Date on Time page of DED

snipy

Maybe reported, but couldn't find in search as date and time are too general,  but date on DED seems to be backwards for days.  Image attached, showing 06/41/16.  It should be 06/14/16, as there aren't 41 days in a month.

Also, for logbook, does it use UTC time?  Because I'm flying a 06:00 mission on Caucus on 06/14 (or 41)/16 and it is logging it as night flight hours.

Night on the 41st of June.PNG

20 minutes ago, Florence201 said:

If you jump in a jet and the NWS needs brightness adjustment to see, then DCS classes it as night. 

I can't say otherwise, but that seems very arbitrary, and a "rule of thumb" concept someone came up with to explain log book timing.  Imagine if you were tasked to write a method that returns a boolean value as to whether the logbook should record time as night (true) or not (false).  Doing so based on a "brightness setting" would be rather finicky and difficult, but instead, suppose you wrote it like this:

bool Logbook::IsNight(time_t currentTime, time_t sunrise, time_t sunset)
{
	if (currentTime >= sunRise && curentTime < sunset)
      	return false;

return true;
}

Now, if you passed in currentTime as UTC, then you could mistakenly classify it as night, even though it is day.

Writing a function based on time seems a lot simpler design, but one that could be easily messed up, than doing so based on whether NWS needs an adjustment to brightness. 

I very much doubt there is a bit of code running that is determining night based on brightness settings.  That seems like a life hack someone came up with to justify why their log book shows night and not.  Which means, not ED... but, us.

I'd bet the code uses time.  And it's just got a bug in which time is sent over to determine if day or night. 

12 minutes ago, Florence201 said:

You’ve misunderstood. I said if you find that you need to adjust the settings, it’s because DCS sayings it’s night. Not that the brightness determines it

Ahhh, yes.  I did misunderstand.  I already knew DCS considered it night, because the logbook logged the hours as night.

What I'm interested in knowing is... why.  FAA rules?  Bug due to UTC?

Something for me to play around with then, by creating some different missions and advancing time, and looking at the time on the DED, and sunrise on that particular date, etc.

Thanks for the help.

• Like 1