Oil goes from cool to maxed within seconds(radiator open and speed over 350mph in dive).

Snapage

I can see 61", but this is nothing close to make oil heat that fast.

@Nealius 62 63 even 67, wont make huge difference, for engine cooling wont affect oil temp that much, running engine at 67" won't heat up oil. 

I fly 61" 3000rpm for 20-30 min with no problem.

Right now it looks like there is some bug in cooling modeling, so now you can fly with oil cooler closed, temp will go above 100 with no adverse effect.

Check oil pressure it is super low, probably you hit 200C to get  oil pressure so low at 3000rpm 🙂

Edited by grafspee

System specs: I7 14700KF, Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Elite, 64GB DDR4 3600MHz, Gigabyte RTX 4090,Win 11, 48" OLED LG TV + 42" LG LED monitor

11 hours ago, grafspee said:

I can see 61", but this is nothing close to make oil heat that fast.

@Nealius 62 63 even 67, wont make huge difference, for engine cooling wont affect oil temp that much, running engine at 67" won't heat up oil. 

I fly 61" 3000rpm for 20-30 min with no problem.

Right now it looks like there is some bug in cooling modeling, so now you can fly with oil cooler closed, temp will go above 100 with no adverse effect.

Check oil pressure it is super low, probably you hit 200C to get  oil pressure so low at 3000rpm 🙂

What situations can cause oil to heat to 200C?

52 minutes ago, Nealius said:

What situations can cause oil to heat to 200C?

Modelling error ? 2.7 brought that issue, i saw couple post about weird oil temp behavior.

Edited by grafspee

System specs: I7 14700KF, Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Elite, 64GB DDR4 3600MHz, Gigabyte RTX 4090,Win 11, 48" OLED LG TV + 42" LG LED monitor

12 hours ago, grafspee said:

Modelling error ? 2.7 brought that issue, i saw couple post about weird oil temp behavior.

So manifold pressure cannot increase oil temp? Or is the bug related to manifold pressure increasing oil temp at too high a rate?

44 minutes ago, Nealius said:

So manifold pressure cannot increase oil temp? Or is the bug related to manifold pressure increasing oil temp at too high a rate?

Both higher MP or RPM are making engine produce more power, this mean higher oil and coolant heat, but cooling system will manage it no problem especially when plane doing 350 mph. 

But when i watched this recording again ,  i noticed that there something happened with engine, i can hear that rpm dropped for a second and go back to 3000 again then oil temp started to go up, maybe something happened to engine. I don't know how engine was operated, looks a little like master bearings failure in P-47, someone cut throttle in high speed dive ? combat damage ?

Edited by grafspee

Oil cooler flaps switch is locked in the open position. IDK, but isn't it normally an (On)-Off-(On) switch, the positions in parenthesis are temporary ei when you release the switch they fall back to the middle automatically.

The first we can see of the temp gages oil pressure is green and temp too. Then temp drops to a bit below green before starting to move quickly to gage-max. When the needle hits gage-max the oil pressure starts to drop rapidly and is at zero within about 10 seconds as if the oil pump had failed.

I have no idea what is simulated and I'm certainly no engine mechanic/engineer. If the oil pressure had dropped off first, I'd have said "of course, oil pump dead, engine soon to die", but the other way around...? I'd also expect if an oil line (like the return from the cooler) sudden became clogged that pressure would go way up, but see the caveat about all I don't know.

When you hit the wrong button on take-off

hwl7xqL.gif

System Specs.

Spoiler
System board: MSI X670E ACE Memory: 64GB DDR5-6000 G.Skill Ripjaw System disk: Crucial P5 M.2 2TB
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D PSU: Corsair HX1200 PSU Monitor: ASUS MG279Q, 27"
CPU cooling: Noctua NH-D15S Graphics card: MSI RTX 3090Ti SuprimX VR: Oculus Rift CV1

This is eerily similar to an engine failure I had once after takeoff, and have since been unable to reproduce. The oil temp/pressure symptoms were exactly the same as OP, but when it happened to me I was reducing MP from 52" to 46" and then reducing RPM from 3000 to 2700. As I was reducing RPM the my oil temp almost popped out of the gauge. 

Must be some kind of random bug here?

Make sure your RAM air and Carb Temp levers are actually full forward.  There is an issue that shows the levers forward when the system is actually not fully forward.   This can cause overheating issues.

Just hold whatever button that pushes each lever forward for a few seconds to ensure that the system is actually in the position that the levers indicate that it is in

seems to happen when you take it out of auto, and it gets stuck closed. 

and when I use the ram air open it seems to get stuck also.

Edited by 71st_Mastiff

" any failure you meet, is never a defeat; merely a set up for a greater come back, "  W Forbes

"Success is not final, failure is not fatal, it is the courage to continue that counts,"  Winston Churchill

" He who never changes his mind, never changes anything," 

MSI z690MPG DDR4 || i914900k|| ddr4-64gb PC3200 || MSI RTX 4070Ti|Game1300w|Win10x64| |turtle beach elite pro 5.1|| ViRpiL,T50cm2|| MFG Crosswinds|| VT50CM-plus rotor Throttle || G10 RGB EVGA Keyboard/MouseLogitech || PiMax Crystal VR || 32 Samsung||

You weren't operating the engine according to the safe limits specified in the manual. You should've had your radiators fully opened in MANUAL position, instead you had them both on AUTO. Your MP was higher than is should've been @ 2700 RPM or lower as you put wear and heat on the pistons. Simple as that.. The P-51 manual says to check your temps every 30 seconds..

Specs:

Asus Z97 PRO Gamer, i7 4790K@4.6GHz, 4x8GB Kingston @2400MHz 11-13-14-32, Titan X, Creative X-Fi, 128+2x250GB SSDs, VPC T50 Throttle + G940, MFG Crosswinds, TrackIR 5 w/ pro clip, JetSeat, Win10 Pro 64-bit, Oculus Rift, 27"@1920x1080

Settings:

2.1.x - Textures:High Terrain:High Civ.Traffic:Off Water:High VisRan:Low Heatblur:High Shadows:High Res:1920x1080 RoC:1024 MSAA:4x AF:16x HDR:OFF DefS: ON GCI: ON DoF:Off Lens: OFF C/G:390m Trees:1500m R:max Gamma: 1.5

4 hours ago, amazingme said:

You weren't operating the engine according to the safe limits specified in the manual. You should've had your radiators fully opened in MANUAL position, instead you had them both on AUTO. Your MP was higher than is should've been @ 2700 RPM or lower as you put wear and heat on the pistons. Simple as that.. The P-51 manual says to check your temps every 30 seconds..

Manual also says that coolers should be on AUTO all the time unless something is wrong.

Second thing he had oil cooler wide open all the time.

3rd thing he had MP and RPM set for military power 3000rpm and 61", not sure what he was doing prior recording.

RPM drop on the recording was consequence of dying engine, Throttle and rpm lever were maxed out while this happen.

Edited by grafspee

Was the oil pressure within limits? Overcooled oil has a greater viscosity, it doesn't flow fast enough to provide the relevant cooling and lubrication films are more likely to tear. If you demand too much performance from an overcooled motor too quickly then bearings and such will heat faster than the oil can transfer it and there will be damage to partially lubricated bearings etc.

8 minutes ago, DD_Fenrir said:

Was the oil pressure within limits? Overcooled oil has a greater viscosity, it doesn't flow fast enough to provide the relevant cooling and lubrication films are more likely to tear. If you demand too much performance from an overcooled motor too quickly then bearings and such will heat faster than the oil can transfer it and there will be damage to partially lubricated bearings etc.

At the begging of the recording, oil pressure looks fine in green range and oil temp is just a bit below green.

Edited by grafspee