Switching to team Red: Anyone using 6800XT or 6900XT care to share their settings?

Sr.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | 64GB DDR4 3600| MSI RTX 4080 16GB Ventus 3X OC  | Samsung 970 Evo 2TB NVME | HP Reverb G2 | DIY Head Tracker Cap | Logitech X-56 throttle | VKB NXT Premium |  Win 11

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."

--Arthur C Clark

• 2 weeks later...

Man! I've had nothing but crashing trying to use the Radeon software. Seems no matter what preset I try to use, it will eventually crash with some message referencing "Wattman". While DCS itself wouldn't crash, it would crash WMR, another game I play (Rocket League) and even Chrome would stop while simply reading a page or watching youtube. Often, a black screen, complete restart crash or blue screen with "IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL".

I have since done a clean uninstall/re-install of the DRIVER only and now use MSI Afterburner to control fans, clock speeds etc. No more crashing.

Welp... turns out I actually had a RAM configuration this new motherboard doesn't support.

I had 4x16 DDR4 2666 running at 3600 XMP. After several mem test failures and cross checking the ASRock compatibility list, I'm back to 2x16 DDR4 same XMP profile.

I think I still prefer using MSI Afterburner to handle the OC, fans etc.

Edited by Sr.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | 64GB DDR4 3600| MSI RTX 4080 16GB Ventus 3X OC  | Samsung 970 Evo 2TB NVME | HP Reverb G2 | DIY Head Tracker Cap | Logitech X-56 throttle | VKB NXT Premium |  Win 11

--Arthur C Clark

22 minutes ago, Sr. said:

Man! I've had nothing but crashing trying to use the Radeon software. Seems no matter what preset I try to use, it will eventually crash with some message referencing "Wattman". While DCS itself wouldn't crash, it would crash WMR, another game I play (Rocket League) and even Chrome would stop while simply reading a page or watching youtube. Often, a black screen, complete restart crash or blue screen with "IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL".

I have since done a clean uninstall/re-install of the DRIVER only and now use MSI Afterburner to control fans, clock speeds etc. No more crashing.

Strange one ! No problems here running in Rage mode ....

9700k @ stock , Aorus Pro Z390 wifi , 32gb 3200 mhz CL16 , 1tb EVO 970 , MSI RX 6800XT Gaming X TRIO , Seasonic Prime 850w Gold , Coolermaster H500m , Noctua NH-D15S , CH Pro throttle and T50CM2/WarBrD base on Foxxmounts , CH pedals , Reverb G2v2

• 1 month later...
On 5/6/2021 at 11:43 PM, Hartsblade said:

Here are my settings for SteamVR, DCS, and I've read a few things that under volting the 6900xt might be best for performance, so I've been playing with the Automatic Under volt preset.  I get a pretty solid 60fps unless I'm flying low over a city, then I get a steady 40 fps.

Settings are in the Spoiler tags...

Reveal hidden contents

SteamVR.png

Reveal hidden contents

DCS System.png

Reveal hidden contents

DCS VR.png

Reveal hidden contents

GPU undervolt.png

Hope those help you out

Just a quick note. I've made a few changes to my settings that has given me a bit of a boost. Lowering the refresh rate from 120Hz to 90Hz in SteamVR is giving me fairly steady 88-90fps (with a dip to 45fps low over a city). Frame times (both CPU and GPU) have dropped below 10ms.

Still have motion smoothing off and I've advanced super sampling turned off as well. Aslo in the AMD Catalyst software I pushed the AMD Sharpening from 80% to 100%

Edited by Hartsblade
Spelling

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D 8-Core Processor | Asus TUFF nvidia GeForce RTX 4090 OC | Asus ROG Crosshair VII Dark Hero | 64GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4-3600 RAM | Windows 10 Pro x64 | Virpil MT-50 CM2 Throttle | Virpil Alpha on WarBRD base |  Virpil Ace 1 Rudder Pedals | Saitek Pro Flight Throttle Quadrant (x2) |Acer x34 P 3440 x 1440 | Valve Index VR | DCS on NVME

2 hours ago, Topo said:

This work in VR?

Yes it does seem to work, unless it is just a placebo effect 😉

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D 8-Core Processor | Asus TUFF nvidia GeForce RTX 4090 OC | Asus ROG Crosshair VII Dark Hero | 64GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4-3600 RAM | Windows 10 Pro x64 | Virpil MT-50 CM2 Throttle | Virpil Alpha on WarBRD base |  Virpil Ace 1 Rudder Pedals | Saitek Pro Flight Throttle Quadrant (x2) |Acer x34 P 3440 x 1440 | Valve Index VR | DCS on NVME

On 7/24/2021 at 4:16 PM, 4NGRY said:

Folks. Has anyone seen a difference in using for example AF 16x in the AMD Tool vs DCS GUI? For example turn AF off in dcs but 16x in the AMD Tool?

I was under the impression this only applies to Direct x 9 applications.

--Arthur C Clark

17 hours ago, Sr. said:

I was under the impression this only applies to Direct x 9 applications.

The AMD app references DX9, but Google searches say it applies up to DX12. Will be interested to see if it works. 

Looking forward your follow up. I had to stop using the Radeon Software, too many constant crashes and never really saw that the controls or settings did much for me. (or DCS)

I just manage a slight OC with MSI Afterburner now.

--Arthur C Clark

5 hours ago, Sr. said:

Looking forward your follow up. I had to stop using the Radeon Software, too many constant crashes and never really saw that the controls or settings did much for me. (or DCS)

I just manage a slight OC with MSI Afterburner now.

I'm actually under volting my 6900xt using Catalyst. Under volting seem to give me the best performance boost.

4 minutes ago, Hartsblade said:

I'm actually under volting my 6900xt using Catalyst. Under volting seem to give me the best performance boost.

Any particular voltage or just using the preset?

--Arthur C Clark

14 hours ago, Sr. said:

Any particular voltage or just using the preset?

Just using the preset myself, and getting a little boost in performance.  I have read that if you have the time/patience to tweak it you can get even more.

Just wondering if the quality/fps ratio I get is okay or if I have any issue with my gpu. Maybe you guys can tell me if that fits.

System: Ryzen 5 3600, MSI X470 Gaming Plus, AMD RX6900xt Ref., 32 GB 3200Mhz RAM, 970 evo M.2.

Headset: Oculus Quest 2 via Cable

DCS via Oculus Link (Oculus Link -.> Steam VR -> DCS)

Settings:

Oculus Link: 90hz and 1.0 SS

Oculus Tray Tool: Highest Resolution, 500bit, Destorion to high

Steam VR: Supersampling per eye for DCS something around 2800x2800

DCS:

Details: High

Terain Details: high

Traffic: Off

Water: Medium

Range: High

Heat Blur: off

Shadows: medium/std

Display: 512

MSAA: x4

DoF: off

Lens Effects: off

Motion Blur: Off

Clouds: medium/std

SSAA: Off

SSLR: Off

SSAO: Off

Clutter Grass: 25

Forest vis: 100%

Forest Details: 0.1

Scenery Details: 0.6

Preload: 150000

ChineySmoke: 2

Gamma: 1.9

AF: 8x

Object Shadows: Default

Illum: Off

Pixel Density: 1.0

Thats it and all I've done to the AMD Drivers was to set the minimum Clock from 500Mhz to 2000Mhz which raised my 3D Mark GPU Score from 12000pts to 19000pts.

The Result in an F18

At Carrier Day: 45fps

At Carrier Night (next to the Tower): 30fps

Air: 45-55 fps (sometimes more)

F14 is all a little bit lower.

Does that fit so far? I think my bottleneck for DCS is my CPU so I think my system is doing pretty well, especialy with MSAA to 4 what in my opinion raises the immersion alot, or what do you think?

An more recomendations to set up in the driver?

Best regards

Robo

Edited by RoboHackfeld

Robo

Are you running any of the shader mods or FHolger's Open_fsr?  
Motion smoothing?

https://github.com/fholger/openvr_fsr/releases

On 7/24/2021 at 4:16 PM, 4NGRY said:

Folks. Has anyone seen a difference in using for example AF 16x in the AMD Tool vs DCS GUI? For example turn AF off in dcs but 16x in the AMD Tool?

I haven't done an actual comparison yet. But I was surprised to find out that they were actually interchangeable.

I have mine running on the Radeon side. 

--Arthur C Clark

Has anyone tried the Radeon Chill (for VR)?

I have both sliders set to 60

I swear it helps. I can crank up the SteamVR SS 140% (to the point I start seeing screendoor) and my frametimes stay about the same. Even if/when fpsVR reports 22-25 GPU side, it it still smoother while banking hard and looking out the cockpit than with it off.

I had accidentally set the global SS to auto (which then set to 130%) and had the in game slider at 70%, and it looks great with about 12-14 ms GPU frametime.

So I decided to start cranking it up 10% at a time between restarts... resolution kept improving, but frametimes didn't suffer enough to even notice flying around Caucuses.

full disclosure, I am also running Speed of Heat's mod, & fholger https://github.com/fholger/openvr_fsr/releases/tag/fsr_v1.0

I am gonna compare with a vanilla, no mod install this evening.

--Arthur C Clark

vor 19 Stunden schrieb Sr.:

Robo

Are you running any of the shader mods or FHolger's Open_fsr?  
Motion smoothing?

https://github.com/fholger/openvr_fsr/releases

I haven't done an actual comparison yet. But I was surprised to find out that they were actually interchangeable.

I have mine running on the Radeon side. 

I use the Reshade mod. 

Motion smoothing I think I can not use because Im not usin a WMR Headset. I use the Oculus or is it also available in SteamVR for Oculus? Havent seen it so far. 

How to monitor Frametimes in VR? Can I monitor it with fpsVR?

Edited by RoboHackfeld

5 hours ago, RoboHackfeld said:

Yes fpsVR will give you frame times for CPU and GPU. Great tool.

Edited by Hartsblade
Spelling

I use the Reshade mod. 

Motion smoothing I think I can not use because Im not usin a WMR Headset. I use the Oculus or is it also available in SteamVR for Oculus? Havent seen it so far. 

I have zero Oculus experience. Prior to the Reverb G2 I was on a Vive Cosmos Elite. Vive has their own motion smoothing called motion compensation (from the Vive console) as SteamVR motion smoothing had no effect. Perhaps Oculus has something similar.

--Arthur C Clark

Am 2.8.2021 um 21:12 schrieb Sr.:

Has anyone tried the Radeon Chill (for VR)?

I have both sliders set to 60

I swear it helps. I can crank up the SteamVR SS 140% (to the point I start seeing screendoor) and my frametimes stay about the same. Even if/when fpsVR reports 22-25 GPU side, it it still smoother while banking hard and looking out the cockpit than with it off.

I had accidentally set the global SS to auto (which then set to 130%) and had the in game slider at 70%, and it looks great with about 12-14 ms GPU frametime.

So I decided to start cranking it up 10% at a time between restarts... resolution kept improving, but frametimes didn't suffer enough to even notice flying around Caucuses.

full disclosure, I am also running Speed of Heat's mod, & fholger https://github.com/fholger/openvr_fsr/releases/tag/fsr_v1.0

I am gonna compare with a vanilla, no mod install this evening.

So what was the result? 

Do I understand u right. You have both sliders like Min. FPS and Max FPS at 60? 

Whats the Framerate u get so far? 

So what was the result? 

Do I understand u right. You have both sliders like Min. FPS and Max FPS at 60? 

Whats the Framerate u get so far? 

Result is, DCS looks and performs better than I've seen it. Yes on the sliders.

In game FPS counter still reads 45, but I also have SVR motion smoothing enabled. It's the fpsVR frametimes that are most important.(IMO)

• Like 1

--Arthur C Clark

Has anyone here any direct real life experience in a 6900xt vs RTX3080 in dcs with VR? Ive had a 3080 on order since last November and it just keeps getting pushed further and further back with no delivery time in sight. The plus side is that i got it locked in to a very good price back in November last year, but I’m getting really impatient. 6900xt are now available here and i could get one within a couple of days, BUT, it is almost twice the price i have for the 3080. I’m reading lots of good things about both but if there was any real discernible advantage to the 6900 i might be able to justify to myself getting that.  

1 hour ago, TED said:

Has anyone here any direct real life experience in a 6900xt vs RTX3080 in dcs with VR? Ive had a 3080 on order since last November and it just keeps getting pushed further and further back with no delivery time in sight. The plus side is that i got it locked in to a very good price back in November last year, but I’m getting really impatient. 6900xt are now available here and i could get one within a couple of days, BUT, it is almost twice the price i have for the 3080. I’m reading lots of good things about both but if there was any real discernible advantage to the 6900 i might be able to justify to myself getting that.  

I had 3080 prior to 6900xt, but it was almost 8 months ago so maybe my experience would be different today with all drivers updates. But back in December 2020 situation was like this: With 6900xt I was getting more FPS than 3080, but at the same time frame times with 3080 were more consistent. Also motion smoothing (index) and motion reprojection (g2) was pretty much unusable on 6900xt. Looking back for VR I'd keep my 3080. If'd by shoping for GPU today it would be 3080 ti

Edited by VitS
  • Thanks 3

• 1 month later...

Hello everyone, I have a 6800xt and I was wondering what are the best drivers for vr. I am currently using version 21.8.1 and the configuration I use for DCS is this.

‎My performance is not bad but i wondered if there is any better driver to scratch some fps more.‎

i7 10700k, 32gb ram, z590, 6800xt, G2