NVG is broken in no-moon light night.

CoBlue

It was also mentioned in the patch notes as a Known Issue.

Spoiler

Ryzen 9 5900X | 64GB G.Skill TridentZ 3600 | Gigabyte RX6900XT | ASUS ROG Strix X570-E GAMING | Samsung 990Pro 2TB + 960Pro 1TB NMVe | HP Reverb G2
Pro Flight Trainer Puma | VIRPIL MT-50CM2+3 base / CM2 x2 grip with 200 mm S-curve extension + CM3 throttle + CP2/3 + FSSB R3L + VPC Rotor TCS Plus base with SharKa-50 grip mounted on Monstertech MFC-1 | TPR rudder pedals

OpenXR | PD 1.0 | 100% render resolution | DCS "HIGH" preset

• 1 month later...

The bug is still there, right? Just checking.

VR Flight Guy in PJ Pants -- this is how I fly. We do not fly at treetop height, we fly between trees(TM)

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCc9BDi-STaqgWsjNiHbW0fA

My simple missions: https://forum.dcs.world/topic/284071-vr-flight-guy-in-pj-pants-simple-missions/

NSRI - National Strategy Research Institution, a fictional organisation based on wordplay of Strategic Naval Research Institution (SNRI), a fictional institution appears in Mobile Suit Gundam UC timeline.

Can hardly wait for  DCS to restore NVG like how it was before DCS OB 2.7. 

I like to fly from Nellis to Creech, low level at night,  or from Nellis, over Hoover Dam and under the bridge and through the canyon and land at the Laughlin Airport, just can't do it now.

Hopefully DCS is giving high priority to fix functionality that used to work well.

5 hours ago, WS said:

I like to fly from Nellis to Creech, low level at night,  or from Nellis, over Hoover Dam and under the bridge and through the canyon and land at the Laughlin Airport, just can't do it now.

I believe you can do it under a full moon night.

Same here. I really hope the NVG will be tweaked a bit so we can at least see the trees.

Don't accept indie game testing requests from friends in Discord. Ever.

• 5 weeks later...

Glad I found this thread. I am having the same issue with the Mi8. In the Spring Tension Campaign I was ok at night in Mission 13. But Mission 16 with the NVGs on I couldnt see any terrain. I changed the date to the same as Mission 13 and now all is good. Guess it is a Moon light issue, but then the NVG should be able to see regardless. 

Screen_210713_144605.jpg

• 1 month later...

Yup, it is still very much there. Shame.

VR Flight Guy in PJ Pants -- this is how I fly. We do not fly at treetop height, we fly between trees(TM)

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCc9BDi-STaqgWsjNiHbW0fA

My simple missions: https://forum.dcs.world/topic/284071-vr-flight-guy-in-pj-pants-simple-missions/

NSRI - National Strategy Research Institution, a fictional organisation based on wordplay of Strategic Naval Research Institution (SNRI), a fictional institution appears in Mobile Suit Gundam UC timeline.

+1 to this bug. DCS Completely unusual at night at the moment. Very frustrating and quite surprised thats been no mention of this from ED. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

INTEL i9 9900k @ 5Ghz, Asus Z390 strix ROG, 32gb 3200mhz Ram, Nvidia GTX 1080Ti, Corsair RM850i, Corsair H110i,, HP REVERB, Win 10 64bit.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

On 6/8/2021 at 8:24 AM, Flappie said:

I believe you can do it under a full moon night.

Same here. I really hope the NVG will be tweaked a bit so we can at least see the trees.

Nope, just tried it a few days ago and Forests are still pitch black in low level (Helicopter) under the NVG on full moon, would be great if we can get some info about it. I will create a track from Helicopter perspective and attach it to my post.

@BIGNEWY 👆

Edited by MemphisBelle
added more information

DCS-Tutorial-Collection       

BlackSharkDen - Helicopter only

Specs:: ASrock Z790 Pro RS; Intel i5-13600K @5,1Ghz; 64GB DDR5 RAM; RTX 3080 @10GB; Corsair RMX Serie 750; 2x SSD 850 EVO 1x860 EVO 500GB 1x nvme M.2 970 EVO 1TB; 1x nvme M.2 980 Pro 2TB+ 3 TB HDD

Hardware: Oculus Rift S; HOTAS Warthog; Saitek Rudder Pedals, K-51 Collective

• 2 months later...

This is still present, and I'm sure ED are aware.  It would be good to get some acknowledgement that they have identified this as a problem.  Currently it seems the ONLY things that contribute to the ambient light, and thus the NVG capability, is the sun and moon.  All other light sources (cultural, searchlights, floodlights, etc) only have an effect in the visible area they illuminate, not in any way increasing the ambient lighting around them.  The quick fix would be to add another "always present" invisible ambient source of low intensity.  Even a point source in the centre of each major urban area and a source in the sky to simulate starlight would be a good start!  The more realistic long term fix I guess is to have variable ambient levels, but even the direct lighting has been broken since 2.5 so asking for dynamically calculated local ambient light levels seems a bit of a stretch!

Edited by Scaley
punct
  • Like 1

I can attest to this. Just compared last mission from UH-1 Argo and Worlds Apart campaigns (both night missions) in 2.5.6 and latest 2.7.8, the visual with and without NVG were both OK in 2.5.6, while the landscape (especially trees and terrain) was totally pitch black in 2.7.8, even with NVG on.

I think similar (Global illumination issue?) happened around DCS 1.5~2.0 era when I combed thru the forums earlier. I wonder how it was resolved then. Lighting in DCS 2.5.6 final release version was just about perfect (or what I used to as "normal").

But, having just read another thread, maybe ED is onto something big regarding night lighting? Something about "dynamic light" was mentioned and the picture shown:

Edited by R.Z.
  • Like 1

• ED Team

I have asked the team for an update on the moonless nights and NVG, if I find anything out I will update you all.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

Its something to do with doing a day mission before, if you restart the game and do the night mission first it will go back to normal, still, is pretty annoying, but a workaround for now at least ! Ive been playing since launch of 2.7 and its been present all along

13 hours ago, CH4Pz said:

Its something to do with doing a day mission before, if you restart the game and do the night mission first it will go back to normal, still, is pretty annoying, but a workaround for now at least ! Ive been playing since launch of 2.7 and its been present all along

Good suggestion! I remember previously this being a contributor, but the screenshot below is with Metashaders and FXO deleted and rebuilt, and no daylight mission flown prior to this:

NVG-10.png?raw=1

The issue is still there - full bright NVGs to the point of being blown out and the land is completely black and featureless, so it seems this workaround doesn't work for the current issue.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 12/1/2021 at 6:42 PM, BIGNEWY said:

I have asked the team for an update on the moonless nights and NVG, if I find anything out I will update you all.

Just to report back that this bug seems to be fixed by the latest OB update (2.7.9). After updating I checked it again with UH-1 Argo campaign final mission (night) and both normal and NVG visuals seemed fine now.

It was mentioned in the official changelog:

• NVG image very dark in moonless night - corrected.

ED team, thanks for the effort correcting the bug.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1