Happy new year guys, I would like to build an Apache KU that would serve as a learning project for me (from designing a custom PCB for it to building it and all the fun stuff).

I got stuck with the very first step which is the dimensions of the KU and the button sizes. If any of you have a drawing that can be shared, it would be much appreciated.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/3/2022 at 2:20 PM, 132nd.Cutter said:

Happy new year guys, I would like to build an Apache KU that would serve as a learning project for me (from designing a custom PCB for it to building it and all the fun stuff).

I got stuck with the very first step which is the dimensions of the KU and the button sizes. If any of you have a drawing that can be shared, it would be much appreciated.

Hi welcome to the thread!

The dimensions i have are meassured by me and may be a little bit off. but il give them anyway as i dont have a actualy drawing with sizes.

KU: 152mm x 122 

square button 9x9 mm could be 10 but when measuring it did not really look like it was 10 mill.

what you could do is find a solid flat picture and then make sure that the outer dimensions are correct and then size everything else according to those measurements.

• Like 2

Hello everyone,

I am currently trying to create a simpitTM myself (it'll will be jank because 1. I'm a student and 2. I have no space at all). But I am running into the problem that I want to have a screen for the TEDAC and MFDs that is roughly the right size. I was wondering if anyone has found any screens that wont cost me and arm and a liver to buy.

8 hours ago, agrasyuk said:

I'd say build it around single screen . LCDs can be found very cheap used from craiglist or other listings

Yeah I thought about that as well. But the TEDAC extends. And I preferably would like to keep it kind of like the real aircraft. (I want to make a setup that covers both the P and CPG station.)

Also if I want to be extremely picky both MFDs seem to be slanted (I think this is the right word). They are not completely flat like most MFDs in jets. So that is why I am looking for smaller screens that are roughly the same size.

But it is a good solution of I cannot find anything in the end. If I do find anything I will post it here though.

11 hours ago, Spitty said:

Sounds like its 3/8" or .375" square.Being American it would all be in Imperial.

Yea i know it is imperial measurements but metric is much easier to work with. Everything on the aircraft is imperial except the 30 mm gun which uses the metric system so has other size bolts and nuts.

11 hours ago, Fuerte said:

Got my first MPD panel printed. I thought it would be huuge but had no clue how much exactly so.😄

Would you like to show it ? 

This is how far i am with the tedac grips!

7AD22A4C-052F-417D-A980-A4BD2187D24B.jpeg

7 hours ago, Tom_ said:

Also if I want to be extremely picky...

Well that's the thing, it is not possible to be on tight budget and extremely picky at the same time. You will need to compromise somewhere. 

As for the angle they indeed may be slanted IRL. But you need them to be usable and conform to your build. What kind of build are you planning to fit into your "no space at all" situation? 

4 hours ago, Fuerte said:

Once it will be finished - definitely yes. Raw 3d printed parts apart from each other are not so unique and worth sharing IMO) 

Waiting for pictures of the finished product as well . 

Anton.

My pit build thread .

Simple and cheap UFC project

On 1/19/2022 at 3:48 PM, agrasyuk said:

Well that's the thing, it is not possible to be on tight budget and extremely picky at the same time. You will need to compromise somewhere. 

I am aware yeah. So far I seem to have found a few options that won't break the bank too much. But until the buttons and 3D frame is done I won't do anything with screens.

On 1/19/2022 at 3:48 PM, agrasyuk said:

As for the angle they indeed may be slanted IRL. But you need them to be usable and conform to your build. What kind of build are you planning to fit into your "no space at all" situation? 

On 1/19/2022 at 11:13 AM, Fuerte said:

I am planning on setting them on my desk or selling them for material value to a friend of mine.

• 1 month later...
On 10/30/2021 at 12:05 AM, RedskinMike said:

Currently also working on the last couple of panels, 

most of the times goes towards the tedac grips. They are very hard to model though.

Having a hard time atleast. But they are getting there.

I have printed the power quadrant but they need some tweaking cause run in to some clearance issues cause i forgot to calculate in the thickness of the screws i was using.

Before i share anything i want to make sure its perfect.

I wont post files that are not done all the way.

might make a website where i will upload the files if i started building my pit.

not sure how i want to do it yet maybe post the progress on youtube

I've been so busy the last few months, and with the delay of the Apache, I only just now saw your response. I'll definitely be one to download your files should you share them. I'm probably only going to print a few and make a desktop version out of them with the MPDs and TEDAC. Maybe also the KU, but the rest will be done another way. My kids have taken the rest of my man cave area. 

So, as soon as you share the links, I'll be downloading and printing!

A-10C - FC3 - CA - L-39 - UH1 - P-51 - Hawk - BS2 - F-86 - Gazelle - F-5E - AV8B - F/A-18C

i5-4590 - GTX 1060 - Oculus CV1 - TM:Warthog

[sIGPIC]http://forums.eagle.ru/signaturepics/sigpic9979_1.gif[/sIGPIC]

• 1 month later...

I'm looking forward to more updates on this thread, and hopefully (as others have requested) the files being shared.  I have 3D printers, a small CO2 laser, and a large CNC router kit I've yet to assemble.  I hope to start on the Apache full simpit build reasonably soon.  Thanks for sharing your project @RedskinMike

PS- I've used F360 a bit, but my skills are laughable and even the little I had learned to fumble my way through has been forgotten over the past two years while I had absolutely no time for hobby stuff due to personal stuff.  

Edited by TripRodriguez

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Demo of my 6DOF Motion VR Sim:

2021/5/2 PM5点26分,Zboboinator说:

你好,

如果你想要我有这张 apache AH64 集体的照片,如果这可以帮助你创建 Viper1970 的 stl RedskinMike

集体-AH64.jpeg

Is there a clearer photo? thx

• 4 weeks later...

Does anyone have the dimensions of the pilot cockpit front panel?

apache_cockpit.png

F-14B, F-16, F-18C, A-10C, F-5E, F-86, FC3, BF-109, FW-190, P-51, Spitfire, UH-1,AJS-37 Viggen, MIG-15, MIG-19, MIG-21, AV-8B Harrier, P-47D

Persian Gulf, Caucuses, NTTR, Normandy, The Channel, Syria

Combined Arms, WWII Assets,Super Carrier

TM Warthog, Virpil VFX,BuddyFox UFC, Saitek Pro Flight quadrant & Switch Panel, Odyssey+ VR, Jet Pad w/ SSA, Voice Attack w/Viacom Pro

GeForce RTX2080TI OC, Intel Core i7-7700K 4.5Ghz, 64GB DDR4, Dedicated 1TB SSD

• 5 weeks later...
On 4/30/2022 at 9:52 AM, LASooner said:

Does anyone have the dimensions of the pilot cockpit front panel?

apache_cockpit.png

@RedskinMike may have. 

Also can you post the external measurements and cockpit width that be awesome. plan is to build a complete shell around it

• 2 weeks later...

nullwell another little update. still waiting on switches and pushbuttons that actualy work. i have ordered a fair few of switches and buttons but most of them were not to my liking and needed to find another one for it. i have found some good 4 way hat switches for the FOV and WAS switch. but now i am waiting for the pushbuttons that feel proper.

i am waiting with printing the grip until i get the switches so i dont have to reprint because the switch doesnt fit. I did make the 2 stage trigger which works and is also ready to be installed in the grip once i printed it. 

Then i ran into another problem. i printed the MPD front plate no problem. just barely fitting on the bed of my printer. now.... the backside of the MPD is just slightly larger which is an issue as it doesnt fit on the bed of my printer anymore. as it is a glass bed and it needs clamps to hold it down....

Luckily i have a friend who is willing to print the backplates for me. so as soon as i send the files to him i can test the MPD out aswell.

sorry for the late update and maybe slow progress.

image.png

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

@RedskinMike

Since you have access to the real deal any chance you could find out what the angle is between the pilots MPD? 

Unless I am mistaken it does not look like a simple flat panel in front of them. 

Thanks, 

Krupi 

Edited by Krupi

Windows 10 Pro | ASUS RANGER VIII | i5 6600K @ 4.6GHz| MSI RTX 2060 SUPER | 32GB RAM | Corsair H100i | Corsair Carbide 540 | HP Reverb G2 | MFG crosswind Pedals | Custom Spitfire Cockpit

Project IX Cockpit

• 4 weeks later...
On 5/2/2021 at 12:55 AM, RedskinMike said:

Hello everyone,

A little while ago when the apache got announced i got the idea of making a cockpit for it.

I started designing some panels to see how well i would do. I only started using fusion a month prior.

My goal is to get a fully functioning pilot station with all switches and buttons that are in the real thing.

Everything will be 3d printed and modeled by myself.

I do fly in VR so there will be no screens in my cockpit for now 😉.

I am posting this here because i thought some of you may like the idea and would be interested in how things would look.

So i will be posting picture here of my progress.

I have been working on it for a little while now. but the Cyclic grip and collective grip are giving me a headache.

not to mention the Tedac grips.

If there are more experienced people here who do 3d modeling and have some tips for me PLEASE do share them below!

Any tips in general are also very welcome!

Thank you,

emergency panel.PNG

KU.PNG

power panel.PNG

IMG_3736.JPEG

IMG_3737.JPEG

Are those goodies shared somewhere?

• Like 1

• 5 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Afternoon Guys,

Thought I would say hello as Ive switched to DCS and decided to build an AH64 simpit.  I love helicopters and until now Ive been flying in Xplane, but since the Apache came out in DCS Ive always wanted to do something with it.  Ive never actually really used DCS, so Im learning as I go along and eventually want to get pretty immersed in it and join a squadron and start flying in some campaigns.

I decided to take the build first then figure out everything else later.  To get immersed in the AH64 I wanted it to be as real as I could get in regards to cockpit layout, switch positions etc.  I find this is a lot easier than trying to fly something from just the keyboard and mouse.  I do have VR ( original Oculus ) but Ive found it to be lacking graphics wise so Ive decided to go with the old school cockpit.  

So, full disclosure - not my first simpit build.  I originally built a Bell 407 simpit, then built a CRJ simpit and now Im back full circle to helicopters....but excited about this one and learnt a few things along the way.  Ive based this simpit around my office desk and chair, Ill be able to just roll it in front of my desk as that is where my sim computer and monitors are.  I think this gives me more flexibility than doing a dedicated pit with a seat, computer and monitors attached.  If I decide to change my mind on that I can easily incorporate that if I need to.

So the pit is built out of MDF, Ive made my own panels as well ( based off the sizing of the PC Flights panels ).  I decided to copy their exact dimensions as if I decide to backlight everything later I can easily swap the panels out.  The main reason was cost ( obviously ) and switch hardware - unfortunately there are to many people making panels and such but you can never know what type of hardware they base their sizing around.  So easier to just make my own so it all fits together.

Ive taken a few design liberty's to fit the monitors and hardware Im using.  The MPD's are from Total controls, and this weekend Ill be building the KU housing to mount Total Controls KU unit ( which they confirmed is coming!).  Pedals are TM's and I will be getting the gas strut mod to eliminate the spring return to make them function more like a helicopter.  Cyclic is a Komodo Simulations EC135 that Ive had for a while and Im currently building my own collective.

About the Cyclic and Collective - Ive had a set of Komodo's controls for a long time, and my feelings on the products are mixed.  The cyclic is excellent and still going strong - the collective, well, not so much.  Like many people have reviewed, my collective at the time( Bell 407 ) was really poor in build quality.  It was mostly 3d printed, the throttle broke within weeks, the friction got loose and the buttons were simply crap.  And it actually snapped at the attachment point on the base, rendering it useless.  I threw it out.

So Im obviously put off by their products now and this is why I wont be purchasing the Apache set that they have now.  To expensive, and the quality to me is just not what it should be at that price point.  With that said, I do realize this is a niche market and his products are actually really nice looking and I commend the effort he has put into bringing helicopter hardware to the market.  We always take our own risks in purchasing "hobby" products.  But for now, I will be building my own collective based on the Winwing gemini collective base.  Ill post up pics and build updates as I go if people are interested in making their own in a similar fashion.

Maybe Winwing or Virpil might come out with an Apache collective, so we will see.  For me, as long as the it functions like a collective and has all the switches represented, that is good enough for now. The cyclic, while obviously being quite different from the AH64 cyclic, has all the buttons I need and is working well so no need to replace that right now.

The throttles are "hacked" saitek throttles with some 3d printed handles on them - I sacrificed a Saitek TQ throttle but its a very simple solution and works great.

So obviously its still in its raw stage right now, Im slowly getting to the finishing stage but thought I would finally share it to the group as Id like to keep in touch with likeminded AH64 builders to share build ideas etc.  If anyone wants to know anything about my simpit feel free to ask - Ill be posting up some more pics as I go along.

Jonathan.

Simpit 1.jpg

• Like 3

Hello,

Wow, looks very cool. Keep up the great work!👍👍👍

How did you get the dimensions of the cockpit panels?

Virpil teased first pictures of their Apache collective a few days ago. So chances are high they will release one.

Edited by corbu1

DCS MT 2.9.3.51704
Modules: UH-1H - SA342 - KA-50 BS3 - MI-24P - MI-8MTV2 - AH-64D - UH-60L(Mod) - A-10CII - F-16C - F/A-18C - Combined Arms
 - Supercarrier - FC3 - NTTR - Normandy2.0 - Persian Gulf - Syria - SA - Sinai — Waiting for: OH-58D - BO105 - CH-47F - AH-1G(Mod) - OH-6(Mod) - Kola  - Australia - Afghanistan - Iraq

DCS-Client: 10900K, 64GB 3600, RTX3090, 500GB M2 NVMe(win10), 2TB M2 NVMe(DCS), VR VivePro2, PointCTRL, VaicomPro, Wacom Intuos S with VRK v2Beta

DCS-DServer: 11600KF, 32GB 3600, GTX1080, 1TB M2 NVMe(win10), 2TB M2 NVMe(DCSDServer)

Simpit: NLR Flightsim Pro, TM Warthog(40cm Ext., Dampers) + Throttle, Komodo Pedals with Dampers, VPC Rotorplus+CBkit+AH-64D Grip, NLR HF8, Buttkicker (3*MiniConcert), TotalControls AH64D MPD‘s, TM 2*MFD‘s, Streamdecks (1*32,3*15,1*6), VPC CP#1