How to set up nav beacons for Huey.

WelshZeCorgi

So I'm trying to make a mission where Multicrewed Hueys (coop-multiplayer) are guided to the target by a radio beacon set by a Humvee, but I can't get it to work.

I moved the Humvee next to my hot start spawn in the mission and couldn't pick up any signal I ordered the Humvee to emit. 

I tried looking up guides and tried a few but none worked. 

What am I doing wrong?

I'm trying VOR and ILS, as I've been told that ADF is not working. 

Edited by WelshZeCorgi

VOR and ILS will not work with ADF (as far as I know). You can emulate an NDB and use it to locate an VHF source. An easy way to do so (doesn't even require you to place units) is

• place a zone 'Sim NDB'
  • add a ONCE, time more than 1 Trigger with
    • Radio Transmission (choose a sound file), loop YES, Sim NDB zone, AM, Freq 0.44 MHz, 100W Power, name whatever, delay 0

image.png

This will create a repeating signal at 440 KHz (=0.44 MHZ) which you can tune the Huey to. Make sure you have the selector knob set to ADF, choose the correct Frequency band (the starting at 40 if memory serves), tune to 44 and you should hear the sound file. At the same time, your ADF needle will start rotating towards the source.

That's all.

Slightly more involved is using a vehicle: add a special waypoint action that first sets frequency (again 440 KHz), then add another action 'start transmission'. Again, you can home in on that unit. Works very well. Doing it in Lua is also possible, but much more involved, as it requires you to send the group's controller a setTask() command that is incredibly annoying to set up.

Edited by cfrag
  • Like 1