HTC to announce two new VR headsets

dburne

1 hour ago, dburne said:

Ok I caved... ugh.

Time to finally sell my 2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra I guess.

🙂👍

MSI MAG Z790 Carbon, i9-13900k, NH-D15 cooler, 64 GB CL40 6000mhz RAM, MSI RTX4090, Yamaha 5.1 A/V Receiver, 4x 2TB Samsung 980 Pro NVMe, 1x 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD, Win 11 Pro, TM Warthog, Virpil WarBRD, MFG Crosswinds, 43" Samsung 4K TV, 21.5 Acer VT touchscreen, TrackIR, Varjo Aero, Wheel Stand Pro Super Warthog, Phanteks Enthoo Pro2 Full Tower Case, Seasonic GX-1200 ATX3 PSU, PointCTRL, Buttkicker 2, K-51 Helicopter Collective Control

3 hours ago, dburne said:

Ok I caved... ugh.

That was the extent of your willpower? Lol.  🙂  Honestly if not for having an IPD of pretty much exactly 72mm I would have just ordered a reverb for a much bigger bang for my buck.   The added 10 degrees of FOV is going to probably be negligible.  The bump in resolution as well considering the G2 is already pushing the limits of our hardware in DCS.

If it's the 10 degrees of FoV,  there's a nice little app called "VRNeckSafer" that will allow you to view 40 degrees further in any direction with a button push.   It's great for checking six without a swivel seat.    Probably still going to be using it with the Pro 2 if I keep it.  

Edited by Headwarp
Spoiler

Win 11 Pro, z790 i9 13900k, RTX 4090 , 64GB DDR 6400GB, OS and DCS are on separate pci-e 4.0 drives 

Sim hardware - VKB MCG Ultimate with 200mm extension, Virpil T-50CM3 Dual throttles.   Blackhog B-explorer (A), TM Cougar MFD's (two), MFG Crosswinds with dampener.   Obutto R3volution gaming pit.  

4 hours ago, dburne said:

Ok I caved... ugh.

Looking forward to your review !

9700k @ stock , Aorus Pro Z390 wifi , 32gb 3200 mhz CL16 , 1tb EVO 970 , MSI RX 6800XT Gaming X TRIO , Seasonic Prime 850w Gold , Coolermaster H500m , Noctua NH-D15S , CH Pro throttle and T50CM2/WarBrD base on Foxxmounts , CH pedals , Reverb G2v2

The touted 120 degree FOV remains to be seen. My Valve Index is only around 100 degree by my own measurement using SteamVR FOV test environment.

Vertical FOV is important to me and I look forward to doing measurement on this also (it’s 90 degree for the Index in case you’re interested). 

The increase in resolution of 22% over the Reverb G2 could be a nice improvement also (2.65 million pixels for both eyes). 

Edited by Supmua

PC: 5800X3D/4090, 11700K/3090, 9900K/2080Ti.

Joystick bases: TMW, VPC WarBRD, MT50CM2, VKB GFII, FSSB R3L

Joystick grips: TM (Warthog, F/A-18C), Realsimulator (F-16SGRH, F-18CGRH), VKB (Kosmosima LH, MCG, MCG Pro), VPC MongoosT50-CM2

Throttles: TMW, Winwing Super Taurus, Logitech Throttle Quadrant, Realsimulator Throttle (soon)

VR: HTC Vive/Pro, Oculus Rift/Quest 2, Valve Index, Varjo Aero, https://forum.dcs.world/topic/300065-varjo-aero-general-guide-for-new-owners/

35 minutes ago, Supmua said:

The touted 120 degree FOV remains to be seen. My Valve Index is only around 100 degree by my own measurement using SteamVR FOV test environment.

Vertical FOV is important to me and I look forward to doing measurement on this also (it’s 90 degree for the Index in case you’re interested). 

The increase in resolution of 22% over the Reverb G2 could be a nice improvement also (2.65 million pixels for both eyes). 

You seem to have a lot of headsets as it stands. 

It's my understanding that the dual lens design to achieve the 120 FOV is the same method the Index uses for it's claim of 130 degrees of FOV. 

The Reverb G2 is no slouch though with its resolution and as it stands.. while I can't speak for the RTX 3090,    AFAIK Reverb G2 users are already downscaling resolution at least somewhat for performance in DCSW.  

Just at a glance on paper.. the biggest difference I'd expect between the two is improved controller tracking from the Lighthouse base stations.. which I never use my controllers in DCSW.   It will be nice for HL: Alyx and Boneworks etc etc, but there are existing workarounds to use the knuckles with WMR headsets as it stands. 

I am fully anticipating having to downscale from the native resolution of the Pro 2 looking for that 45fps or 60fps minimum, personally, as I am certainly not about to drop 4 grand on a GPU that likely no longer has a valid warranty.  Even if my 2080Ti was ridiculously priced at MSRP.  cranking the SS% level in my Odyssey can get pretty rough at low altitudes.  

Edited by Headwarp
Spoiler

Win 11 Pro, z790 i9 13900k, RTX 4090 , 64GB DDR 6400GB, OS and DCS are on separate pci-e 4.0 drives 

Sim hardware - VKB MCG Ultimate with 200mm extension, Virpil T-50CM3 Dual throttles.   Blackhog B-explorer (A), TM Cougar MFD's (two), MFG Crosswinds with dampener.   Obutto R3volution gaming pit.  

I run my G2 at 100% Steam VR resolution with Motion Smoothing on and forced at 45 fps.

I anticipate doing the same with the Vive Pro 2.

It will be interesting to see what Steam VR assigns as 100% resolution for the new unit.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

35 minutes ago, dburne said:

I run my G2 at 100% Steam VR resolution with Motion Smoothing on and forced at 45 fps.

I anticipate doing the same with the Vive Pro 2.

It will be interesting to see what Steam VR assigns as 100% resolution for the new unit.

If the Reverb G2 would work with my big head, without a doubt I wouldn't even care about the Pro 2.  But, your money, your reasons.     Highly recommend trying out that VR Neck Safer thing I talked about if you haven't already.   It may well soothe the hype of added FoV.     It is it's own app that hooks into openVR.. so it works with any VR title.    VRNeckSafer is the program's title, despite the error in grammar.    This has been an absolutely lovely little tool to have being confined to the bucket seat in my Obutto pit.    Less likely to break my own in neck in a dogfight. It makes up for the "blinders" we wear in our VR goggles that make it hard to look over our shoulder.   You can assign button presses, or there's an automated setting that will shift your view depending on how far you turn your head, which I have yet to try. 

In your shoes I'd have probably just used that openvr tool that allows you to calibrate index controllers and base stations to work with the Reverb.   But that's me.  In fact that's my backup plan if performance vs resolution is unsatisfying for me in the Vive Pro 2, just with the Odyssey instead of the Reverb, and that's only for other VR titles.  

Edited by Headwarp
Spoiler

I run SteamVR with my Index at 222% SS (vertical resolution of 3000+ pixels, which is more than 2448 on the Pro 2). So with my current setup I should be able to run the Pro 2 at 100% and more. 

Joystick grips: TM (Warthog, F/A-18C), Realsimulator (F-16SGRH, F-18CGRH), VKB (Kosmosima LH, MCG, MCG Pro), VPC MongoosT50-CM2

Throttles: TMW, Winwing Super Taurus, Logitech Throttle Quadrant, Realsimulator Throttle (soon)

VR: HTC Vive/Pro, Oculus Rift/Quest 2, Valve Index, Varjo Aero, https://forum.dcs.world/topic/300065-varjo-aero-general-guide-for-new-owners/

20 minutes ago, Supmua said:

I run SteamVR with my Index at 222% SS (vertical resolution of 3000+ pixels, which is more than 2448 on the Pro 2). So with my current setup I should be able to run the Pro 2 at 100% and more. 

Yeah I was thinking about that.. you guys might be able to benefit from the 120hz refresh rate for 60fps reprojection as well.     Although.. I have to say I've really been enjoying running at 60hz refresh with the Odyssey and tuning for 60fps minimum.   Everyone keeps telling me there's a flicker with the Reverb headsets at 60hz Refresh though which I couldn't tell if it was related to dropping below 55-60fps or not once reprojection was off.    As long as I'm at 55-60fps in the Odyssey it's smooth like butter and I have a much easier time identifying something I'm looking at than I would with a 90hz refresh rate and reprojection on. 

Kind of a mute point for anybody who doesn't already own a 3090 though unless they're willing to pay scalper prices, which is just idiotic.    I'm certainly not looking forward to a 12GB card release and who knows if or when 3090 production will resume.   I may just wait out the next generation anyway and pre-order.  I don't think I'm ready to spend even MSRP prices on a 3090 just yet. 

But, this may be something that leads me to keeping the Pro 2 regardless of how I feel about it initially.. as far as DCSW and flight simming goes, both software and hardware have room to catch up with the displays of the highest resolution headsets on the market right now, and even still older headsets.   Ultimately, we want that 90fps or 120fps minimum.  

Edited by Headwarp
Spoiler

Agreed on the GPU pricing right now. The RTX 30 series procings are now horrid and I’m glad I got mine at MSRP.  I hope people don’t scalp the Vive Pro 2 like that. 

1 hour ago, Headwarp said:

If the Reverb G2 would work with my big head, without a doubt I wouldn't even care about the Pro 2.  But, your money, your reasons.     Highly recommend trying out that VR Neck Safer thing I talked about if you haven't already.   It may well soothe the hype of added FoV.     It is it's own app that hooks into openVR.. so it works with any VR title.    VRNeckSafer is the program's title, despite the error in grammar.    This has been an absolutely lovely little tool to have being confined to the bucket seat in my Obutto pit.    Less likely to break my own in neck in a dogfight. It makes up for the "blinders" we wear in our VR goggles that make it hard to look over our shoulder.   You can assign button presses, or there's an automated setting that will shift your view depending on how far you turn your head, which I have yet to try. 

In your shoes I'd have probably just used that openvr tool that allows you to calibrate index controllers and base stations to work with the Reverb.   But that's me.  In fact that's my backup plan if performance vs resolution is unsatisfying for me in the Vive Pro 2, just with the Odyssey instead of the Reverb, and that's only for other VR titles.  

Thanks but yeah I am familiar with that program.

For me I actually prefer the 1:1 head movement in VR.

26 minutes ago, Supmua said:

Yeah and native resolution is always better.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

7 minutes ago, dburne said:

Thanks but yeah I am familiar with that program.

For me I actually prefer the 1:1 head movement in VR.

Yeah and native resolution is always better.

It's almost impossible to look over my shoulder in my seat with the horse blinders on.   But it is a fixed seat.. no swivel so.   The app is pretty amazing when I need to check six and don't have a datalink telling me where everybody is.     I can clearly see directly behind me looking over my shoulder in my pickup truck.    Even if the Pro 2 does a true 120 degrees it isn't going to fix the horse blinder feel. 

I stuck with button presses, because I have plenty of buttons between the MCGU and T-50CM3.  Just a quick tap to check behind me.  Instant improvement ime.  

Edited by Headwarp
Spoiler

I may be a sucker, but the lure of G2-or-better image quality with Index-level tracking put me over the edge and I’ve preordered. Hopefully my 2080ti can hold up until 3080/90s can be reasonably had.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Fizzle said:

I may be a sucker, but the lure of G2-or-better image quality with Index-level tracking put me over the edge and I’ve preordered. Hopefully my 2080ti can hold up until 3080/90s can be reasonably had.

By the time the 30 series can be reasonably had, it'll be time for the 40 series or RDNA 3.

1 hour ago, Fizzle said:

If one already has the Index Lighthouse system it is almost a no brainer to get the headset.

Don B

It looks like the official tweet from HTC states that the horizontal FOV is indeed 120 degrees and the difference vs other AIOs is dramatic.  This could be huge if true, but I’ll remain skeptical for the time being. 

it doesn't come with any hand controllers or light house.What a bugger.Anyone hazzard a guess as to what those items cost and do you need the hand controllers if your only doing simming.The head set is on pre order for 1450 nz dollars.

Just a heads up for those that pre-ordered.

Whilst my purchase receipt stated my card would not be charged until the product shipped, the charge came through in full on my credit card this morning. It is not a problem on my end, just was unexpected yet. Pretty sure they had stated shipment would be sometime in June..

• Like 1

Don B

On 5/13/2021 at 11:27 PM, Dinga said:

it doesn't come with any hand controllers or light house.What a bugger.Anyone hazzard a guess as to what those items cost and do you need the hand controllers if your only doing simming.The head set is on pre order for 1450 nz dollars.

Lighthouses available on HTC web site. V2 costs 199USD free shipping in USA. I believe only one is needed for stationary, seated use like DCS.

On 5/15/2021 at 7:50 AM, dburne said:

Just a heads up for those that pre-ordered.

Whilst my purchase receipt stated my card would not be charged until the product shipped, the charge came through in full on my credit card this morning. It is not a problem on my end, just was unexpected yet. Pretty sure they had stated shipment would be sometime in June..

They specifically state "Credit cards."  So debit card and other means of payment I think still get billed up front. 

Spoiler

1 hour ago, Headwarp said:

They specifically state "Credit cards."  So debit card and other means of payment I think still get billed up front. 

After some dialogue with some others, seems it is likely because I went through PayPal ( using my CC) rather than the CC direct.

PayPal customers charges are going through, whereas just using CC directly they are not.

Don B

It seems Sharp's LCD panels will be in these new HTC headsets.  They have pretty good contrast ratio for a VR screen at least 1100:1 compared to a typical VR screen (Reverb G2 for example, 700:1).  This ratio is still nothing much when compared with top TVs from Samsung (>8000:1), or OELD (near infinite).  A 3rd party eye tracking module is also coming for both new headsets in Q3 for $299.

Edited by Supmua