FAQ - How to climb with the AI

This is probably the most frequently asked question regarding the Wolfpack campaign: how can I keep up with the AI when they climb?

AI climb speeds are hard coded, and while it's not easy, it's not impossible either:

- anticipate the climb. react immediately.

- unlink the throttle, throttle maxed out, turbo to 52" of MP

- RPM: 2550

- cowl flaps closed

- manage your intercooler and oil cooler as needed (temps can get away easily!)

- center the ball, and trim your aircraft perfectly. This is crucial, otherwise you'll have more drag than the AI.

- Never slow down below 155 mph. That means you try to climb too steep, which is less than optimal. The AI will pull away.

- If you get too slow, it's VERY hard to accelerate again in a climb, and the AI will pull away.

Don't worry, you'll get the hang of it after 1-2 missions. Check out my playthrough video  of mission 9 to see how it works in practice:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

• 1 month later...
7 hours ago, ctguy1955 said:

I always run out of fuel.

will carrying extra tanks

help, or slow me down

because of more weight 

and drag ?

That's strange. Looks like you're not using the fuel in your externals at all, that's why you run out. After takeoff switch the fuel selector to the external tank(s) to make sure it works, and leave it there until they run dry or you meet the enemy. Then switch over to the main tank and drop the external(s). If you have 2 drop tanks, switch between them every 10 minutes to keep the aircraft balanced.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

(In case someone has similar fuel issue)

To reduce fuel consumption : check out the data on the kneeboard. There's the various engine settings for takeoff, emergency, max continuous and *economical maximum* . You can use those when cruising (back home in particular) 32" / 2250 rpm / AutoLean

I find myself switching to Auto Lean during cruise at altitude in formation, even if not quite at the max eco settings. I don't need it on the way in (drop tanks) but I guess/hope it can help on the way back. (Though haven't checked if it does actually help in practice).

Oh, and try to use full throttle before applying turbo to reach & maintain 32".

HTH,

Buzz

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Reflected whilst climb rates are set by ED - the actual speed of the flight is set by yourself and this is changable.

Recommendation, reduce flight speed, they are as it is maxed out requiring to fly well beyond normal engine limits to keep up either way and certainly not great for fuel.  I'm not quite sure why you have been so high with the speed, there is a solution, along with smaller waypoint's with fixed cruise limits.

Appreciate you are having to compensate for ED's stupid coding, but it wont be the first time or the last.

Your video referenced above absolutely highlights the issue, your sat at above emergency manifold pressrure boost (52) all through the set course section for over 10 minutes.  The maximum is 5 minutes and appreciate ED havent modelled engine damage accurately yet but i dont see why we should literally have to flog the engine to death.

Currently its not right and after playing mission 1 i have now stopped the campaign, dissapointed to be honest.

Please can you revisit this campaign and have more sensible speeds set to actually make it realistically flyable (within parameters).

Edit - i note its also an issue in some of your other campaigns on Normandy map from memory, been a whilst since i played them.

Edited by Hawkeye_UK

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

DCS & BMS

F14B | AV-8B | F15E | F18C | F16C | F5 | F86 | A10C | JF17 | Viggen |Mirage 2000 | F1 |  L-39 | C101 | Mig15 | Mig21 | Mig29 | SU27 | SU33 | F15C | AH64 | MI8 | Mi24 | Huey | KA50 | Gazelle | P47 | P51 | BF109 | FW190A/D | Spitfire | Mossie | CA | Persian Gulf | Nevada | Normandy | Channel | Syria | South Atlantic | Sinai 

Liquid Cooled ROG 690 13700K @ 5.9Ghz | RTX3090 FTW Ultra | 64GB DDR4 3600 MHz | 2x2TB SSD m2 Samsung 980/990 | Pimax Crystal/Reverb G2 | MFG Crosswinds | Virpil T50/CM3 | Winwing & Cougar MFD's | Buddyfox UFC | Winwing TOP & CP | Jetseat

PS - Sorry i know it sounds critical, dont be mistaken i love your content, amazing work, just needs a polish thats all and this is just hopefully constructive feedback.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

DCS & BMS

F14B | AV-8B | F15E | F18C | F16C | F5 | F86 | A10C | JF17 | Viggen |Mirage 2000 | F1 |  L-39 | C101 | Mig15 | Mig21 | Mig29 | SU27 | SU33 | F15C | AH64 | MI8 | Mi24 | Huey | KA50 | Gazelle | P47 | P51 | BF109 | FW190A/D | Spitfire | Mossie | CA | Persian Gulf | Nevada | Normandy | Channel | Syria | South Atlantic | Sinai 

Liquid Cooled ROG 690 13700K @ 5.9Ghz | RTX3090 FTW Ultra | 64GB DDR4 3600 MHz | 2x2TB SSD m2 Samsung 980/990 | Pimax Crystal/Reverb G2 | MFG Crosswinds | Virpil T50/CM3 | Winwing & Cougar MFD's | Buddyfox UFC | Winwing TOP & CP | Jetseat

Hi Hawkeye. The actual speed while climbing is also hard coded. When the flight cruises in level flight, speeds are set so that you can keep up with cruise settings (see my video). But keep in mind that the ai always uses max acceleration too, so you need to catch up first. That’s also hard coded. 

I’ve reported it several times over the years but no attention has been given by ED. Perhaps you can record a track and report it too in the AI section.  

PS: I also bumped my report to ED.

Edited by Reflected
  • Like 2

Thanks Reflected sorry been a busy week so late replying!

That is very interesting, i had no knowledge that the WW2 fighters had hard coded climb speeds, that is crazy and explains alot!  So if you set a waypoint and thus reducing flight speed to get to that point, they will ignore it and still climb at their set speed.  That also explains my point reference say blue nosed bodney.   ED really do need to work on this, along with some of the flight behavours when getting to a waypoint also (they can represent a flock of pigeons at times all going in different directions).

I will pick it up also and start banging the drum as this literally will affect every mission and explains why other WW2 content suffers.  If they want WW2 to grow this needs resolving and dev time.

I Personally have no issues with keeping up with the AI in the campaign (have carried on with it), i think alot of were people go wrong with this is poor rudder disapline/control and sideslipping and thus braking, i even know another player that was having issues and not removing the take off rudder trim lol (now that will limit your speed).  It just pains me to have to be on max boost or circa 52 when i know that in reality that is 5 minutes of use.  I want to be able to climb on 42 and keep up with the AI which is just not possible. 

We are meant to be playing a simulator (coughs) and well im sure the aircrew at the time being a single engine aircraft spent most of the time sweeping the temp and pressure gauges, they would have looked after them, no point maxing anything unless you need to as it was their only way home.  I'm also skeptical of the way/rate in which the cooling works on both the intercooler and oil in relation to some of the boost settings and altitude.

Thanks for the reply, and as i said great amazing content you provide for the community, look forward to your coming mosquito campain especially with the DF you've hinted at.  I've been having some great fun with that in the mossie of late especially when combined with ww2 sound files.  Great way of navigating whilst being entertained lol.

• Thanks 1

DCS & BMS

On 11/6/2021 at 5:40 PM, Hawkeye_UK said:

Thanks Reflected sorry been a busy week so late replying!

That is very interesting, i had no knowledge that the WW2 fighters had hard coded climb speeds, that is crazy and explains alot!  So if you set a waypoint and thus reducing flight speed to get to that point, they will ignore it and still climb at their set speed.  That also explains my point reference say blue nosed bodney.   ED really do need to work on this, along with some of the flight behavours when getting to a waypoint also (they can represent a flock of pigeons at times all going in different directions).

I will pick it up also and start banging the drum as this literally will affect every mission and explains why other WW2 content suffers.  If they want WW2 to grow this needs resolving and dev time.

I Personally have no issues with keeping up with the AI in the campaign (have carried on with it), i think alot of were people go wrong with this is poor rudder disapline/control and sideslipping and thus braking, i even know another player that was having issues and not removing the take off rudder trim lol (now that will limit your speed).  It just pains me to have to be on max boost or circa 52 when i know that in reality that is 5 minutes of use.  I want to be able to climb on 42 and keep up with the AI which is just not possible. 

We are meant to be playing a simulator (coughs) and well im sure the aircrew at the time being a single engine aircraft spent most of the time sweeping the temp and pressure gauges, they would have looked after them, no point maxing anything unless you need to as it was their only way home.  I'm also skeptical of the way/rate in which the cooling works on both the intercooler and oil in relation to some of the boost settings and altitude.

Thanks for the reply, and as i said great amazing content you provide for the community, look forward to your coming mosquito campain especially with the DF you've hinted at.  I've been having some great fun with that in the mossie of late especially when combined with ww2 sound files.  Great way of navigating whilst being entertained lol.

Well this explains why I couldnt keep up with the AI in the Blue Nose campaign.  Thanks. Will be starting this Wolfpack campaign soon after spending some quality time learning the jug. Have to learn to trim, trim, trim in the campaign.  

• Like 1

Hello Reflected you might make a mission free on that would help people with takeoff form up and climb fly around England.      Return for landing.    Nothing complex just 8 ship flight.     The training part of this game has none of this.

Edited by VIKBELL
add info.
  • Like 1

There are 2 categories of fighter pilots: those who have performed, and those who someday will perform, a magnificent defensive break turn toward a bug on the canopy. Robert Shaw