-18 pit and you can go back through the forum posts and my youtube videos and there are quite a few comments along the lines of "why go to so much trouble for a VR pit...you can't see it"   

Also quite interesting that you're calling me out for being negative when your comment was " I really doubt that it'll get you the result that you're hoping for"

Edited by Jself

21 hours ago, RedskinMike said:

Thank you for the reply! I am not getting discouraged it only wants me to succeed more. The tip for the bumpers is really nice thank you! I will take a look at that for sure.

but designing one button in fusion that way and print it with an extra notch or bump will also work i think but we will see.

however thank you for your helping out!

do you have a picture of your pit with the bumpers? Im wondering how it looks.

image.png

image.png

• Like 1