Ka-6 as a flyable aircraft?

Is there any possibility that with the upcoming A-6E module and AI that we would also get the upcoming KA-6 module as a flyable aircraft? Having a human operated tanker aircraft would be a great addition to DCS imo, maybe having it like the F-14 where we got the A and B, though I’m not sure how different the tanker variant is from the normal intruder and I understand if heatblur would not like to develop it do to it’s differences.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Also not sure if there is currently any in game code to support human tankers, so that could be another issue and I fully understand if heatblur would not like to put all of that time into creating a foundation for that

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 4

The short answer to this is that we want to - but until we know more, we can't commit just yet.

It's possible we might do some kind of "pseudo" implementation; where it's really an A-6 except in exterior shape alone, as a stop-gap.

We'll keep you in the loop!

• Like 13
  • Thanks 4

Nicholas Dackard

Founder & Lead Artist

Heatblur Simulations

https://www.facebook.com/heatblur/

Considering that the A-6E with a buddy pod has virtually the same fuel offloading capabilities as the KA-6D, wouldn't it just make most sense to provide this? In fact, even the KA-6D frequently carried the buddy pod. I appreciate the AI KA-6D, because this was historically part of the air wing and stood out visually with its high-viz markings. But from a playable capabilities point of view, it offers nothing over a regular playable A-6E.

I assume the biggest issue with human tankers (dedicated or buddy) is that it requires implementation by ED first, including AI programming for AI receiving aircraft.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/4/2021 at 8:40 AM, Cobra847 said:

The short answer to this is that we want to - but until we know more, we can't commit just yet.

It's possible we might do some kind of "pseudo" implementation; where it's really an A-6 except in exterior shape alone, as a stop-gap.

Personally, I would be totally fine with this workaround. My unit really would love to have a player flown tanker. 

• Like 1

Flying the DCS: F-14B from Heatblur Simulations with Carrier Strike Group 2 and the VF-154 Black Knights!

I also own: Ka-50 2, A-10C, P-51D, UH-1H, Mi-8MTV2, FC3, F-86F, CA, Mig-15bis, Mig-21bis, F/A-18C, L-39, F-5E, AV-8B, AJS-37, F-16C, Mig-19P, JF-17, C-101, and CEII

On 5/4/2021 at 3:40 PM, Cobra847 said:

On 5/6/2021 at 3:06 PM, MBot said:

Considering that the A-6E with a buddy pod has virtually the same fuel offloading capabilities as the KA-6D, wouldn't it just make most sense to provide this? In fact, even the KA-6D frequently carried the buddy pod. I appreciate the AI KA-6D, because this was historically part of the air wing and stood out visually with its high-viz markings. But from a playable capabilities point of view, it offers nothing over a regular playable A-6E.

I assume the biggest issue with human tankers (dedicated or buddy) is that it requires implementation by ED first, including AI programming for AI receiving aircraft.

I agree

that may be the best course of action to have a buddy pod implemented first for the Base A-6 and then later make a flyable KA-6D if there is enough interest after that.

because apart from nuclear bombs the KA-6D is unarmed

so Recource wise that would be a smarter course of action to have the combat plane also do tanking, so more people are pleased.

Here a A-6E SWIP that both carries a buddy tank + 2x AGM-65 Maverick:

Defense.gov_News_Photo_960425-N-0998M-00

doing some research it apears that tankers sometimes carry training weapons, and also life weapons to still get some practice in while on tanker duty

obviously only in peacetime.

this loadout could also be something that could work in a war enviroment where the tankers also do patrol duties against small naval surface targets when no tanking is required.

Edited by Iron_physik
  • Like 1

Flyable tanker would be the Shizz! I am all for it.

System Specs: 13900K, Strix Z790 Gaming E, MSI 4090 Sprim Liquid X  OC'd, 64gb Gskill Trident Z DDR5, Samsung 980 PRO M.2 SSD,. Winwing throttle, Winwing panels/MIPs and VKB GF3/MCGU stick, MFG Crosswind V2, HP REVERB G2.

On 5/17/2021 at 2:27 AM, Iron_physik said:

I agree

that may be the best course of action to have a buddy pod implemented first for the Base A-6 and then later make a flyable KA-6D if there is enough interest after that.

because apart from nuclear bombs the KA-6D is unarmed

so Recource wise that would be a smarter course of action to have the combat plane also do tanking, so more people are pleased.

Here a A-6E SWIP that both carries a buddy tank + 2x AGM-65 Maverick:

Defense.gov_News_Photo_960425-N-0998M-00

doing some research it apears that tankers sometimes carry training weapons, and also life weapons to still get some practice in while on tanker duty

obviously only in peacetime.

this loadout could also be something that could work in a war enviroment where the tankers also do patrol duties against small naval surface targets when no tanking is required.

The KA-6D could deliver non-nuclear munitions, however these had to be delivered visually with the manual release mode.

I can't imagine anything cooler than for us to be able to plan and execute missions where we can provide our own organic tanking off the boat! KA-6, A-6E w/buddy pack or an S-3 would be fine, as long as we could have complete control over it.

• Like 2

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• 2 months later...

I recently read a good article of a former A-6 pilot where he tells of his experience in flying tanker hops. After reading it made me realize just how useful it would be to have this capability in DCS. There would definitely be a need in just flying recovery tanker missions for those coming back from long missions that are already low in fuel and have made several failed landing attempts. lol

https://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zone/27604/confessions-of-an-a-6-intruder-pilot

Most of my career was spent operating in the Persian Gulf where we had ample Air Force tanker support, but I flew a handful of tanker hops where we would strap four 2,000-pound drop-tanks and a centerline mounted D-704 refueling-pod, which aside from containing the retracting hose and basket, held another 2,000-pounds of gas. 

The most fun tanker hops were the daytime yo-yo missions where you would launch before the fighters and strikers, meet them a couple hundred miles from the carrier along their strike route, give them almost all of your gas (18,000-20,000 pounds of give!) and then race back to the carrier for a solo shit-hot break. 

The most rewarding tanker hops were when you were assigned as a recovery tanker for the last event of the night. Your job was to orbit overhead and be prepared to offer emergency gas to the planes that were coming down to land in the event they boltered (missed all the wires) or were waved off.  

During Blue-Water ops, when we operated beyond the range of possibility to divert to a land-based runway, it was particularly challenging and a massive responsibility. Carrier-based jets are fuel-critical from the moment we start our engines. When we fly far enough out to sea where calling ‘uncle’ and landing on a runway isn’t possible, every ounce of gas becomes precious.

Once the night missions are complete and it's time to land, the jets have enough gas for maybe two attempts to catch a wire. Throw in some weather, a pitching deck, a dark night and the knowledge that you either are landing safely on the ship, or ejecting into the frigid ocean, a pilot can get so tense that they practically suck the seat cushion up their butt. 

Everyone I know has had a ‘night-in-the-barrel,' a night where they had difficulty beyond normal catching a wire. And after every miss, the tension became more intense. You knew that five-thousand people were watching your every failed attempt, including your peers, your CO, the Skipper of the ship, and most likely the Strike-Group Admiral. 

As the recovery tanker you were the last line of hope for a strung-out pilot who had already failed to land a few times. His, or her, nerves were surely shattered and confidence was in their boots. On the last pass before the troubled plane would need to refuel, the recovery tanker would drop down to shadow, or ‘hawk,’ the jet. 

You would have to maneuver yourself to time it perfectly so that if the jet failed to land once again you would be just in front of them at 2,000 feet. Then that shaky, panicky pilot could spot you immediately as they cleaned up and climbed to your altitude right behind you. Then they would have to perform an activity just slightly less challenging than landing on a carrier at night, they would have to plug their refueling probe into a basket dangling into the slipstream fifty feet behind the tanker at night, maybe in bad weather, at 2,000 feet. Or, they were going swimming. And the reward for a successful plug and refuel was another look at the boat.  

Yay.  

I know a guy who had to go around so many times he plugged the hawking tanker three times.  After he finally landed, he was so wrung out he had to be helped from the cockpit.  

And after all the drama was complete for the night, the recovery tanker had to come in and land. And there was no one hawking you with extra gas if you couldn’t make it aboard. 

I didn’t love flying tanker missions and thankfully I didn’t have to fly many, but the yo-yo, and especially the recovery tanker missions were always gratifying. 

Edited by Evoman
  • Like 7

Good stuff, thanks.  I'm bummed that the Intruder is so far down the list in the development order; I can't wait! But credit to Heatblur for being honest about it, and I know I may be in the minority, to want the Intruder before the others. All the upcoming modules sound awesome.  I've just always had a soft spot for the Intruder...

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 8/10/2021 at 5:51 PM, Stearmandriver said:

Good stuff, thanks.  I'm bummed that the Intruder is so far down the list in the development order; I can't wait! But credit to Heatblur for being honest about it, and I know I may be in the minority, to want the Intruder before the others. All the upcoming modules sound awesome.  I've just always had a soft spot for the Intruder...

You are not in the minority, haha, but life sometimes puts us in front of necessities we cannot just circumvent. However, you will not be disappointed during the waiting time. 🙂

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Heatblur Simulations

Please feel free to contact me anytime, either via PM here, on the forums, or via email through the contact form on our homepage.

http://www.heatblur.com/

1 hour ago, IronMike said:

You are not in the minority, haha, but life sometimes puts us in front of necessities we cannot just circumvent. However, you will not be disappointed during the waiting time. 🙂

Oh come on, you are a mean person. 

Commentary like this is hurting me physically. Good thing I'm currently in the hospital, so I'm able to ping the nurse for some painkiller iv. 

(just in case if someone missed it, that was my try on irony with a true core) 

Yes, I'm in pain due to the longer wait for the intruder and not being happy that you went digital first, but even  more I have a very special wish for a HB analog model, which painfully let me wait for the great reveal. It's almost the same feeling as if you would be the woman of my dreams and I'm waiting for you to recognize me. 

Oh, I need to stop, the nurse is here...... 

37 minutes ago, Lt_Jaeger said:

Oh, I need to stop, the nurse is here......

She may very well be the woman of your dreams. Well, depending on the nurse I guess. 😄

I hope it is nothing too serious and that you get well soon!

Edited by IronMike
  • Like 2

Heatblur Simulations

Please feel free to contact me anytime, either via PM here, on the forums, or via email through the contact form on our homepage.

http://www.heatblur.com/

5 hours ago, IronMike said:

😄
I hope it is nothing too serious and that you get well soon!

Thank you, nothing the right announcement by you guys couldn't fix, so let's get it on. 

I almost start to believe, you guys enjoy the agony you put us in with this waiting game, the same way as doctor's and nursed enjoying to stick sharp and pointy objects into other people's body's. 

Just bored, but now back on topic. 

• Like 1