Caution when buying from Newegg!

aleader

I've been buying from them since 2011. I recently bought a widescreen monitor for use with DCS, DIDN'T OPEN IT as I changed my mind, and returned it to them at my expense (cost me $60 to ship it back to Ontario, plus I lost the original $10 shipping). I have NEVER returned anything to them before. 

I get the return invoice today and here they charged me a $90 restocking fee because they said I opened it!!!  What a load of absolute BS!! The box had a small piece of tape holding it closed, that's it.  I even taped over that with my shipping label just to be sure it couldn't be tampered with.  I chatted with their support, they wouldn't budge.  They said I needed to 'prove' that it was unopened.  They could easily just slice the tape and say I opened it.  What a bush-league joke.

After this experience I will NEVER buy anything from them again.  Only Costco, Memory Express, Canada Computers, or Amazon. I've never had any issues returning things to any of them.  What a bad taste this leaves in my mouth...

Edited by aleader

"I mean, I guess it would just be a guy who you know, grabs bananas and runs. Or, um, a banana that grabs things. Why would a banana grab another banana? I mean, those are the kind of questions I don't want to answer." - Michael Bluth

Well thing with newegg now is they have 3rd party sellers. Are you sure it was not a 3rd party seller as they are usually who I have issues with and try to avoid if possible now that I know..

ASRock Z590 Phantom Gaming 4/AC / Intel i7 10700K @ 5.1Ghz / Noctua DHS-14 Heatsinkw/Fan /  Samsung 970plus m.2 1TB  /  eVGA FTW3 2080Ti /  RipJaws - 64GB RAM @3200  /  SoundBlaster Z  / Reverb G2 VR /  ThrustMaster HOTAS Cougar & MFD's / Buttkicker Gamer 2

DUDE HOLD UP TELL THEM YOU WILL HIT THEM WITH LEMON LAW THEY HAVE TO PROVE YOU DID OPEN IT NOT THE OTHER WAY AROUND!!!! 100% TRUTH HERE!!!!!!  Just something you should know that this is not bullshit by law they have to prove you did its not the other way around and tell them you dont care to get a lawyer and sue them to include court cost and lawyer fees, and there is some great ones lol.    

Edited by Gumbie

Yah, don't accept this !

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL14 - Asus 1080ti EK-waterblock - 4x Samsung 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@9x120mm Noctua F12 - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Corsair K70 RGB Pro - Win11 Pro/Linux - Phanteks Evolv-X 

3 hours ago, Gumbie said:

DUDE HOLD UP TELL THEM YOU WILL HIT THEM WITH LEMON LAW THEY HAVE TO PROVE YOU DID OPEN IT NOT THE OTHER WAY AROUND!!!! 100% TRUTH HERE!!!!!!  Just something you should know that this is not bullshit by law they have to prove you did its not the other way around and tell them you dont care to get a lawyer and sue them to include court cost and lawyer fees, and there is some great ones lol.    

I suggest you try and get in contact with someone from Newegg higher up in the company's hierarchies. Often, the first line of contact (callcenter folks) will try to wave you off.. While in the end, for large companies, these things are peanuts and satisfied customers (with their mouth-to-mouth marketing) are worth much more.

Fwiw:

I had a similar case last year, when I ordered two new phones from a large local company.

I picked up (and signed for receiving) the package at the post office, only to find out at home that there was only one phone inside...

Initially the company told me, I should report it to the police as "theft" (which would obviously bring me nowhere)

Only after I had my legal counsel sent this company an official letter, the company escalated the problem and got back to me with their apologies, the missing phone and a €30,- voucher.

tl;dr, I advise you to escalate the problem to someone with a "higher rank" 😉 

Oh yeah, and as a bonus advise: drop the monitor al together and go VR! :pilotfly:

Edited by sirrah

System specs:

i7-8700K @stock speed - GTX 1080TI @ stock speed - AsRock Extreme4 Z370 - 32GB DDR4 @3GHz- 500GB SSD - 2TB nvme - 650W PSU

HP Reverb G1 v2 - Saitek Pro pedals - TM Warthog HOTAS - TM F/A-18 Grip - TM Cougar HOTAS (NN-Dan mod) & (throttle standalone mod) - VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Plus with ALPHA-L grip - Pointctrl & aux banks <-- must have for VR users!! - Andre's SimShaker Jetpad - Fully adjustable DIY playseat - VA+VAICOM

~ That nuke might not have been the best of ideas, Sir... the enemy is furious ~ GUMMBAH

41 minutes ago, sirrah said:

I suggest you try and get in contact with someone from Newegg higher up in the company's hierarchies. Often, the first line of contact (callcenter folks) will try to wave you off.. While in the end, for large companies, these things are peanuts and satisfied customers (with their mouth-to-mouth marketing) are worth much more.

Fwiw:

I had a similar case last year, when I ordered two new phones from a large local company.

I picked up (and signed for receiving) the package at the post office, only to find out at home that there was only one phone inside...

Initially the company told me, I should report it to the police as "theft" (which would obviously bring me nowhere)

Only after I had my legal counsel sent this company an official letter, the company escalated the problem and got back to me with their apologies, the missing phone and a €30,- voucher.

tl;dr, I advise you to escalate the problem to someone with a "higher rank" 😉 

Oh yeah, and as a bonus advise: drop the monitor al together and go VR! :pilotfly:

You consulted legal counsel for 30 euros?  Was the counsel free?

For those of us with no legal connection, always file complaint at BBB and California State Attorney General's Office.

Edited by Taz1004

6 minutes ago, Taz1004 said:

You consulted legal counsel for 30 euros?  Was the counsel free?

No, I have legal counsel as part of a larger insurance package A pretty common thing to have here in the Netherlands and quite cheap as well (they're not the best, but ideal for cases like these). No idea how this works in other countries.

All I was saying; With or without legal help, I'd try to escalate the problem to someone with some actual leverage within Newegg, instead of the standard "complaints department". I know.. easier said then done. Usually legal counsellors have other (better) ways to contact companies.

System specs:

i7-8700K @stock speed - GTX 1080TI @ stock speed - AsRock Extreme4 Z370 - 32GB DDR4 @3GHz- 500GB SSD - 2TB nvme - 650W PSU

HP Reverb G1 v2 - Saitek Pro pedals - TM Warthog HOTAS - TM F/A-18 Grip - TM Cougar HOTAS (NN-Dan mod) & (throttle standalone mod) - VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Plus with ALPHA-L grip - Pointctrl & aux banks <-- must have for VR users!! - Andre's SimShaker Jetpad - Fully adjustable DIY playseat - VA+VAICOM

~ That nuke might not have been the best of ideas, Sir... the enemy is furious ~ GUMMBAH

You should be able to win this hands down again Lemon Law is where your going to want to stick this product because there saying you opened it which you said you did not they have to prove that you did to charge you the fee, again don't let them push you over and if you do have a layer have him fill paper work to take them to court or report it to one of the News outlets and have them to ask NEWEGG why there charging restock fees for unopened products!   Business do not like bad feedback at all so push them hard!!!

On 5/6/2021 at 10:10 PM, The_Nephilim said:

Well thing with newegg now is they have 3rd party sellers. Are you sure it was not a 3rd party seller as they are usually who I have issues with and try to avoid if possible now that I know..

This is what it smells like to me - I can't see Newegg being like this but... @aleader please clarify if it was a third party or Newegg "proper".

• Like 1

had some issue with furniture purchase last year, after multiple broken products sent to me, multiple phone tags, multiple technicians report. I decided to get my bank to work for me by Credit Dispute. Got all my money, and end up sending broken furniture and parts to trash.

Ryzen 1700 @ 3.8GHz / 32GB( 4x8 ) @ 3.2GHz / 1TB ADATA NVMe System Drive / 232GB NVMe Samsung 960 / ASUS dual RTX 2080ti / Reverb / Rift CV1 / T-16000M FCS flight pack

A10C/M2000C/F5E/SA342/Mi8/UH1H/KA50/AJS-37/FA-18C/AV-8B/F-14/Mig29/CA/SU-27

• 3 weeks later...

Dude! I have had an even worse experience.  I have had a lot of luck and saved money by buying "open box" items, my 1080 is giving me problems at exactly the wrong time to buy a graphics card, so I found a "open box" IBuyPower prebuilt at Newegg.  I have a UPS account so I can track all delivers to and from me, I get the package from Newegg in a pristine box, I open the box and see a completely disassembled PC, no foam, no anti static bags, absolutely nothing to protect the PC parts from bouncing around banging into each other.  The parts were trashed, packed into the PC case in this order, RTX graphics card and CPU cooler ontop of the motherboard, underneath the mother board was the Ryzen CPU....in a F'ing kitchen ziplock bag.  Any person and I do mean any person could see these parts were broken, the big RTX card was bent it did not have anything to protect it or its PCI slot, the mother board, put into a normal plastic bag, had enough force applied to grind and tear that bag, so I'll let you guess what it did to the micro traces or caps and resistors on the board, the Ryzen CPU in its ziplock had 1/3rd of its pin crushed, not bent, crushed, will break off if you try to straighten, the power supply had been unscrewed, the case was scratched and bent, and to top it all off the M.2 hard drive was missing.  UPS dropped it off around 1230, I was speaking to a Newegg rep at 1245, at first they wanted to know about the shipping box, the rep was trying anything they could to blame UPS for the damage, I told them the box was pristine,...trying to blame UPS for a completely disassembled PC????...the rep then wanted me to make an account to some image site to upload pics of the damage....I have a F'ing email address and no I will not make an account, while I was trying to upload the pics and send them the rep disconnected...  I finally got another rep, uploaded the pics, it was then they only authorized a return, not a refund, a "we will inspect it and let you know".  I tried letting them know that I could prove with my UPS account that less than 20 minutes passed between the delivery and the time I started speaking with a customer service rep, so that there was no way I could have disassembled and destroyed and entice PC.  In desperation I sent an email to IBuyPower, it took them 2 months to respond.  Again with my UPS account I could see that my return was accepted by Newegg, a week went by before they sent me an email stating they were inspecting it, it took about another week for them to authorize a refund and 5-7 business days later I got my refund.  I tried so hard to get Newegg to explain what happened, every rep told me that "ALL" returns are inspected before they are resold, I told them you are either lying or trying to screw someone, which is it?  It took over a month to get my money back, in that time I saw a couple of prebuilts with 3080s sell out, a PC I could have bought if Newegg had given me my money.  Btw, when IBuyPower did respond, 2 months later, they gave canned answers of "we're sorry, so you got a refund, everything is fine, you're a valued customer, how can we help".

I didn't want a new PC, mine broke, I needed a part, a part that is almost impossible to get.  Newegg and IBuyPower never acknowledged that they screwed a customer over, Newegg never said "sorry, we screwed up" it seems like they tried to blame anyone else, IBuyPower did not care that Newegg was trashing their brand.  I told both companies I don't have alot of money, because they held my money I missed several chances to buy the part I needed.  I will never give Newegg or IBuyPower a dime, I will trash them every chance I get.  I can upload the pics and screens shots to back up everything I have said.

Just heads up when shit like this happens to you and they have your cash and then they have something you would prefer to have you can 98% of the time contact Newegg and tell them look you have my money and now you have this product that I would like to get instead and 90% of time you will get swapped out faster then waiting for the cash return.

• 4 weeks later...

I was not happy with the shipping packaging of the motherboard i bought from NewEgg . Undersize box provided no protection of factory packaging/motherboard . Sure enough , the wifi antenna connectors were bashed . Fortunately , i was able to straighten and use them , but I don't think i'll buy from NewEgg again . 

9700k @ stock , Aorus Pro Z390 wifi , 32gb 3200 mhz CL16 , 1tb EVO 970 , MSI RX 6800XT Gaming X TRIO , Seasonic Prime 850w Gold , Coolermaster H500m , Noctua NH-D15S , CH Pro throttle and T50CM2/WarBrD base on Foxxmounts , CH pedals , Reverb G2v2