"Saved Games" not working anymore after hardware change and copying DCS onto SSD

Go to solution Solved by Hammerhead,

Hello,

I copied DCS from D to the faster C drive.

When starting DCS I noticed all my settings (graphics, snapviews,...)  were gone in DCS World. Even when making changes to graphics settings and then launching a quickstart mission and exiting DCS to desktop, the "D:\Saved Games\DCS.openbeta\options.lua" file remains unchanged with the old files. Tried deleting "D:\Saved Games\DCS.openbeta" folder after backing it up and restarting a mission in DCS hoping that the folder would populate with new files but no, folder is still empty.

I checked C:\users\USERNAME\ but there is no Saved Games folder here either.

Also found another folder C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Local\DCS.openbeta which is also empty.

I did a successful REPAIR and CLEANUP using Skate Zilla's DCS UPDATER UTILITY but still the same results.

How can I rebuild the structure from the "Saved Games" folder so that I can overwrite it with my backup config files?

Thanks

My rig:

My YouTube Channel: https://goo.gl/mWdlQk

PC Specs: Intel i7-3770k 3.5GHz | GeForce RTX 2060Super 8GB | Iiyama Black Hawk G-Master 75Hz dual monitors |16 GB RAM | ASUS Z77 Sabertooth mobo | Saitek PRO Combat Rudder Pedals | TM HOTAS Cougar | TrackIR5 | Win10x64

do you have your old "saved games"? what i did is i installed the game, renamed my "saved games dcs.openbeta" to .org. your controllers will likely be named a different guid. so what i did is i opened each plane and imported the old controller files. that way its the same config but correct guid.

2021-05-02_17-44-06.png

2021-05-02_17-46-59.png

AKA_SilverDevil AKA Forums My YouTube

“It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.” — Mark Twain

I downloaded and installed DCS World OpenBeta completely from scratch after backing up my game install folder. Started DCS and launched a quickstart mission in the Frogfoot free plane (all my aircraft and terrain and campaign modules have to be reinstalled). Then I did a windows search in my pc searching for any files changed in the last 7 minutes when DCS was running (enter "datemodified: 03/05/2021 18:10 .. 03/05/2021 18:17" in the explorer search bar). I found the save game location!! But WTF, it's in my documents folder! So how did it end up here in "D:\Documents\My Games\DCS.openbeta" instead of "Saved Games"?

Edited by Hmmerhead

My rig:

PC Specs: Intel i7-3770k 3.5GHz | GeForce RTX 2060Super 8GB | Iiyama Black Hawk G-Master 75Hz dual monitors |16 GB RAM | ASUS Z77 Sabertooth mobo | Saitek PRO Combat Rudder Pedals | TM HOTAS Cougar | TrackIR5 | Win10x64

• Solution

SOLVED!
OK apparently according to DCS log file it could not find Windows "Saved Games" folder and then DCS defaults to "My documents\My games" folder instead. 
So here is the solution if you want to recreate your Windows 10 "Saved Games" folder to the default location in your users folder:

Download batch file from following site: https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/23504-restore-default-location-personal-folders-windows-10-a.html#11

Or create the batch file yourself with following content:

@echo off 

taskkill /f /im explorer.exe

timeout /t 2 /nobreak >nul

if not exist "%UserProfile%\Saved Games" mkdir "%UserProfile%\Saved Games"

reg add "HKCU\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Shell Folders" /v "{4C5C32FF-BB9D-43B0-B5B4-2D72E54EAAA4}" /t REG_SZ /d "C:\Users\%USERNAME%\Saved Games" /f

reg add "HKCU\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\User Shell Folders" /v "{4C5C32FF-BB9D-43B0-B5B4-2D72E54EAAA4}" /t REG_EXPAND_SZ /d %%USERPROFILE%%"\Saved Games" /f

attrib +r -s -h "%USERPROFILE%\Saved Games" /S /D

timeout /t 1 /nobreak >nul

start explorer.exe

Then, if you want you can move this "Saved Games" windows library to another drive by right-clicking and selecting "properties" and then go to the "location" tab.

Edited by Hammerhead
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

My rig:

9 minutes ago, Hammerhead said:

SOLVED!
OK apparently according to DCS log file it could not find Windows "Saved Games" folder ...

Correct, the "Saved Games" is a special Windows folder, it cant be moved or renamed by the usual windows file management. 

• Like 2

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB