Quaggles - DCS Input Command Injector Mod - Store custom input commands safely in Saved Games instead of merging them with developer changes each update

Quaggles

Weird thing happened today.  This morning in the Controls panel of DCS, no controls were visible.  All of the other panels were fine.  I did a repair but still no controls.  So in my mod manager, I disabled this mod, and the controls showed up again.  Not sure why. 

Also today, the kneeboard builder will not work. 

I am wondering if DCS did some type of silent update. 

Trackir4 using the latest Trackir 5 software, Win10 Pro [Creator Update] updated from Win7Pro Pro 64Bit, Intel® Core™ i5-2500 3.30 GHz 6M Intel Smart Cache LGA115 , GigaByte GA-Z68XP-UD4 Intel Z68 Chipset DDR3 16GB Ram, GTX MSI Gaming 1060 [6 GB] Video Card, Main Monitor 1 on left 1920x1080 Touchscreen Monitor 2 on right 1920x1080 .

6 minutes ago, sobe said:

Weird thing happened today.  This morning in the Controls panel of DCS, no controls were visible.  All of the other panels were fine.  I did a repair but still no controls.  So in my mod manager, I disabled this mod, and the controls showed up again.  Not sure why. 

Also today, the kneeboard builder will not work. 

I am wondering if DCS did some type of silent update. 

Which module?

For all the modules.  The control panel in the game was totally blank and nothing appeared. 

Edited by sobe

Trackir4 using the latest Trackir 5 software, Win10 Pro [Creator Update] updated from Win7Pro Pro 64Bit, Intel® Core™ i5-2500 3.30 GHz 6M Intel Smart Cache LGA115 , GigaByte GA-Z68XP-UD4 Intel Z68 Chipset DDR3 16GB Ram, GTX MSI Gaming 1060 [6 GB] Video Card, Main Monitor 1 on left 1920x1080 Touchscreen Monitor 2 on right 1920x1080 .

1 minute ago, sobe said:

For all the modules.  The control panel was totally blank and nothing appeared. 

I've seen that happen if there is bad LUA in one of the files. I was just working on binds last night and controls were there for me.

If you check dcs.log, and search for 'inputcommand', there may be an error in there showing which file and line the mod couldn't parse. Can you check?

checked and nothing appeared

I use a mod manager and the only thing I did different this morning after the problem occurred was to remove this mod from the list and everything was then ok.

23 minutes ago, sobe said:

checked and nothing appeared

I use a mod manager and the only thing I did different this morning after the problem occurred was to remove this mod from the list and everything was then ok.

Is the dcs.log from the last run when you had the mod disabled, or did you enable it and run it again before checking it?

If mod is enabled and controls don't load, I would expect there to be an exception in the dcs.log showing some form of parsing error. That's been my experience when I've done custom binds wrong.

But it's weird that it sounds like it just went bad this morning without any sort of update to DCS, the mod, or any custom binds you have in place? No changes coincide with it breaking?

Absent any sort of changes, maybe a filescan was going on in background and had the files locked, causing a permissions error or some edge case like that? I'd be curious if you re-enabled the mod if it'd suddenly work ok.

My wife thinks I am nuts for playing DCS with all the problems.  She may be right.  Re-enabled your mod and now of course it works.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, sobe said:

My wife thinks I am nuts for playing DCS with all the problems.  She may be right.  Re-enabled your mod and now of course it works.

Credit for the mod goes to @Quaggles , I work on the keybinds project that uses it.

Also know that feeling lol. Hiccups with hardware, tweaking VR stuff, setting up controls... somehow it's worth all the trouble. Glad it's working again. My guess is possibly a file was locked somehow or something, causing a temporary access/permissions violation thing when it was loading

• Like 1

9 hours ago, sobe said:

Ah good to see it's all sorted, not sure what went wrong but as Munkwolf said if it happens again check dcs.log in C:\Users\USERNAME\Saved Games\DCS\Logs. That should give some hints about the problem.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I love this mod as it saves messing with the install folder luas.  I've had it working OK to inject some keyboard commands, but today I tried to add in some axis commands to the F-14 and keep getting errors - obviously down to my total lack of skill - in the DCS log file.

Can someone look at the attached and tell me what I should be doing?  The keyCommands bit has always worked OK, but adding in the axisCommands has messed everything up.

Any help appreciated.

default.zip

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

1 hour ago, imacken said:

I love this mod as it saves messing with the install folder luas.  I've had it working OK to inject some keyboard commands, but today I tried to add in some axis commands to the F-14 and keep getting errors - obviously down to my total lack of skill - in the DCS log file.

Can someone look at the attached and tell me what I should be doing?  The keyCommands bit has always worked OK, but adding in the axisCommands has messed everything up.

Any help appreciated.

default.zip 1.1 kB · 1 download

Looks like you're missing a comma after the keyCommands object.

Instead of

}

axisCommands = {

try it with

},

axisCommands = {

Nice one! That was it. Thanks a lot.

• Like 1

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

Is there any way to get a bind for the HUD brightness/intensity in the A-10C?

• 3 weeks later...

Version 1.0.5 released: https://github.com/Quaggles/dcs-input-command-injector/releases/tag/1.0.5

• Allows `Config/Input` files to be merged, useful for merging `Aircrafts\common_joystick_binding.lua`, this allows you to add binds that will be automatically merged with most modules from a single file (Thanks @Ryuk47)
  • Updated data.lua to current DCS World Version, adds SideWinder Force Feedback 2 Joystick in the default assignments. (Thanks @Ryuk47)
  • Updated `InputCommands.zip` skeleton to contain AH-64D paths and `Aircrafts\common_joystick_binding.lua` + `Aircrafts\common_keyboard_binding.lua`
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

• 3 weeks later...

I've just gotten around to trying this, and I moved the F1-F12 comms input commands to the common files, and can't get them to show in DCS.  What EXACT location should the common binding lua files go?

DEFENSOR FORTIS

Spoiler

Systems: Falcon NW Talon: Ryzen 9 5950X @4.9GHz, 64GB DDR4, RTX 3090 FE; Falcon NW Mach V: Core i7 3930K @3.2GHz, 32GB DDR3, GTX 1080 FE

Cockpit: MonsterTech MTX F, 42" 4K TV, HP Reverb G2, Oculus Rift S, PointCTRL

Controls: RS F16SGRH CE, RS F18CGRH, VPC T-50CM2, VFX, WarBRD (Grips); VPC T-50CM2, RS FSSB R3L (Bases); Winwing F/A-18C, VPC T-50CM3, VPC T-50CM, TM Warthog, Cougar (Throttles); VPC ACE2 (Rudders)

• 1 month later...

This mod is absolutely fantastic. DCS should really just have this implemented by default makes customizing the game to your liking so straightforward. Eventually they really should add a setup within the controls setup UI to add additional custom key commands and have them get stored in Saved Games data.

Huge thank you to everyone who has put time into this and the community key binds.

I wanted to mention it might be worth updating the install/setup description to mention the InputCommands path should be different for those on DCS Open Beta. I think some follow this:

"New commands are configured in the Saved Games\DCS\InputCommands directory, lets go through how to configure a hold command for the speedbrake on the F/A-18C Hornet.

Without realizing they need to put InputCommands in Saved Games\DCS.openbeta\

Edited by haaaake
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Im only just wading into adding commands to the default.lua so bear with me. I had a situation where

a command showed up in controls but was not assignable to my TM Warthog throttle because this controller

has its own seperate lua and the commands needed to be added to that rather than default.lua ( this is what was explained to me by

LeCuvier who has been patiently and kindly helping me with command additions). Does this mod circumvent the need to add

commands to my individual controllers lua or does that still have to be done? Sorry if its a dumb question…my wife says im not the

brightest so she may be onto something there

Im only just wading into adding commands to the default.lua so bear with me. I had a situation where
a command showed up in controls but was not assignable to my TM Warthog throttle because this controller
has its own seperate lua and the commands needed to be added to that rather than default.lua ( this is what was explained to me by
LeCuvier who has been patiently and kindly helping me with command additions). Does this mod circumvent the need to add
commands to my individual controllers lua or does that still have to be done? Sorry if its a dumb question…my wife says im not the
brightest so she may be onto something there
Depends if I understand you correctly.
It's primarily for not having to "update" or repush your custom luas that will be replaced by DCS updates.
You can have your custom luas in your Saved Games folders, instead of the core installation folders.
And if you download from Munkwolf's project, it may happen that you don't even need to make/add them yourself.
Did this help?
Cheers!

Sent from my MAR-LX1A using Tapatalk

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hi

for the F-5E

has anyone done anything to get the airbrakes temporarily with the warthog?

thanks ?

System specs: Win10 x64 | i7-9700KF / i9-12900KF | 48/64 GB | GTX 1080 Ti 11 GB / RTX 3090TI 24GB | *NvME PRO 2To | HOTAS Warthog/Virpil | MFG Crosswind Pedals | Button Box

5 minutes ago, Kervinou said:

Hi

for the F-5E

has anyone done anything to get the airbrakes temporarily with the warthog?

thanks ?

I've done some temporary hold ones for my X-55 Throttle:

{	down = control_commands.SpdBrk,	up = control_commands.SpdBrk,	cockpit_device_id = devices.CONTROL_INTERFACE,	value_down = -1, value_up = 1.0,	name = _('Speed Brake Hold'),		category = {_('Quaggles Custom')}},
{	down = control_commands.SpdBrk,	up = control_commands.SpdBrk,	cockpit_device_id = devices.CONTROL_INTERFACE,	value_down = 1.0, value_up = -1,	name = _('Speed Brake Hold (Inverted)'),		category = {_('Quaggles Custom')}},

I just tried these commands, unluckily the boxes are greyed out in dcs, impossible to assign them to the warthog trottle!

thanks anyway

System specs: Win10 x64 | i7-9700KF / i9-12900KF | 48/64 GB | GTX 1080 Ti 11 GB / RTX 3090TI 24GB | *NvME PRO 2To | HOTAS Warthog/Virpil | MFG Crosswind Pedals | Button Box

On 7/10/2022 at 10:55 PM, Kervinou said:

I just tried these commands, unluckily the boxes are greyed out in dcs, impossible to assign them to the warthog trottle!

thanks anyway

Did you put them in a "joystick/default.lua" as shown in the instructions on the github? If you only put them in "keyboard/default.lua" they can't be assigned to HOTAS.

Edited by Quaggles
  • Like 1