What could we really expect from BS3 ? newsletter was exhaustive ? FLIR ?

Hello Pilot,

I'm a new player on chopper (in my team we name helicopter = ventilator ), i really enjoy this module, i think it's under estimate.

What we can really expect with BS3?

Newsletter said

new features that expand gameplay, these include.

[...]

brand new external 3D model, enhanced cockpit and new features that expand gameplay

Helicopter missile warning system (MWS) implementation

Air-to-Air Igla missile implementation

Well apache is coming too, i know it's a big debate beetween KA50 and people don't want to see a KA52, to be honest i don't really matter, about number,  i'm not focus 100% fidelity or 90 %

Igla ? why not , it's like sidewinder or A10, you take it because you can but when are they usefull ? 
MWS, OK it could be cool , usefull not a best deal but ok 

enhanced cockpit what doest it mean ? Only visual ? or a retrofit ?

"expand gameplay", for me the only real thing needed is night pod, the Ka-50F exist. 

1280px-Kamov_Ka-50_in_Moscow.jpg

https://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kamov_Ka-50#/media/Fichier:Kamov_Ka-50_in_Moscow.jpg

In term of upgrade A10c to A10C II, just the Scorpio helmet do all the job and yes the upgrade is worth it, in term of quality of life it's a huge plus.

AA capacity/MWS ? meh

What do you think ?

• Like 1

Well, the reason we need Igla's is because the shkval is so horrible at locking air targets.  Even slow moving ones.  The Igla is not as good as the Sidewinder or the Russian R-60.  It's smaller and made for close range ( ~ 5 km ).  We really need a new EO with FLIR.  GOES 451 or 452 that the Ka-52 is using now would be great.  As I recall, the shkval was dumped after the Ka-50.  Guess the Russkies weren't impressed with it either.

The Cockpit will probably remain the same with what they are offering now.  MWS will go to the MFD, and there is already a switch for AA selection.

Supposedly, we are getting an external model remake.

Totally agree with the FLIR.  The Shark can't do night missions without it.  The flares are a joke, and instantly give away your position.

Edited by 3WA
  • Like 1

I think all it will be is external model, MWS and Igla. Nothing else has been promised.

If this is the final list, I don't plan on buying it, it's just not compelling enough of an offer to me.

I think INS drift ought to finally be simulated and the shkval needs a major update.

Edited by LastRifleRound
  • Thanks 2

BS3 is a critical upgrade, as the black shark stands right now it is very capable, but when the Apache comes it will be obvious how weak BS2 is... hell, even Hind will show this.

This is not a question of toe to toe Apache V BS2 discussion,  but it is more each machines ability to work in a complex advanced battlefield without ever meeting each other..

All SP missions you play in BS2 are "tuned" to BS2 and low tech adversaries.

All MP missions you play are "tuned" to BS2 and 1000 player aircraft as support.

The Apache will need no "tuning" of the missions!

BS3 will do a better job in "untuned" missions (true peer to peer missions)....... However, the Apache will thrive!

Edited by Rogue Trooper
  • Like 2

HP G2 Reverb, Windows 10 VR settings: IPD is 64.5mm, High image quality, G2 reset to 60Hz refresh rate as standard. OpenXR user, Open XR tool kit disabled. Open XR was a massive upgrade for me.

DCS: Pixel Density 1.0, Forced IPD at 55 (perceived world size), 0 X MSAA, 0 X SSAA. My real IPD is 64.5mm. Prescription VROptition lenses installed. VR Driver system: I9-9900KS 5Ghz CPU. XI Hero motherboard and RTX 3090 graphics card, 64 gigs Ram, No OC at the mo. MT user  (2 - 5 fps gain). DCS run at 60Hz.

Vaicom user. Thrustmaster warthog user. MFG pedals with damper upgrade.... and what an upgrade! Total controls Apache MPDs set to virtual Reality height with brail enhancements to ensure 100% button activation in VR.. Simshaker Jet Pro vibration seat.. Uses data from DCS not sound.... you know when you are dropping into VRS with this bad boy.

22 minutes ago, Rogue Trooper said:

BS3 is a critical upgrade, as the black shark stands right now it is very capable, but when the Apache comes it will be obvious how weak BS2 is... hell, even Hind will show this.

This is not a question of toe to toe Apache V BS2 discussion,  but it is more each machines ability to work in a complex advanced battlefield without ever meeting each other..

All MP missions you play are "tuned" to BS2 and 1000 player aircraft as support.

BS3 will do a better job in "untuned" missions (true peer to peer missions)....... However, the Apache will thrive!

I guess if helo BFM with fox 2 is what you're after. I'm just a fix what you have before you make new stuff kind of guy, but I can see why some people might be excited for it.

Edited by LastRifleRound

15 hours ago, Rogue Trooper said:

We really, really, reaaaally don't fly the same missions lmao. Anyway, these apache points simply don't have anything to do here. In my squad we deploy 12 ka-50 and 4 gazelles, along with 4 A10C, 30 various fighters... Welp, we're the kings of A/G, the centerpiece, the masterpiece, the crown jewel.... Our missions are to stop various and very complex ENI deployments, covered with SAM up to Sa 15 or 19, on as much realistic as possible real scenarios reproductions... 

We even get to meet other chopers sometimes... Lol we eat them, simply because ye know, we have strict procedures for such situation and everyone knows what he has to do. Would you be in an apache against such deployment you would never even stand a chance to shoot... Yesterday for training purpose we ended againt 12 Mi-24 covering a massive armor countee attack.... The Mi-24 never managed to reach 4 km from our units... We regrouped the whole package in 1 min and slaughtered them in roughly 90 seconds. 

Still, in our mission planification, we systematically plan the losses : yesterday we expected 25%. We ended around 20%. Being solo in such an environment simply is pointless ! 

Sry guys but past a moment reading the bs sections really looks like reading the complaint of solo rookies who think that it's because of the aircraft that they are so bad... Go join a real hardcore sim squad and learn the real thing instead of stating that "ka-50 is not able to do more than assymetric warfare" or no match compared to other helos... Cause no helo whatsoever was ever planned to be used alone like in dlc campaigns or your solo miz. US apache deployments in Iraq, against supposedly real opposition were 30-40 HLO heavy ! Still they got their ass kicked by surprise, manually aimed zu23 ! Because apache is like any other HLO. If used in the proper conditions it rocks. If not it burns. Ka-50 is its exact soviet counterpart. So there has to be mission tuning for every single type of airframe, else you send the guy on direct suicide mission. Statistically, in real war against USSR, US HLO pilot lifespan statistics were around 15 minutes, whatever type being considered ! The whole A-10C US fleet was to vanish in roughly one month ! 

Edited by dimitriov
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I personally think that having a technological advantage is a nice thing to have, but it does not mean instant victory. The past concerning warfare in human history has some lessons about it

When you look at it from DCS perspective, I can assure you that that flying "older" less advanced machines does not mean defeat, when facing a technologically superior foe. The same applies to the Ka-50, Mi-24 and other similar machines. Its more challanging, sure, but far from FUBAR.

Just my two cents. 

"The whole A-10C US fleet was to vanish in roughly one month !"

Ehh...  I suspect not...  But what do I know...  That point could be argued for a month...  at least :).

Nvidia RTX3080 (HP Reverb), AMD 3800x

Asus Prime X570P, 64GB G-Skill RipJaw 3600

Saitek X-65F and Fanatec Club-Sport Pedals (Using VJoy and Gremlin to remap Throttle and Clutch into a Rudder axis)

• 6 months later...
On 5/6/2021 at 2:03 PM, dimitriov said:

We really, really, reaaaally don't fly the same missions lmao. Anyway, these apache points simply don't have anything to do here. In my squad we deploy 12 ka-50 and 4 gazelles, along with 4 A10C, 30 various fighters... Welp, we're the kings of A/G, the centerpiece, the masterpiece, the crown jewel.... Our missions are to stop various and very complex ENI deployments, covered with SAM up to Sa 15 or 19, on as much realistic as possible real scenarios reproductions... 

We even get to meet other chopers sometimes... Lol we eat them, simply because ye know, we have strict procedures for such situation and everyone knows what he has to do. Would you be in an apache against such deployment you would never even stand a chance to shoot... Yesterday for training purpose we ended againt 12 Mi-24 covering a massive armor countee attack.... The Mi-24 never managed to reach 4 km from our units... We regrouped the whole package in 1 min and slaughtered them in roughly 90 seconds. 

Still, in our mission planification, we systematically plan the losses : yesterday we expected 25%. We ended around 20%. Being solo in such an environment simply is pointless ! 

Sry guys but past a moment reading the bs sections really looks like reading the complaint of solo rookies who think that it's because of the aircraft that they are so bad... Go join a real hardcore sim squad and learn the real thing instead of stating that "ka-50 is not able to do more than assymetric warfare" or no match compared to other helos... Cause no helo whatsoever was ever planned to be used alone like in dlc campaigns or your solo miz. US apache deployments in Iraq, against supposedly real opposition were 30-40 HLO heavy ! Still they got their ass kicked by surprise, manually aimed zu23 ! Because apache is like any other HLO. If used in the proper conditions it rocks. If not it burns. Ka-50 is its exact soviet counterpart. So there has to be mission tuning for every single type of airframe, else you send the guy on direct suicide mission. Statistically, in real war against USSR, US HLO pilot lifespan statistics were around 15 minutes, whatever type being considered ! The whole A-10C US fleet was to vanish in roughly one month ! 

Very well said Sir.
May i ask which squadron you are part of?

Inno3d RTX 2070 Twin X2, ASUS STRIX Z270E Gaming, Intel i7 7700K, 32GB Corsair vengeance, Kingston Hyper X FPS Alloy Cherry MX Red, Logitech G102 Prodigy, Track Ir 5, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Saitek Combat Rudder pedals, Beyer Dynamic DT770, Acer CB280HK 4K monitor, Win 10 Pro 64bit

The overall upgrade to modern standards is necessary (e.g. Shkval fixes). The MWS will be quite useful. The Igla will be fun (and was offered as an export option). I'm hoping there will be options to carry less Vikhr per hardpoint... which appears to be a realistic option for range/performance when one only needs to take out a few targets.

• Like 1