various lightning effects would be nice.

Nope no more additional work on any of the weather system or new features until they sort out vibrating clouds in VR.  Frankly given that this is the main "annual" update it should have been right at launch.  

Be thankful for those of you that play on a monitor and appreciate the new clouds that do not bounce up and down and look blurred at distance in VR.  Its a mess at present.

• Like 5

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

DCS & BMS

F14B | AV-8B | F15E | F18C | F16C | F5 | F86 | A10C | JF17 | Viggen |Mirage 2000 | F1 |  L-39 | C101 | Mig15 | Mig21 | Mig29 | SU27 | SU33 | F15C | AH64 | MI8 | Mi24 | Huey | KA50 | Gazelle | P47 | P51 | BF109 | FW190A/D | Spitfire | Mossie | CA | Persian Gulf | Nevada | Normandy | Channel | Syria | South Atlantic | Sinai 

Liquid Cooled ROG 690 13700K @ 5.9Ghz | RTX3090 FTW Ultra | 64GB DDR4 3600 MHz | 2x2TB SSD m2 Samsung 980/990 | Pimax Crystal/Reverb G2 | MFG Crosswinds | Virpil T50/CM3 | Winwing & Cougar MFD's | Buddyfox UFC | Winwing TOP & CP | Jetseat

Nope no more additional work on any of the weather system or new features until they sort out vibrating clouds in VR.  Frankly given that this is the main "annual" update it should have been right at launch.  

Be thankful for those of you that play on a monitor and appreciate the new clouds that do not bounce up and down and look blurred at distance in VR.  Its a mess at present.
I mean, I don't disagree with you, that they should fix the present issues before moving on, but "thankful" to be playing on a monitor? Everyone with VR can also play on a monitor, if they so choose.

The vCVW-17 is looking for Hornet and Tomcat pilots and RIOs. Join the vCVW-17 Discord.

CVW-17_Profile_Background_VFA-34.png

F/A-18C, F-15E, AV-8B, F-16C, JF-17, A-10C/CII, M-2000C, F-14, AH-64D, BS2, UH-1H, P-51D, Sptifire, FC3
-
i9-13900K, 64GB @6400MHz RAM, 4090 Strix OC, Samsung 990 Pro

3 hours ago, Hawkeye_UK said:

FWIW, they do the same bouncing and movement in 2D - it's the exact same effect - just in VR the camera is more jittery, so the clouds look jittery.

But if I take a plane, fly level with some clouds and oscillate up and down, the clouds bounce up and down - copying what I'm doing, which is probably quite nauseating for some people.

Edited by Northstar98

Modules I own: F-14A/B, Mi-24P, AV-8B N/A, AJS 37, F-5E-3, MiG-21bis, F-16CM, F/A-18C, Supercarrier, Mi-8MTV2, UH-1H, Mirage 2000C, FC3, MiG-15bis, Ka-50, A-10C (+ A-10C II), P-47D, P-51D, C-101, Yak-52, WWII Assets, CA, NS430, Hawk.

Terrains I own: South Atlantic, Syria, The Channel, SoH/PG, Marianas.

System:

GIGABYTE B650 AORUS ELITE AX, AMD Ryzen 5 7600, Corsair Vengeance DDR5-5200 32 GB, Western Digital Black SN850X 1 TB (DCS dedicated) & 2 TB NVMe SSDs, Corsair RM850X 850 W, NZXT H7 Flow, MSI G274CV.

Peripherals: VKB Gunfighter Mk.II w. MCG Pro, MFG Crosswind V3 Graphite, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro.

7 hours ago, Harker said:
10 hours ago, Hawkeye_UK said:

I mean, I don't disagree with you, that they should fix the present issues before moving on, but "thankful" to be playing on a monitor? Everyone with VR can also play on a monitor, if they so choose.

I find playing the game on a monitor pointless, would rather do something else with my time.  Know quite a few that have the same thoughts.  ED need to really embrace VR more given that it really is the future, monitors wont exist for gaming in 10-15 years its thats simple.

• Like 2

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

DCS & BMS

F14B | AV-8B | F15E | F18C | F16C | F5 | F86 | A10C | JF17 | Viggen |Mirage 2000 | F1 |  L-39 | C101 | Mig15 | Mig21 | Mig29 | SU27 | SU33 | F15C | AH64 | MI8 | Mi24 | Huey | KA50 | Gazelle | P47 | P51 | BF109 | FW190A/D | Spitfire | Mossie | CA | Persian Gulf | Nevada | Normandy | Channel | Syria | South Atlantic | Sinai 

Liquid Cooled ROG 690 13700K @ 5.9Ghz | RTX3090 FTW Ultra | 64GB DDR4 3600 MHz | 2x2TB SSD m2 Samsung 980/990 | Pimax Crystal/Reverb G2 | MFG Crosswinds | Virpil T50/CM3 | Winwing & Cougar MFD's | Buddyfox UFC | Winwing TOP & CP | Jetseat

I find playing the game on a monitor pointless, would rather do something else with my time.  Know quite a few that have the same thoughts.  ED need to really embrace VR more given that it really is the future, monitors wont exist for gaming in 10-15 years its thats simple.
I'm not arguing that DCS loses its appeal to some people if they can't use VR (although monitors will definitely still be a thing for a long time, IMO), but the idea that people without VR should be thankful for the fact that they don't have VR is... weird, considering that VR is not forced upon you and you certainly own a monitor. It's like saying that people without cars should be thankful they don't have cars, because gas prices went up, whereas the option of public transport exists. Weird notion is all I'm saying.

Again, I do agree with you that they should focus on fixing existing issues first or at least continue development in such a manner that will remedy such issues as soon as possible.

The vCVW-17 is looking for Hornet and Tomcat pilots and RIOs. Join the vCVW-17 Discord.

CVW-17_Profile_Background_VFA-34.png

F/A-18C, F-15E, AV-8B, F-16C, JF-17, A-10C/CII, M-2000C, F-14, AH-64D, BS2, UH-1H, P-51D, Sptifire, FC3
-
i9-13900K, 64GB @6400MHz RAM, 4090 Strix OC, Samsung 990 Pro

What a bunch of whining. You just received the greatest update in an age for free and you whine. You are playing a BETA by your own choice. ED is aware of the issues and are working on them- as stated many times. Like you said, you'd rather do something else with you time unless do your liking; go ahead and do it. From what I hear, VR is already much improved in terms of cloud detail on the first patch. Many more are obviously coming.

Since I am at it; the OP as well; the lighting IS improved. The sim looks fantastic compared to pre-patch. You have receive a huge graphical update and your 'contructive' contribution to the team is to add more effects? I am sure they never thought of that themselves- but now that you have reminded them, they will probably get right down to it. 

It is one thing to lament about issues that have been around for years and years and been neglected. That is fair. This is something else.

• Like 2

I agree...  But the patch notes say they'll have lightning effects etc in the future.  It's already in the works :).

Also...

"Nope no more additional work on any of the weather system or new features until they sort out vibrating clouds in VR.  Frankly given that this is the main "annual" update it should have been right at launch."  

Ehh... No.

This is not "the main "annual" update".  There is no such thing.  This is just "2.7".  It is a significant release, yes... but not a "main annual update".

Also...

If you're playing 2.7...  you're playing a beta.  So your assertation that it "should have been right at launch" would be correct for when 2.7 gets pushed to stable.  And I suspect it will be.

Please think more and type less :).  Thank you :).

You know...  sometimes I think the forums should be invite only or something...

• Like 2

Nvidia RTX3080 (HP Reverb), AMD 3800x

Asus Prime X570P, 64GB G-Skill RipJaw 3600

Saitek X-65F and Fanatec Club-Sport Pedals (Using VJoy and Gremlin to remap Throttle and Clutch into a Rudder axis)

7 hours ago, REDEYE_CVW-66 said:

What a bunch of whining. You just received the greatest update in an age for free and you whine. You are playing a BETA by your own choice. ED is aware of the issues and are working on them- as stated many times. Like you said, you'd rather do something else with you time unless do your liking; go ahead and do it. From what I hear, VR is already much improved in terms of cloud detail on the first patch. Many more are obviously coming.

Since I am at it; the OP as well; the lighting IS improved. The sim looks fantastic compared to pre-patch. You have receive a huge graphical update and your 'contructive' contribution to the team is to add more effects? I am sure they never thought of that themselves- but now that you have reminded them, they will probably get right down to it. 

It is one thing to lament about issues that have been around for years and years and been neglected. That is fair. This is something else.

so you dont even fly in VR re "from what i hear" yet your commenting on the situation.  I rest my case on this point, perhaps comment when you have first hand experience of the situation rather than pointless comment on something you have no knowledge of.  Also not whining but before more resources are put onto new features they need to sort out the mountain of bugs that already exist.  Also for the record i was also in favour of not having new clouds until they sorted out the engine, multiplayer netcode, combined arms and the numerous issues that severly hamper mission creators for MP.  Again not popular to the airquake and people that just play easy missions in pve or just in single player, but the game has so many bugs and issues, memory leaks and crashes that they should focus on these prior to dressing the windows.  As for Open Beta, your clearly dont have any grasp of the situation, stable has many issues also.  Love the game just saying need to sort out the foundations prior to trying to satisfy the clouds and rainbows brigade.  Checking out of this post.

Edited by Hawkeye_UK
  • Like 2

DCS & BMS

6 hours ago, M1Combat said:

I agree...  But the patch notes say they'll have lightning effects etc in the future.  It's already in the works :).

Also...

"Nope no more additional work on any of the weather system or new features until they sort out vibrating clouds in VR.  Frankly given that this is the main "annual" update it should have been right at launch."  

Ehh... No.

This is not "the main "annual" update".  There is no such thing.  This is just "2.7".  It is a significant release, yes... but not a "main annual update".

Also...

If you're playing 2.7...  you're playing a beta.  So your assertation that it "should have been right at launch" would be correct for when 2.7 gets pushed to stable.  And I suspect it will be.

Please think more and type less :).  Thank you :).

You know...  sometimes I think the forums should be invite only or something...

At this time of the year they generally push a main update that is yes annual when it comes to the engine.  If you think the clounds and weather system is not a primary update for the engine this year then your going to be dissapointed.  As for your praising stable i think you are clearly clueless with the state of the game as per your patronising think more and type less comments.  I could post a whole long list of issues with stable, dont be delusional.  As i said in the last post love the game, but they need to sort out the engine prior to building on bad code.  The game issues really only appear more in MP and when stretching DCS to the limits (which in terms of engine is limited), not simple campaigns that are pre purchases or pve on hoggit, or pve in single player.

DCS & BMS

15 hours ago, Hawkeye_UK said:

so you dont even fly in VR re "from what i hear" yet your commenting on the situation.  I rest my case on this point, perhaps comment when you have first hand experience of the situation rather than pointless comment on something you have no knowledge of.  Also not whining but before more resources are put onto new features they need to sort out the mountain of bugs that already exist.  Also for the record i was also in favour of not having new clouds until they sorted out the engine, multiplayer netcode, combined arms and the numerous issues that severly hamper mission creators for MP.  Again not popular to the airquake and people that just play easy missions in pve or just in single player, but the game has so many bugs and issues, memory leaks and crashes that they should focus on these prior to dressing the windows.  As for Open Beta, your clearly dont have any grasp of the situation, stable has many issues also.  Love the game just saying need to sort out the foundations prior to trying to satisfy the clouds and rainbows brigade.  Checking out of this post.

Well, first of all, I have VR- but I use it on and off. And I have enough grasp of the situation to by running a virtual wing for a couple of years, making missions and generally using DCS extensively over a period of 6-7 years. If you check my comment as well, you can see that I do not in any way deny that there are technical issues with DCS; there are plenty. Many of them agonizing due to the fact that they have remained unadressed for years, which I point out I my post. My point is referring to the whining of initial launch problems that have been adressed by the developers as a priority issue and are improving patch by patch. The graphical effects and the clouds, for VR specifically. As for having knowledge about VR without using it myself, it is because half my group uses it and discusses it vigorously. Grasp that if you can.

"Frankly given that this is the main "annual" update it should have been right at launch."

Yeah...  still a no sir.

for sure there is a "most interesting patch of the year" I suppose but that's a different thing for each person.  It's not like 2.6 came out as the "main annual patch"...  hell... it came out just after 2.5.  A couple years ago.  Both were quite significant.

Anyway...  It's cool if you feel like 2.7 is significant...  as it is...  and it may be the most significant patch of the year...  but there's not a "yearly cycle" where it would be correct to say this is "the main "annual" patch".  It just doesn't work that way sir.

Regarding "should have been right at launch...

Wrong again sir.

It hasn't launched.

It's in Open Beta.

Trying to become "right" for "launch".

Thank you.  Drive through.

Nvidia RTX3080 (HP Reverb), AMD 3800x

Asus Prime X570P, 64GB G-Skill RipJaw 3600

Saitek X-65F and Fanatec Club-Sport Pedals (Using VJoy and Gremlin to remap Throttle and Clutch into a Rudder axis)

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/7/2021 at 10:32 AM, Hawkeye_UK said:

Sure they will. Monitors are still pretty much the universal standard. Also, not everyone wants to drop $2000+ for a graphics card and more for a VR headset.

Admittedly, it's been a while since I've tried VR, but when I did it was awful. Really bad motion blur, the world blurs whenever you move your head. Really bad resolution too. Considering the wide field of view, you probably need a bare minimum of 4K resolution for decent detail, and since there are two screens, you need a BEAST of a graphics card. Realistically, for something like DCS, probably the RTX 3090 or Radeon RX 6900 XT are the only ones that are finally up to the task--and, they cost a mint if you can find one.

AD

Kit:

B550 Aorus Elite AX V2, Ryzen 7 5800X w/ Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE, 2 x 16GB Kingston Fury DDR4 @3600MHz C16, Gigabyte RTX 3070 Windforce 8GB, EVGA SuperNova 750 G2 PSU, HP Omen 32" 2560x1440, Thrustmaster Cougar HOTAS fitted with Leo Bodnar's BU0836A controller.

--Flying is the art of throwing yourself at the ground, and having all the rules and regulations get in the way!

If man was meant to fly, he would have been born with a lot more money!

@Hawkeye_UK Sir, the 2.7 update was in open beta. So... nothing has to be right from the start up. So to clear that out. You are writing like it should all be perfect without any bugs, but the fact is that the open beta is a bit of open testing for general public and to get some feedback to developers. About VR experience I will not speak, since I have not any in VR.

Regards.

ASUS N552VX | i7-6700HQ @ 2.59GHz | 16 GB DDR3 | NVIDIA GF GTX 950M 4 Gb | 250 Gb SSD | 1 Tb HD SATA II Backup | TIR4 | Microsoft S. FF 2+X52 Throttle+Saitek Pedals | Win 10 64 bits